Fed up with Viking Ocean's lack of communication?

algaes

I am! We've all been waiting since summer of 2013 for this cruise and especially since December 2013 when we said goodbye to our money. Now Viking has blown past the 90 day prior to cruise landmark without any proactive communication to passengers.

I guess they are "upstairs" and us travelers are "downstairs".

I felt bad talking to customer service this weekend because they can't know if they haven't been told.

So...who wants to join me in applying some social pressure! Start by contacting your local travel editor (I contacted the Chicago Tribune) and post here what you've done. Next move on to searching for cruise bloggers to clue them in on Viking's fail.

I don't want to think the worse but Star is back in Venice wet shipyards after December sea trials from Trieste and what if they uncovered something significant!!!

I don't want to think the worse but Star is back in Venice wet shipyards after December sea trials from Trieste and what if they uncovered something significant!!!

Is this normal for new builds?

I looked on line to get hold of someone in corporate but there is no contact. I looked on their Facebook page but I do not see any postings by individuals.

I think Viking should communicate the status and progress of the building as well as all other information that should be expected at this juncture in time including port times, reservation, excursions etc. I think that for those who booked with the understanding that we would be receiving free WiFi no matter what level cabin that we be given it. Viking changed that perk to free WiFi only in port and then we had to pay. I also booked being told I could take the air deviation and choose my flights. However, when the time frame opened up I was told my cruise was not eligible. I could take a deviation but not choose my flights.

Leo - I'm with you - this is unbelievably frustrating! If we don't get some more info by the 15th, Conde Nast Traveler comes to mind. They have an ombudsman I believe. We subscribe, so I'll did out an old mag and find a contact there.

As far as upstairs/downstairs, with what you paid for a suite, I'd say you should be treated not just like upstairs, but like royalty! I personally think they should push back all the windows so that you get what you paid for - 10 days of time to book what you want.

Terrior1 - I was actually not surprised when they "clarified" the WiFi to be only in port. On past cruises, I know the ship's WiFi comes over the ship's satellite and they don't get much while at sea and what they do get needs to be used for navigation etc. However, I was surprised that they were limiting your free WiFi while in port - free but not free if you want to send pictures back home or something. And we certainly don't want to spend our valuable times in port doing e-mails when we could be out seeing the sights. One other word about WiFi on board. On other ships, even though we've had WiFi, it can depend a lot on the geographical location of your cabin. We've been in Junior Suites where we could not get a signal but had to move to the lounge or out onto the top deck to get a signal. On one ship, we had to get near the "communications" room to pick up a signal. So while it was "free" in your room you couldn't get a signal. Also, don't expect speed - it's pretty slow no matter what.

Yes, it's normal for new builds to go back in wet dock after extensive sea trials. They have a whole LOT of stuff, internal and external, to inspect and verify. EVERY significant part of the ship's machinery will be gone over with a fine-tooth comb to verify/validate its performance. This is NOT a cause for worry.

I'd be worried if she DIDN'T go back to the yard. I'm sure she hasn't been signed over to Viking yet.

I'm not willing to give Viking a pass on the WiFi benefit. When they made the promise, I assumed they were expecting to ride the expected evolution of platform and bandwidth from summer 2013 to now.

You shouldn't widely present your company as rejecting nickel and diming of customers to then back-off.

See this article for a steep recent revision in rates and remember the passenger charges are a profit with mark-ups over what it costs the cruise line.

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2014/12/9/234427/315/travel/New+Technology+Means+Cruise+Ships+Finally+Offer+Affordable+Onboard+WiFi

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2014/11/25/16419/588/travel/Cruise+Ship+WiFi+Sails+Out+of+the+Dark+Ages%3A+An+Interview+with+Royal+Caribbean%27s+CIO

Leo - I'm with you - this is unbelievably frustrating! If we don't get some more info by the 15th, Conde Nast Traveler comes to mind. They have an ombudsman I believe. We subscribe, so I'll did out an old mag and find a contact there.

