REVIEW Spirit 12 Day Grand Mediterranean 5/7-5/19

cardbucfan

Angie,

Great review - thanks.

We had a blast and saw so many great things, but one of the best things was the fun we had with all the cruise critic members.

Until we sail again,

John

John, I think we need a reunion cruise lol!

Thanks for your review, it was very helpful. We are going on Spirit in Nov 2016. We also live in Tampa and were able to get American Airlines thru Miami to BCN and return from Milan thru Miami to Tampa. I looked at Lufthansa but saw you have to pay for seat reservations per person, $25 on international and $11 for inter-Europe. Did you have this charge?

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such an awesome review!! A cruise like this is on my bucket list. :) We have always done Caribbean cruises. Each year, I tell my husband we need to do this one. Your pictures may have persuaded him we need to do one sooner, than later. Our girls are 13 and 9, so I am afraid this one would be for when they are older or a fabulous Mommy/Daddy vacation. Looks like you and your family had a great time! I love to see memories being made!!

Thanks for your review, it was very helpful. We are going on Spirit in Nov 2016. We also live in Tampa and were able to get American Airlines thru Miami to BCN and return from Milan thru Miami to Tampa. I looked at Lufthansa but saw you have to pay for seat reservations per person, $25 on international and $11 for inter-Europe. Did you have this charge?

Sorry for the delay-we've been traveling again!

I paid the extra fee to make certain we had decent seats. I also paid for the extra leg room seats (row 29 on our flights). It was truly worth it to not have a middle seat in economy and so that we could sit together (and the leg room was awesome!).The one really good thing about flying a U.S. based airline is the regular carry on size and you can get TSA pre. We have global entry and should get TSA pre on every flight but since Lufthansa isn't based in the U.S. it's not available with them.

Edited by cardbucfan

Wow! Thank you for the reviews and the tips! Can you tell me more about the charging hub and the outlet expander. Is this for the one US 120V? Does it hold all those extensions (without blowing up!).

Here's a link to the hub we purchased

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-6-Port-Charger-PowerPort-Samsung/dp/B00P933OJC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1465053439&sr=8-3&keywords=anker+6+port+usb+charger

The outlet expander is your basic 3 prong, 3 outlet expander you can get from Home Depot or even Walmart.

We'd plug the hub into the regular outlet and charge two phone, two iPad, one camera and either my Fitbit or one of our lipstick chargers that we carried with us for when batteries got low.

We'd use the expander for the charger for my old camera battery and my flat iron.

The only time we blew the circuit was when I ignored the "no hair dryer" warning!:o

What fun to read of your trip and pre-visit these places through your eyes and experience! We just booked this cruise and we leave in *gasp* 18 days!! Eeeek! So excited!! Even more grateful to have your experiences. Hubs and I will be pouring through them together tonight to glean and plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the twelve day Med, on the Spirit, but didn't go into the same ports. We went into Turkey and Mykonos instead of the ones you went to.

It really killed me to miss the Turkey ports-I just have to hope the terrorists leave all those historic places alone so I can go back over one day and see them!

Thanks! It's a Tilley hat and I ordered it from Amazon. You can go to the Tilley website and see all the different styles and sizing. I liked that it didn't look like my hiking hats!

Enjoy the planning!

thanks so much for taking the time to share with us (future sailer) ur daily events . we learn a lot of things that didn't even thought about it.

we just booked ours last wed. sail on jul 6th I am kind of weary now bec we don't have any preparation yet.so we just go by what we are reading here in CC.

BTW...did u use a camera or just ur cell phone for the pixs....really awesome looks like postcard.

thanks so much for taking the time to share with us (future sailer) ur daily events . we learn a lot of things that didn't even thought about it.

we just booked ours last wed. sail on jul 6th I am kind of weary now bec we don't have any preparation yet.so we just go by what we are reading here in CC.

BTW...did u use a camera or just ur cell phone for the pixs....really awesome looks like postcard.

Thanks! Some pictures were from my iPhone 6s and others were from my husbands Sony Cybershot compact digital camera. He has a big Nikon but we decided not to bring the big one and all the lenses for this trip. Glad we didn't!

I also have a small Canon sure shot that takes great pictures but doesn't have much zoom.

Have a great trip!

DSC02450_zpsc4mcmykl.jpg

The room where they dried the hams (and stored our brandy!)

DSC02464_zpscsjkl9i5.jpg

We then drove back down the twisty road and through Kotor onto Perast. We kept chasing the rain all day and while we didn’t get very wet we could see huge storms over Perast as we drove along the coast road.

IMG_1749_zpsxli3p9xa.jpg

Luck was with us though and we drove through the rain and had clear skies once in Perast. We strolled around a bit, touched the water (COLD!) and declined taking the boat out to Our Lady of the Rocks.

DSC02517_zpstuwtkbz7.jpg

Other folks who went said it was beautiful but we were just too cold to do it. Milo drove us back towards the ship and dropped us off outside the walls of the old town of Kotor. We walked around a little bit but I think we were getting kind of over charming old towns and without a guide really explaining what we were seeing we were ready to head back to the ship.

During the day the ship that had been docked in the morning left and the Spirit moved into that berth so we didn’t have to tender back.

We decided since it was early, we were hungry and we all had pants on to try the Windows dining room for the first time. We got there about 6:00 and there was no wait. We couldn’t get a seat by the windows-those were taken but we were able to see out. The dining room stayed relatively empty since all aboard wasn’t until 7:30. It was O.K. but we really preferred the Garden Dining room. Service was good but I missed the folks we had gotten used to-especially Mario the wine steward! After dinner we walked around the ship a bit but had an early night as usual.

We did take some pictures from our balcony though of what we had missed that morning.

DSC02542_zpsaumifply.jpg

hello again......which tour u took on this port? 4 hours or 6hours or?

is 4 long enough to see the important places? did he ask u if u want to take a dip in their beach? thanks