We found--and booked--a cancellation; do you think we'll regret it?

Ukalady

'Hope we're not disappointed, but, even after poring over the no-doubt-accurate board accounts of Viking's communication issues (as in profound lack of it!), Mom and I plunked down the money yesterday for a cancellation we discovered on "Viking Homelands," embarking May 30 at Stockholm. It seems to be the first "regular" cruise after the ship's maiden voyage from the south.

I've already put us on the roll call for that cruise, but I'm posting here to (hopefully) get some sense that all will be okay, despite Viking's communication issues. Frankly, on our only other boat experience, a Viking Rivers cruise in summer 2014, I was terribly disappointed in the pre-cruise communication as well. I'm guessing it's intensified with the Star's maiden season as well as the line's new foray into "ocean" cruising. Thankfully, once on the ship, we found the customer service to be excellent. I'm hoping it's that way this year, too (crossing fingers as I type).

We've already made the deposit and will be paying the balance next week--but, in your opinion, were we smart to take the cancellation or should we have taken a pass on it?

Background: We've never been on a cruise before, other than the river cruise with Viking last year. We really like this itinerary and didn't find any other line with a comparable one (this is hoping that Flam will *remain* on this itinerary for our cruise!). We need to travel in 2015 (Mom is a very-active 81 and doesn't want to wait longer than she has to!).

Thanks for any input!

Go for it! It's a good itinerary and some, but probably not all, of the bugs will be worked out by us maiden voyagers. The reason Flam is not in our schedule is so that Viking can have a "Celebration" and a press opportunity with the Christening in Bergen. Apparently Viking thinks we should be really happy about that, but I don't think most of us are. However, all that will be over by the time you go. By then, all the bugs in the kitchen service and housekeeping will be worked out, anything that's not working (plumbing, AC, etc) should be fixed. You may still have the odd hiccup, but as long as you keep in touch here, you'll get all the news of the maiden voyage and can plan accordingly. Some things may still be amiss with the excursions, because they will have only been done once - by us - and if there's a local provider that's not quite up to snuff, they may not have those worked out totally. But Viking River cruises has been going to St Petersburg for years, so that should run as smooth as silk.

Look at it this way, the maiden voyage is still sold out, so there's a lot of us who clearly think the thing is worth doing, or we wouldn't be here.:D

We have done two river cruises with Viking and loved both of them so we are expecting to have the same experience on the Star. We are doing the Homelands cruise starting in Bergen July 11. The ship looks beautiful and I can't imagine that the entire thing won't be wonderful. We really liked the interary, too. I am sure the product will improve as they work out some kinks . We were invited to go with a group of friends on our first Viking river cruise and after we had booked, I started reading a lot on Cruise Critic. I thought we had made a major mistake based on some of the stuff I was reading. I could not have been happier with the way either of our two river cruises went. It seems like people tend to post things when they are unhappy as opposed to when they are happy. I would not worry about all the chatter and think you were lucky to get a cancellation. Enjoy your trip and please come back and let us know how it was! We will be boarding about 6 weeks after you! I think Flam is on all the itenaries except for the one when they are christening the ship so you should be fine.

Ukalady,

We've been on 3 Viking river cruises, and we were very excited to book the maiden voyage of the Viking Star. These initial customer service issues notwithstanding, we are still looking forward to a beautiful new ship and a terrific experience .

Becki

We were on 2 viking river cruises and loved them. If there was anything I needed to know my agent handled it. I believe an agent can navigate those dicey waters a little more efficiently.

I must tell you ......do not try to micromanage every single detail of your trip. It will make you crazy! Some of those things are not that important and can be managed once on board!

Take what comes and look at it as an adventure which will make for the best memories!

Once I let go.....I was surprised at how well everything went. Don't sweat the small stuff and you will have the time of your life!:D

'Hope we're not disappointed, but, even after poring over the no-doubt-accurate board accounts of Viking's communication issues (as in profound lack of it!), Mom and I plunked down the money yesterday for a cancellation we discovered on "Viking Homelands," embarking May 30 at Stockholm. It seems to be the first "regular" cruise after the ship's maiden voyage from the south.

