STAR is next to have decking refurbished as did SUN last week

patannel

I was on the Sun's Panama Cruise from Hell ! You can read posts on a "page" called Panama Canal Sun.

It was days of removing old decking material and applying a new compound.

That company has a list of NCL ships scheduled to have same work done. STAR is next in line.

Good luck to you all. You have been warned by a group of fellow cruisers concerned for your safety, too.

I was on the Sun's Panama Cruise from Hell ! You can read posts on a "page" called Panama Canal Sun.

That company has a list of NCL ships scheduled to have same work done. STAR is next in line.

Good luck to you all. You have been warned by a group of fellow cruisers concerned for your safety, too.

What a nightmare. The pictures and videos are unbelievable. What was the name of the captain who was in the observation lounge video?

Do you know WHEN? We're heading out this weekend to the panama canal - are they doing it this cruise which is two before dry dock OR the TA one which is the one right before dry dock. I have asthma and I'm JUST getting finished a round of antibiotics for a chest infection - I'm SUPER worried now!

• 1 month later...

Just got off 4 weeks on Star, had a great time. No major wet dock work done while onboard (like the Sun), patch works here and there as expected. Others did tell me there was some noisy work towards the end of the cruise well into the night supposedly laying new cables, whether this was in preparation for dry dock or to do with the flooding that occurred during the unexpected listing event I am not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What unexpected listing event?

I assumed it would have already been posted , happened at the end of the recent Panama Canal cruise. Early evening the ship suddenly listed to one side and seemed to brake suddenly. Captain initially reported it as a malfunction but then corrected it to a human error that he had never experienced before in his 25 years. Seemed to depend on where you were on the ship as to how dramatically it felt, we were in spinnakers on deck 7 at the aft and it didn’t feel all that dramatic but for those who were in elevators or on the lower levels in the dining areas it was apparently quite distressing. A lot of the restaurants experienced high breakages. The pool overflowed and flooded the forward upper levels and even leaked into the elevators triggering smoke and then a fire alarm.

I think the April 8 roll call has some discussion on it, I only just got off the b2b so haven’t fully caught up yet.

Actually, I've experienced this a couple times on cruise ships, and have heard of a few more instances. This is "turn induced heel", where with the ship operating at a good clip (15 knots or so), if the helm is put "hard over" (turned all the way one way), the ship leans away from the direction of turn, and can be quite significant. A large turn like this will scrub off speed in a hurry as well. The Sky had an incident like this back in 2003, where nearly every dish and glass onboard was broken, and 150 passengers were sent to hospital in Vancouver. It is typically caused by the watch officer having a "brain fart" and not disengaging the autopilot when making a significant change in course.

Actually, I've experienced this a couple times on cruise ships, and have heard of a few more instances. This is "turn induced heel", where with the ship operating at a good clip (15 knots or so), if the helm is put "hard over" (turned all the way one way), the ship leans away from the direction of turn, and can be quite significant. A large turn like this will scrub off speed in a hurry as well. The Sky had an incident like this back in 2003, where nearly every dish and glass onboard was broken, and 150 passengers were sent to hospital in Vancouver. It is typically caused by the watch officer having a "brain fart" and not disengaging the autopilot when making a significant change in course.

Thanks Cheng, sounds like a perfect explanation of what happened. Captain Matthias was very open and honest in all his communication