Recommendations for what to do after diving at Eden's Rock.

Tmaxx1

My cruise ship gets into port in Georgetown @ 7am and leaves at 4pm. I am planning on getting off the ship and walking to Eden's Rock dive shop for a Discover Scuba dive. The dive starts at 9am and lasts 3 hours until 12pm. Once we are done with the dive at 12pm, we will probably get a quick bite to eat and then look for something else to do before the cruise ship leaves at 4pm. Is it feasible to catch a cab to 7 mile beach and spend a few hours there? Do the buses run by the Eden Rock dive shop or would I need to walk back to the cruise port and catch the bus there?What time is recommended to leave the beach and head back to the cruise ship if it departs at 4pm?

Thanks.

You could catch a cab to 7 Mile Beach or take the yellow or lime green bus routes (see thebusschedule.com/EN/ky). I would probably try to have them drop off more towards the south end of 7 Mile Beach, so you have more time to enjoy it. Maybe near the Marriott. Personally, I would probably take a cab back in case the buses are behind schedule, but that is just me. I tend to worry about the time. I believe you have to be back on the ship at least 30 minutes prior to departure. Also remember to allow time for tendering. The last time we left Cayman, and I think we got in line about 4pm, the line was HUGE. The tenders do hold quite a few people though. I don't think we waited longer than 15-20 minutes.

How much should I expect to pay per person for a cab ride?

You could catch a cab to 7 Mile Beach or take the yellow or lime green bus routes (see thebusschedule.com/EN/ky). I would probably try to have them drop off more towards the south end of 7 Mile Beach, so you have more time to enjoy it. Maybe near the Marriott. Personally, I would probably take a cab back in case the buses are behind schedule, but that is just me. I tend to worry about the time. I believe you have to be back on the ship at least 30 minutes prior to departure. Also remember to allow time for tendering. The last time we left Cayman, and I think we got in line about 4pm, the line was HUGE. The tenders do hold quite a few people though. I don't think we waited longer than 15-20 minutes.

everything in Cayman is expensive so expect the taxi to be more than you expect!

I'd not bother with a trip to 7 Mile unless you have a sand desire ..... a beach is a beach IMO .... 7 Mile is nice BUT ....

after your time at EDEN I'd head across the street for a leisurely lunch at Guy Harvey's

there's a nice second story outside dining area overlooking the harbor and your dive site with above average food (as compared to Paradise or M'ville or Hard Rock ..... ugh) see menu at http://www.guyharveysgrill.com/

{and when you look at the menu, YES it is expensive BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE ..... the prices are $CAYMAN, so add 20% for US price .... and THEN figure in the tip too. I look at it as computing a 40 to 45% tip ..... the prices are not out of line for Cayman ....}

Then walk back towards the tender landing which is just a few blocks away ... you'll pass some shopping if you need any 'must haves' ... it can easily be 3pm or later by now and time to get in the line for the tender. And won't have been running around looking for bus/taxi or worrying about time ...

Been to Cayman many times since the mid 80's .... not just for cruises but work and week at a time dive trips .... it is a great place but NOTHING is 'inexpensive' .

Edited by Capt_BJ

If you've been at the beach, snorkeling for 3 hours...that's A LOT of Caribbean sun....do you REALLY need beach time? I'd opt for a nice lunch, drinks, and a stroll around the area..then head back to a virtually empty ship for a while.

Caribbean beaches are narrow, and while the water is gorgeous....if you've been to many beaches, they aren't "must do's"....at least, IMO. You will have done the "beachy" thing while snorkeling!

If you've been at the beach, snorkeling for 3 hours...that's A LOT of Caribbean sun....do you REALLY need beach time? I'd opt for a nice lunch, drinks, and a stroll around the area..then head back to a virtually empty ship for a while.

Caribbean beaches are narrow, and while the water is gorgeous....if you've been to many beaches, they aren't "must do's"....at least, IMO. You will have done the "beachy" thing while snorkeling!

As the Eden Rock area has no beach, it's ironshore (rock) with steps leading down to the water, they will have had zero beach time after snorkelling. They'll have been in the sun for a bit, but not for the full three hours by any stretch of the imagination.

After snorkeling for three hours, I would love a beach (with some shade which you can find at most beaches) and a tall cool drink to just lay back and chill and rejuvenate for awhile. As has been said many, many times "different strokes".

OP is not snorkeling, they are doing a Discovery Dive (DD)

but this does not mean they won't get sun

a DD involves some 'class time' and this MAY be done outside. And a DD usually involves some shallow water or pool time - aka MORE SUN

then the dive ..... then some 'debrief' typically at the same place as the pre-class. So maybe more sun .....

hence my recommendation for some assured shade, cool drinks and good food .... Guy Harvey's. A short walk from Eden vs a bus or a taxi ....

My cruise ship gets into port in Georgetown @ 7am and leaves at 4pm. I am planning on getting off the ship and walking to Eden's Rock dive shop for a Discover Scuba dive. The dive starts at 9am and lasts 3 hours until 12pm. Once we are done with the dive at 12pm, we will probably get a quick bite to eat and then look for something else to do before the cruise ship leaves at 4pm. Is it feasible to catch a cab to 7 mile beach and spend a few hours there? Do the buses run by the Eden Rock dive shop or would I need to walk back to the cruise port and catch the bus there?What time is recommended to leave the beach and head back to the cruise ship if it departs at 4pm?

Thanks.

As Capt BJ has recommended, if you a Guy Harvey fan, that would be a great stop. Also I think he still has T-shirt shop next door with the upstairs full of Guy Harvey prints and paintings. Some are actually reasonably priced. We pick up a couple and while we went to get some lunch, Dr. Harvey signed them with a personal note to us as well.