First time solo cruising

Lizzy532

Finally decided to go it alone and have booked on Ventura for 7 nights 20th October this year.

I'm 53 so hoping there will be a few around 50's 60's at the solo meet up. Other than the meeting and I have requested dining with other single passengers, are there any tips to meet cruisers who are also on their own.

I'm quite happy with exploring and going to gym classes etc but not sure how I will feel sat at the bar on my own.

So excited now, I would love to be hooked on cruising as it does seem a really great holiday for solos.

Dining is best if you go for a specific sitting as opposed to Freedom Dining and a request for a large table. This means you can regularly "touch base" with the same people daily of an evening. They also do breakfasts in one of the main dining rooms daily. You can share a table there too if you want and meet another more random group of people. They also do a "solo travellers" coffee morning daily where a regular group usually attends.

I have found, when travelling solo, there is often someone or a group from the table who wants to do the second show or a specific excursion. There is nothing wrong with being by oneself but "the programme" as advertised in the daily Horizon newsletter should be considered and a highlighter is useful. Trivia quizzes are usually attended by teams of up to six people whereas most cruisers are not travelling in sixes so impromptu teams flocculate at the time on the day.

There is a solo travellers section on cruise critic with more information. Also join the cruise critic roll call if there is one if not start one. Often a meet up on board is organised and you have a few more contacts.

Regards John

Do use the daily programme to organise your day. Having a structure and somewhere to be at a specific time is a great way of avoiding wandering aimlessly, feeling lost.

You definitely need to be on fixed time dining on a large table.

The hosted deck game competitions (shuffleboard, quoits) are played in pairs. These are randomly selected by the staff member organising them. Existing couples are actively split. So is a great way of getting to know fellow passengers, and you won't feel the odd one out.

There will be a lot of solo travellers (not all are single) so you won't feel out of place.

The plus side of travelling solo (which makes me glad to be travelling on my own) is that you will always find a seat in the buffet (if not a table to yourself) and a seat in the theatre. And you can look smugly on as inseparable couples look in vain.

Don’t worry about sitting in the bar by yourself. Nobody will think anything of it. The staff certainly won't. They may inquire if you are waiting for someone but will not bat an eye. If you think you will be conspicuous take a book or magazine, or one of the daily crosswords/sudoko puzzle sheets available.

I took my first solo cruise at age 53 and have never looked back.

Finally decided to go it alone and have booked on Ventura for 7 nights 20th October this year.

I'm 53 so hoping there will be a few around 50's 60's at the solo meet up. Other than the meeting and I have requested dining with other single passengers, are there any tips to meet cruisers who are also on their own.

I'm quite happy with exploring and going to gym classes etc but not sure how I will feel sat at the bar on my own.

So excited now, I would love to be hooked on cruising as it does seem a really great holiday for solos.

Just remember cruisers are generally friendly, chatty people.

We have only ever cruised as a couple, but have made plenty of friends both single and couples.

Engage at dinner. We never want to go over the top with single travelers, but always make them welcome and let them know where we are likely to be if they want to see a familiar face in the bar or on shore.

You will have a fantastic time and meet fantastic people.

Enjoy,

Andy

Firstly I hope you have a great time just cruised with family on first cruise on Britannia but numerous times went off on my own to see how I felt as will likely travel solo next year few thing I picked up.

You need to go for set dining sitting this will ensure you sit with same people every night preferably on large table this will be a great social point, if you must go freedom you can opt to share but could find yourself waiting alone.

I was on Britannia but would assume crows nest is similar a great bar at front of ship and good place to read a book lots of people were sitting alone here and were sociable.

as other have said try to plan your day around activities, on port days I would advise going out earlier and getting back on ship in the afternoon or work around solo cruise meet up.

as other have said playing on deck games can help etc.

as for sitting alone I assure you won't be only one and no one will bat an eyelid there is so much to be doing on ship your not going to feel isolated.

I also found the smoking area some of the most sociable but appreciate not everyone would want to sit there.

Thank you for some great tips. I have been allocated set dining and requested a large table in mdr.

The deck games sounds great and I shall certainly go to the bar at the top of ship for some relaxation and reading. Good point re getting off at port as I am nervous about missing the ship so will get off early to ensure I can be back mid afternoon.

I'm so excited to actually being able to please myself for a change and can't wait to see what activities I can plan for myself throughout the day.

Thanks again.

Thank you for some great tips. I have been allocated set dining and requested a large table in mdr.

The deck games sounds great and I shall certainly go to the bar at the top of ship for some relaxation and reading. Good point re getting off at port as I am nervous about missing the ship so will get off early to ensure I can be back mid afternoon.

I'm so excited to actually being able to please myself for a change and can't wait to see what activities I can plan for myself throughout the day.

Thanks again.

Yes. That the best bit about being on your own. Being able to please yourself, without constant negotiations.

I didn't realise how much negotiation I was doing until after I was widowed and decided I wanted some new soft furnishings. I spent half a day finding fault with the cushions I already had, marshaling my arguments to justify the spending. Then realised I didn't need to!

The majority of solo cruises I have taken since my partner died I have been seated with other solos and have found that after dinner there is usually someone going off to the show or whatever and you can 'pal up'. Additionally, you can always arrange to meet for pre-dinner drinks.

If you go to the morning Coffee Meeting and perhaps the following day you want to go ashore independently, ask one of the Ents Team present if they can announce that you are looking for someone to pal up with. On one of my cruises, a lady wanted to go ashore for a wander around but wasn't confident enough to do so alone. They made an announcement and as I was planning to just wander around, arranged to meet up with her and we had a nice time together.

I have also been told that a table is set aside in the dining room for solos at afternoon tea.

Cruising is certainly a great way to travel solo.

Im 61 and just back from my first solo cruise ... I had a brilliant time. I was nervous about being alone but everything turned out really well. I joined some of the organised trips and other times went ashore on my own. During the day, I got chatting to other passengers, had dinner with some of them and met lots of new people. I will definitely cruise solo again.

Cruising is a good option for solo travellers.

Thank you, I didn’t realise they did afternoon tea with a meet up table for solos as well. Not sure my waistline will benefit from too much tea and cake!

There are so many positive posts for travelling solo. This is the first time I have holidayed anywhere on my own and I am realising what a good choice cruising is.

Thank you, I didn’t realise they did afternoon tea with a meet up table for solos as well. Not sure my waistline will benefit from too much tea and cake!

There are so many positive posts for travelling solo. This is the first time I have holidayed anywhere on my own and I am realising what a good choice cruising is.

Beware the afternoon tea... not just tea and cakes. We were getting hot sausage rolls, crumpets, tea cakes, as well as the usual sandwiches, scones and loads of cakes... Thank God for late sitting in the mdr!!!

I am sure you will have a fantastic time.

Enjoy.

Andy