Carnival Victory Vs Princess

Babs02

We're considering a Caribbean cruise next summer and the best itinerary is either Carnival or RCCL. Princess who we usually sail with have not much choice. Having previously cruised with RCCL and not Carnival would appreciate some advice on what the main differences between Princess and Carnival are.

We are in our late 40's early 50's travelling with our daughter in her 20's. Looking at a balcony and inside room.

If we choose late dining will we be able to see a show afterwards, this is an area that puts us off RCCL. Obviously food is subjective, but would we need to pay extra for fries or burgers during the day or is this included. I see that icecream is free during the day. Is there an adult only pool or do you pay extra for this. Are there fridges in the cabins.

Any other differences you could think of would be grateful.

Babs

Crown Princess June 2007

Navigator of the Seas February 2008

Emerald Princess August 2008

Grand Princess May 2009

Pacific Princess July 2010

Just like RCL if you have late dinner, your show will be BEFORE your dinner, not afterwards. This puts you off RCL??

Carnival will be no different. I dont remember shows after late dinner on Princess either, though they made me have any time dining so show times were messed up.

At least Carnival doesnt make you have anytime dining all the time and you do have a choice, unless you are very last minute.

I thought the food was better, more expensive on Princess, but the beds are harder, and the less expensive cabins are larger on Carnival. The balconys on Carnival, the balcony part is small.

We're considering a Caribbean cruise next summer and the best itinerary is either Carnival or RCCL. Princess who we usually sail with have not much choice. Having previously cruised with RCCL and not Carnival would appreciate some advice on what the main differences between Princess and Carnival are.

We are in our late 40's early 50's travelling with our daughter in her 20's. Looking at a balcony and inside room.

If we choose late dining will we be able to see a show afterwards, this is an area that puts us off RCCL. Obviously food is subjective, but would we need to pay extra for fries or burgers during the day or is this included. I see that icecream is free during the day. Is there an adult only pool or do you pay extra for this. Are there fridges in the cabins.

Babs

Crown Princess June 2007

Grand Princess May 2009

I don't know any cruise line that makes you pay extra for burgers and fries.......

The difference between Princess and Carnival is that Princess is a little more upscale, prettier elegant ships, less children with child security, better food IMO........

Just like RCL if you have late dinner, your show will be BEFORE your dinner, not afterwards. This puts you off RCL??

Carnival will be no different. I dont remember shows after late dinner on Princess either, though they made me have any time dining so show times were messed up.

At least Carnival doesnt make you have anytime dining all the time and you do have a choice, unless you are very last minute.

I thought the food was better, more expensive on Princess, but the beds are harder, and the less expensive cabins are larger on Carnival. The balconys on Carnival, the balcony part is small.

What cruiseline makes you have anytime dining all the time?

You didn't mention which ships you are specifically looking at because that can make a big difference even within the same cruise line. I sailed with the Princess Caribbean out of New York last year. I thought the food on Princess was a little better than Carnival. I also liked the adult pool area on Princess: there was plenty of shade and it was quite. Conversely on the Carnival Miracle, there was no shade at the adult pool and loud music was played all day. The cabins on Miracle were also much larger than Princess and the bedding was great. The Princess Caribbean was showing signs of age. The first pool towel I received had a hole in it and was very worn and the mattress in my cabin was in rough shape. I had a good time on Princess, but I was a bit disappointed because I thought Princess would be a step above Carnival. I will probably sail out of New York again next spring, but will mostly likely sail Carnival. The Princess Caribbean isn't worth the extra $$. I find it very helpful when looking for a cruise, to look at specific ships and sailings that interest me and then read the recent reviews for those particular ships. I hope this helps.

I did the Caribbean Princess Southern route 2 years ago. I'm doing the Victory this year. Both lines often have a late production show to accommodate the late diners (the shows are generally at 8 and 10). Sometimes the show times are reversed and the big production show for the late diners is before dinner (the shows will then be at 7 and 9). This is usually because there is something else planned for later in the evening. When I was on RCCL I had late dining and always saw a show after dinner.