As far as upstairs/downstairs, with what you paid for a suite, I'd say you should be treated not just like upstairs, but like royalty! I personally think they should push back all the windows so that you get what you paid for - 10 days of time to book what you want.

Terrior1 - I was actually not surprised when they "clarified" the WiFi to be only in port. On past cruises, I know the ship's WiFi comes over the ship's satellite and they don't get much while at sea and what they do get needs to be used for navigation etc. However, I was surprised that they were limiting your free WiFi while in port - free but not free if you want to send pictures back home or something. And we certainly don't want to spend our valuable times in port doing e-mails when we could be out seeing the sights. One other word about WiFi on board. On other ships, even though we've had WiFi, it can depend a lot on the geographical location of your cabin. We've been in Junior Suites where we could not get a signal but had to move to the lounge or out onto the top deck to get a signal. On one ship, we had to get near the "communications" room to pick up a signal. So while it was "free" in your room you couldn't get a signal. Also, don't expect speed - it's pretty slow no matter what.

WiFI may slow depending where you are but eventually you do get a signal. In any case, it was suppose to be FREE. Viking should NOT be reneging on what they originally sold the product.

You can go on their Facebook page and post and perhaps that shuld also get them going.

I have emailed Viking Oceans several times to suggest that they have someone monitor Cruise Critic..... They are not making a great first impression with me. I don't understand why they don't email guests with updates on the build and how to book excursions etc.

Kathy

Viking used to monitor the river cruises board. Whenever there was a complaint they would refer to an e-mail address at Viking in an attempt to get the discussion off CC.

Maybe they gave up????

I just noticed that under discussions there are a number of "deleted" posts so they are still monitoring.

Here is the response from Viking. This is not what I signed on for when we booked.

You are correct, complimentary Wi-Fi service will be offered while in port locations each day, but in a Deluxe Veranda stateroom you will be limited to a complimentary amount of 50mb per day. You may upgrade your service amenity to include unlimited downloads for an additional $4.95 per day.

I agree tha the lack of communication is terrible. if you ask anything more than the time of day, they tell you to ask your travel agent. When you do that, they call and learn nothing of any value. They could at least post something on their website.

If there is no free wifi, after it being clearly promised and paid for, there will be a lawsuit.

I live very close to their HQ in Woodland Hills CA. I went over there once and was treated very well. I may go back in the next day or so and ask what is going on with dining, shore excursions, wifi and general info to their customers. If they see I have a TA, it may be a dead end.

If there is no free wifi, after it being clearly promised and paid for, there will be a lawsuit.

I live very close to their HQ in Woodland Hills CA. I went over there once and was treated very well. I may go back in the next day or so and ask what is going on with dining, shore excursions, wifi and general info to their customers. If they see I have a TA, it may be a dead end.

When I further inquired about the free wifi this is what I was told:

When the preliminary brochures offering this cruise tour were printed the restrictions were not all known, we reserve the right to update and change the written materials describing the amenities and or the itinerary at any time. We still are offering what we promised which is complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the entire vessel, but this amenity is only complimentary for higher booked staterooms. The lower staterooms will have the same amenities available, but at an additional cost, like an optional tour, or other optional items not included in the cost of the cruise tour. We can advise that while in port all staterooms will offer free Wi-Fi and the speed should be reasonable to cruise the internet in ease whereas on the river it was often an issue as the connection was unstable.

If there are other questions in this regard, we encourage you to discuss them with your personal travel agent managing your reservation for July onboard the Viking Star.

All of us sailing in 2015 knew there would be changes/refinements between the marketing materials in 2013 and the actual cruise operations. There's no need for Viking to rub it in our face that we should have seen the footnotes giving them the right to make changes.

What we didn't know or expect was that Viking would choose not to sharen those changes in an transparent manner. Changes to offerings, itineraries, and operations should not be dribbling out thanks to active Cruise Critic member sharing.