I've already put us on the roll call for that cruise, but I'm posting here to (hopefully) get some sense that all will be okay, despite Viking's communication issues. Frankly, on our only other boat experience, a Viking Rivers cruise in summer 2014, I was terribly disappointed in the pre-cruise communication as well. I'm guessing it's intensified with the Star's maiden season as well as the line's new foray into "ocean" cruising. Thankfully, once on the ship, we found the customer service to be excellent. I'm hoping it's that way this year, too (crossing fingers as I type).

We've already made the deposit and will be paying the balance next week--but, in your opinion, were we smart to take the cancellation or should we have taken a pass on it?

Background: We've never been on a cruise before, other than the river cruise with Viking last year. We really like this itinerary and didn't find any other line with a comparable one (this is hoping that Flam will *remain* on this itinerary for our cruise!). We need to travel in 2015 (Mom is a very-active 81 and doesn't want to wait longer than she has to!).

Thanks for any input!

We were also lucky enough to get a cancelled cabin about 3 weeks ago. What category cabin were you able to get?

Do not get wrapped up in the hysteria from some of the people on this sight. Things will go just fine just go and enjoy. Yes it is a smart move.

Myself and my wife will be on the same cruise.

Robert

What category cabin were you able to get?

DV2.

We were also offered a cancellation (or maybe a "never sold") for an Owner's Suite. At only $28,000 USD per person it sounded pretty good ;)

We took the DV2 when it showed up a few days' later. Might have chosen a Penthouse Verandah if we had a choice, but we're plenty happy with the DV2 as a last-minute opportunity. Mid-ship, fifth deck, starboard.

Never cruised before on an ocean (or even a "sea"). Hope we don't get seasick! But we'll start the bonine early.

I think that you totally lucked out!

Those of us on the maiden voyage were dealt a few blows in the itinerary - cancelled port days and cancelled port - I don't think any of us are real happy about it, however DH and I remain super excited about this trip.

As said, any further blips will be addressed, and based on our previous experience with Viking Rivers we are confident that they will remain the class act that their reputation carries.

So yes - go for it! Enjoy every moment with your Mom. Those are treasured memories that you make when the opportunity arises!

And grab some Ginger for an option to help with a queasy stomach if it occurs.

Every new ocean cruise line has its growing pains. The first time I cruised Oceania it was good but not nearly as great as it is today. I suspect Viking will be the same. I'm happy for you with your "score."

Modern ocean liners have stabilizers and people don't have too many problems with seasickness. Most of the time I don't even feel a cruise ship move, or if I do, it's very slight. Since Star was just built, I suspect she has the best stabilizing equipment possible. Also, most of the actual cruising is in the evening and night, with the ship starting to pick up speed (and motion) later at night after most activities are winding down. I would take some stuff to help you (or plan on purchasing it on the ship in the store or the medical center) but I'm guessing you won't even need it. Mid-ship, by the way, is the best location you can get if you're worried about getting seasick!

Enjoy! I would think end of May would be the perfect time to be taking that cruise! I have not been to Flam, but I've been to 3 places in Norway on an ocean cruise, and absolutely loved them.

Edited by roothy123

• 2 weeks later...

Since Star was just built, I suspect she has the best stabilizing equipment possible.

According to Hawaiidan, newer ships don't have better stabilizers than older ships.

He discusses it here:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44756500&postcount=24

I would add to that that some captains (perhaps many) retract the stabilizers at night in order to save fuel. That happened to us on Regatta and we had a very uncomfortable night.

I am curious how some of you are finding cancellations? Are you using a travel agent, regularly calling Viking......with all the published sell outs, it would be nice to know. I realize that it is a crap shoot on cabin availability, but you can always say 'no' ...... And not outlay your money 17-18 months in advance, as well as being able to have more flexibility in making plans.

Looking at the Viking Star schedule for 2016, I find all of the lowest verandas, and the deluxe verandas sold out for the summer season. I too am interested in how one finds out about cancellations .

Does anyone know when the 2017 schedule will be out with the addition of two ships?

