New River Cruiser doing Danube Waltz in April 2018

Rick0418

Recently signed up for our first River Cruise. It is Danube Waltz Cruise, Budapest to Passau, 6 Apr 2018. Ship is Viking Var. Reserved an "Explorer" Suite to ensure room and comfort.

New to river cruising, we are reasonably experienced with ocean cruises. Most recent cruise was South American cruise Buenos Aires to Santiago. Earlier have done Baltic, Mediterranean, Bermuda plus a number of Caribbean cruises. Enjoyed them all.

But, there is a lot we don't know about our new experience:

-What dress is common? Found the Baltic and Mediterranean to be fairly formal and used my dinner jacket. Caribbean was casual. South America was in between. Most cruises were on NCL which advertises free style but many in Europe and South America still dressed. So, we are unsure.

-We have a Viking arranged hotel room (Intercontinental Budapest) for two nights prior to cruise. Will there be a Viking help desk to assist in tours prior to boarding ship?

-Is it worthwhile to book excursions before traveling or just book on cruise? Also interested in "must do" excursions from the opinion of past cruisers.

-Should we carry lavalieres for cruise IDs similar to ocean cruises?

-What currencies should I carry: US, Euro, Hungarian?

That's all for now. Thanks for any help.

Recently signed up for our first River Cruise. It is Danube Waltz Cruise, Budapest to Passau, 6 Apr 2018.

-What dress is common?

-We have a Viking arranged hotel room (Intercontinental Budapest) for two nights prior to cruise. Will there be a Viking help desk to assist in tours prior to boarding ship?

-Is it worthwhile to book excursions before traveling or just book on cruise? Also interested in "must do" excursions from the opinion of past cruisers.

That's all for now. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!! Let me see if I can help with some of your questions...

Dress is casual. Most men will wear a collared shirt (golf shirt will do) and casual pants. Perhaps a little dressier for the Welcome/Farewell dinner. Very few wear ties or jackets. Women - casual dress or pants with a dressy top on the dressier nights.

There should be a Viking desk at your hotel. You should get breakfast as part of the package - but lunch/dinner will be on your own. We LOVE Budapest... one of our favourite cities in Europe. I suggest Cafe Kor for dinner one night - we always go when we are in Budapest. They aren't open on Sundays - and only accept cash - but it is authentic Hungarian food... You won't get in without a reservation - but the concierge at the hotel can help with that. If you want to go, you should probably have them book a bit ahead (they book up quickly).

You can usually book any optional tours when you are on the cruise. If you are interested in something outside the usual tours in Budapest (as you have extra days there....) - you can look at Tours by Locals as they can customize a tour for you. But - there is lots to see on your own without a formal guide. On our last trip there, I pre-booked a trip to Statue (Memento) Park for my husband - and we were picked up at our hotel in a Trabant. This was his birthday present - and he truly enjoyed it.

Enjoy!!

Fran

The Hungarian Parliment is a must see. If a tour of it is not included, book an English tour on line in advance. The tour takes approximately an hour. Expect to have several on your tour translating from English to their companions.

I'm reading this with interest because we're on the April 22 Danube Waltz on Viking with three days in Prague before and two in Budapest after. I don't want to hijack the OP's thread but I'm curious about two things, one of which is suggestions for Prague. Also, since the OP asked about currency, what is the preferred currency on board the ship? On our Med, British Isles and Baltic cruises, we used local currency ashore but US dollars on board for gratuities, etc. On a river cruise would we use Euros onboard?

EUROS onboard Viking river.

You chose a great cruise. Our first river cruise was similar, only it started in Nuremberg and went to Budapest.

Get Forints for Hungary, otherwise euros. ATM. Budapest is a charm.

With the Explorer cabin you won't experience the cabin size shock that many ocean guests encounter. Laundry service.

You will choose your own seating at breakfast/dinner but you will be seated with others. No tables for 2 in restaurant.

Suggest buffet lunch at the unique Aquavit Terrace in the bow for a most pleasant change of venue. Tables for 2 there.

Viking guests dress VERY casually. Don't recall ever seeing many sport jackets. FWIW, I (male) wear a collared shirt and slacks to dinner. Many Viking cruisers pride themselves in traveling only with carry on luggage which limits their wardrobe. Sadly, my wife is at the opposite extreme, 2 large 50LB bags + 2 carry ons.

No need for cruise IDs like on ocean. You WILL get small pocket tickets for excursion & to surrender once back onboard.

I book excursions in advance as OPTIONAL tours may sell out. However, on Viking river cruises they always leave you a sheet in your cabin day one to reserve optional tours. They suggest you return it that evening. I know many folks who were late selecting & missed their desired optional tours. Choosing on board lets you use any on board credit towards a tour.

Get euro coins for the toilets. Desk has always changed euros for us IF they have change. Otherwise buy postcards, etc. on land and ask for coins in change for your 20 euro bill.

Take any opportunity to stroll off the ship and explore by yourself. Desk has maps & concierge (different desk) can book stuff for you like a museum ticket.

If you like Viking river cruising I strongly suggest you purchase a number of $100 vouchers used for BOOKING (only) future viking cruises at a value 2x of what you purchased. Never expire & transferrable.

Edited by philw1776