This could turn into a tidal wave of ill will and bad public relations when the passive majority of maiden voyage cruisers in April and May show up unknowingly to confront the reality of the uncommunicated alterations.

I can't understand why these changes/refinements are not working their way onto the Viking website shortly after final management decisions are made. That's how a modern business works and leads their industry in best practices.

Edited by algaes
typos

I just checked all the terms and conditions on their website, as well as in my original brouchure which contained an "offer" good through 8/31/13, and which has additonal terms and conditions. This is the brochure that says "free wi-fi". The general terms and conditions on the website, and the particular terms and conditions in the brochure give them the leeway to make lots of changes in named items. None of them mention the ability to change listed amenities, such as wi-fi. The situation may be different for brochures with offers that extend after 8/31/13.

I think people are making WAY too much of this. They offered "free wi-fi", not UNLIMITED free wi-fi. No matter how you slice it up, we're getting an amazing wi-fi deal. We're GETTING free wi-fi; in port. For an additional 5 bucks a day, we get all we can eat, that's a steal. I'm fine with it.

Edited by Bear_Music

You may be right. The shore excursions are now viewable on line. Almost all (but not all) have prices which are very reasonable. Nice choices. I assume that as our various eligibility dates arrive, there will be a drop down that allows us to choose and pay. There does not yet appear to be a final port schedule which makes choosing shore excursions a little difficult. Hopefully, tha will show up in a few days.

You may be right. The shore excursions are now viewable on line. Almost all (but not all) have prices which are very reasonable. Nice choices. I assume that as our various eligibility dates arrive, there will be a drop down that allows us to choose and pay. There does not yet appear to be a final port schedule which makes choosing shore excursions a little difficult. Hopefully, tha will show up in a few days.

They have a new billing/invoicing software in, and THAT shows your time in port for every stop on your cruise. It OUGHT to be in the web site, of course, but if you ask them for a new invoice you'll have all that information in your hands. Mine looks like this:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1139366.jpg

Without looking, i'm sure they have a provision in the contract that permits them to make all sorts of changes...I went thru this with Azamar when they reneged on the 50% pre cruise discount benefit......Chris Elliot at Nat. Geo. is the travel ombudsman.....this will be my first Viking cruise and if i find I can't trust them, it will be my last.

They have a new billing/invoicing software in, and THAT shows your time in port for every stop on your cruise. It OUGHT to be in the web site, of course, but if you ask them for a new invoice you'll have all that information in your hands. Mine looks like this:

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1139366.jpg

Where do you access this on their website? Thanks.

You don't :-( You call an ask an agent to send you a new invoice, and it is on that. Lame, but at least it's there. Someone over on the Istanbul-Stockholm roll call thread has posted one for that entire journey as well.

Now we aren't sailing on the Star until July but I just called and asked for a new invoice and what came through looked pretty much like the original ... no specifics whatsoever. Guess there are still bugs to be worked out. Will be very anxious to hear from those of you who will be on the maiden voyage! Keep us posted as your plans are firmed up!

I will also request my TA to get us an updated invoice in hopes it will show the port times for our Viking Homeland cruise. If I get one, I will post for all to see, Maybe someone else will post it in the meantime. We have a fantastic TA and he is equally displeased and unimpressed with the latest poor service from Viking. My wife and I have only been on a handful of cruises in the past few years--mostly with Uniworld for river cruises and Oceania for ocean ones. First time to use Viking and hope we didn't make a mistake. They do seem a bit arrogant lately.

This will be our 7th cruise with Viking and we have always been pleased with the service but will admit to being a bit concerned about how this trip is coming together ... or not :confused:.

We will not sail until July so they do have some time to get it together for our trip and I am confident that all will be well in the end ... but can understand the frustration of those of you sailing in April. Keep us posted on how things are going.