Honestly Azulann, I have never seen those two lowest priced categories available in all the times I have looked......it was my understanding that the next two ships are launching 2016 and the fourth is 2017. This may have changed but that was the plan in the past.

I am curious how some of you are finding cancellations? Are you using a travel agent, regularly calling Viking......with all the published sell outs, it would be nice to know. I realize that it is a crap shoot on cabin availability, but you can always say 'no' ...... And not outlay your money 17-18 months in advance, as well as being able to have more flexibility in making plans.

I had asked a Viking rep that I had been talking to about 2016 cruise which I did not want to book and pay that early. She told me she would keep my name and number anf if any cancels happened she would call me. Never thought I would here from her again. A few weeks later I received a call from her. I was told that there was a cancel that was available for the May 30th cruise. I said I will take it. I also asked if there are any cancels for a higher class that become available can she let me know. I know there was a cancel for a DV that became available. I never heard from her. Just happy that I got the call for the first one.

Other than that I do not think there is any magic other than being lucky.

Robert

Wow. That just sounds so simple! You are probably correct in that luck was a big factor - and then sometimes things just happen - they present themselves and you just have to do it! That is terrific. Also sounds like you got hold of a good customer service rep with Viking who was on top of it. Congrats!!

I would email *several* TAs which specialize in cruising.

We got our cancellation by contacting four different cruise travel agencies--none of which I had used previously but just hoped they'd have a good connection with Viking and be hungry (CC will not let me mention names, I don't believe).

Within one week we had an offer for an Owner's Suite (ha! Like we could swallow the cost on that one! We could wish, though...) and three days later, from another TA, we got the offer for a DV2-level room--including a few TA discounts thrown in. We took it and are just plain excited about the whole thing.

I've booked our own air (we did Viking's air last time and it was okay, but we wanted more flexibility in choosing our times--we're traveling from the west coast of USA so we found we were able to cut back some of the travel time and leave on the final day later than 6 am) and our first night in Stockholm. We added in the three-day post-trip which was still available from Viking and that will *include* our transfers from Viking's chosen hotel to Oslo Airport (which is a pretty pricey taxi ride/commute I had discovered on my own). Yay!

I'm ramping up another "real world" blog to document this trip, too. I've heard from quite a few folks who devoured my Viking River Cruise website and want to get the lowdown now on Viking Oceans. 'Glad to comply!

Keep looking for those cancellations for 2015--I'll bet there are still some to be found!

Thank you for your response on how to book because of a cancellation. It makes perfect sense.

I hope you post the link to your blog for the Viking cruise here on CC. I definitely look forward to reading about your maiden vovage.

Thank you so much for your story on succeeding!

I do think it is time for us to find a new travel agent. Ours gets quite a bit of business from us - always full price - never discounts or 'thank you' gestures. I continue to get the impression that this is again more common, so time to start looking.....

Thanks again

We were invited to go with a group of friends on our first Viking river cruise and after we had booked, I started reading a lot on Cruise Critic. I thought we had made a major mistake based on some of the stuff I was reading. I could not have been happier with the way either of our two river cruises went. It seems like people tend to post things when they are unhappy as opposed to when they are happy.

We had something similar happen to us. A couple who travels little (works too hard to do much!!) asked us about river cruising and we recommended Viking. I also mentioned Cruise Critic, and one of them did some research there. She (politely) came back to me, saying she was a little reluctant to book Viking based on some of the info on Cruise Critic. I was flabbergasted to hear this, but it was true - many people gave less than glowing reports about Viking. However, I had not cruised on any other river cruise line, so I couldn't argue the merits of one line versus another. I think part of the problem is that people go on one ship, at one point of time, and assume that their voyage on that line is typical of all trips on that line. River cruises are ever-changing (at least in terms of the ships; not so much in terms of itinerary!) and to make adequate comparisons, you need to go on one or more lines, ships, times, etc. to compare them.

I told our friends I could only speak for Viking, but I thought they'd be happy with the company. By the time they booked, all the early fall cruises were entirely full in the cabin category they wanted, so they chose a cruise in northern Europe in early November. That worried me a bit, but they're from Florida, and claimed they were looking forward to cold weather, so off they went. They loved it and hope to do another one next year.