Alaska Pearl questions

melinda0222

Hoping I can get some answers.

1. What time does the boat dock when returning to Seattle? It says 8am but hoping it is earlier

2. For people carrying off their own luggage, what time did the first people get off?

3. What does everyone feel like is the earliest possible flight time you could make, if you are off first carrying your luggage with uber waiting.

4. Has anyone ever shipped Alaska clothes to the dock? Did it make it? Was it easy? Problems? A few of us are considering shipping some of our cold weather clothes instead of checking baggage. Hoping to get some insights.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shipping clothes may be just as expensive as an extra suitcase.

I have a 3:30 pm flight out of Seattle. I have been reading on these boards for awhile that it was safe to take a flight after noon. With all the change fees and stress at the airport to begin with I don't want to take any chances. Go with whatever you find is comfortable for you.

4. Has anyone ever shipped Alaska clothes to the dock? Did it make it? Was it easy? Problems? A few of us are considering shipping some of our cold weather clothes instead of checking baggage. Hoping to get some insights.

Are you saying you want to ship your "Alaska" clothes from your home to have them waiting for you at the dock the day you sail? I'm not sure if the dock would even know what to do with a package like that. Remember more than on ship uses that dock during the week and thousands of passengers on each ship.

I would not even guess where you would go to pick up your package when you got to the dock.

Maybe if you were going in a day before and had then shipped to your hotel that might work.

Don

(1) The Pearl should dock between 6:00 A.M. and 6:30 A.M.

(2) Disembarkation can begin anytime after the ship has been cleared by the Port Officials and the US Customs and Border Patrol. It is usually around 7:30 A.M. Lots and lots of cabs parked waiting to take you wherever you need to go. Weekends are prime road construction season also- may delay traffic a bit.

(3) I would not book a flight before at least NOON. The Pearl will NOT be the only cruise ship disembarking passengers. Getting through Airport Security can be a nightmare- very very long lines.

(4) In 3 cruises to Alaska, I have only needed a heavy winter jacket once. Twice I could have used shorts and t-shirts. Prepare to dress in layers. Take very comfortable walking shoes.

Have fun and enjoy The Pearl as much as Alaska.

I'd also suggest a noon or later flight. You have to be conservative with your time for both the transit to the airport and time needed in the airport.

Was just there Monday- with huge non precheck TSA lines, waited for my nephew over 20 minutes after I was already through Pre.check. Big airport as well. Then had a long walk to the last gate. :)

Hoping I can get some answers.

1. What time does the boat dock when returning to Seattle? It says 8am but hoping it is earlier

2. For people carrying off their own luggage, what time did the first people get off?

3. What does everyone feel like is the earliest possible flight time you could make, if you are off first carrying your luggage with uber waiting.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What month is your cruise? if its after May doubt you are going to need many "heavy winter clothes" just wear a tank or t shirt underneath your top. I have been to AK 6 times from late May to August. usually take a leather jacket and a knit hat in May & June. light weight raincoat rest of months. We have eaten on balcony many times in AK, been 80 degrees.

Are you saying you want to ship your "Alaska" clothes from your home to have them waiting for you at the dock the day you sail? I'm not sure if the dock would even know what to do with a package like that. Remember more than on ship uses that dock during the week and thousands of passengers on each ship.

I would not even guess where you would go to pick up your package when you got to the dock.

Maybe if you were going in a day before and had then shipped to your hotel that might work.

Don

We were on ship in June, docked about 6am. Had priority disembarkation, got off at 7:45am. Got to airport in 20 minutes, made our 10:20 flight.

Edited by drumming cruisers
add info

Thank you for all the advice. Our cruise is in Sept so I know we need to be prepared for rain as well as some cooler temperatures. Will be dressing in layers and I am a naturally cold person so I will be bringing my waterproof coat from Columbia. There is a group of 12 of us cruising so we are talking about shipping some of the heavier bulky clothes back and forth. Just didn't know if anyone has actually shipped to the dock.

Thanks to those we gave me their exact departure times and thei experience with the airport.

I've not cruised yet but am from Washington state. Frankly speaking, it isn't just the time the ship arrives on dock, etc. that you need to worry about. Depending on your flight, even if you left the ship and immediately got a taxi with no wait you may still have to navigate Seattle traffic. Sure, you are avoiding the workday commute on a Sunday - but in September the Mariners, the Seahawks, AND the Sounders are all still playing. The stadiums are between the pier and the airport, and on a game day the traffic can be a nightmare (especially on a double game day where the Hawks or Sounders are playing on the same day as the Mariners)

Then there is Seatac. Now, I consider myself lucky to live near such a large, international airport. Easy to navigate, lots of direct flights to where I want to go, etc. BUT the TSA lines can be very long, even if you have TSA precheck or Global Entry. I've been there when they had long lines, and only one security checkpoint open. Better to wait at the airport and enjoy the shopping and restaurants (they aren't bad at all there!) than miss a flight in my opinion!

I looked at shipping our luggage direct to the ship through one of the luggage shipping companies, didn't want to deal with it. It was expensive think more than most airlines charge. We decided just to deal with it ourselves.

Shipping means you are giving up control of your vacation. What would you do if the package did not arrive. By not arrive - I mean it might get there but somebody puts it aside and it never gets together with you.

Alaska will not be winter weather. Chilly and cold for sure, but not winter. We did one medium and one carry on on our last trip. We now do trips with carryon only. For Alaska we would probably "wear" our medium weight coats if they did not fit.