Both Carnival and Princess have traditional early and late dining, plus anytime dining. NCL has done away with fixed seating and is open seating only. RCCL has Johnny Rockets, a burger place that costs extra, but if I remember correctly, there is also a grill for free burgers, etc.

Some cabins have fridges and some don't. It will vary from ship to ship. The layouts of the cabins differ, but I like them both. I also like the bedding in both.

Carnival has free soft serve, Princess doesn't. Both have scoop ice cream you can buy.

If you are debating between Carnival and Princess, overall IMO they are more alike than different. Choose whichever one has the more attractive ports for you.

Babs

Crown Princess June 2007

Grand Princess May 2009

Yes, we did late dining on the Victory and you will definitely be able to see a show after dinner. There are no fridges in the cabins, we were in a balcony cabin.

The adult only pool was in the rear (aft) of the ship and there was no extra charge. Security does enforce the no children rule very well. This is the pool with the retractable roof in case of rain. Then there is a pool in the center of the ship that seemed to be the party pool, where the band was, and another pool past that where the big outside TV screen is.

You do not pay extra for burgers, hot dogs, french fries or pizza. The only extra charge is for the steakhouse or specialty restaurant, whatever that is. We didn't ever pay extra because the food in the dining room was fine.

Carnival has a very different feel decor wise from RCCL and Princess. If this is important to you, then you might not like it but if you don't care, then you'll have jsut as nice a time. The southern caribbean route is very port intensive and you may not be spending a great deal of time on the ship anyway.

Hope some of this information helped.

- Sharon -

We just got off the Victory a week and a half ago. Awesome islands. We missed St. Marteen because the port was damaged. It became a sea day and the adult pool had the roof closed. I heard it is damaged and they can't leave it open while underway. Needless to say it was sauna. I was told it wasn't the normal demographic for Carnival. Since it left out of San Juan it had a lot of Spanish speaking people on it and they seemed to be a bit "loud". It was still a good experience though. I went on Princess several years ago and thought the service and food was better. Not to say it wasn't good on Carnival but it was a step up on Princess. The majority on that ship was people over say 50.

We too sail mostly on Princess ships, but have also sailed RCCL, HAL & Carnival. Since Princess does not have ships in the Caribbean in the late spring or summer we are doing the Carnival Valor in May. Main things are that Princess ships have subdued colors, Carnival is brighter & has a more "Fun" feel. My vote goes to Carnival beds, I think they are just more comfortable & the cabins have a small sofa & table. Food on both is very good but I give the edge to Princess and now that Carnival has anytime dining options that is important to us. Also like the idea of more pools along with "Adult" pools on Princess, Carnival needs to expand not only with the number of pools, but also size. IMHO - just go with an open mind & enjoy the change, don't compare it to anything else & you will have a great time!;)

I was on Grand Princess and Independance of the seas. Besides the upscale decor on these 2 ships. The pools on these 2 ships are allot bigger and better then on Carnival. Carnival Uses SEA Water in all there pools and they are drained every eve my the most part. They are only about 5 foot deep and only good for "getting wet" Cant really swim in them.

If you like Princess' ships in terms of layout and decor', you would probably prefer RCL over CCL. You won't go hungry on either line. I think RCL has a better lunch selection and better overall buffet. RCL has nicer adult only areas, and they do a better job at keeping the under 16 crowd out. And if you are active people, RCL offers more onboard activities like basketball, rock climbing, ice skating, inline skating, surfing.

Firefyl 333 - Princess shows are 8pm and 10pm so there is a show after both dinners

kurbanfun - RCCL charge extra for burgers & fries in Johnny Rockets

CruisinJul - as stated looking at Victory

jpg1747 - when we were on RCCL the show was before dinner and it was dead after 10pm

Considering either CARNIVAL cruise Victory or RCCL Serenade. No caribbean cruises for Princess next summer

Thanks everyone for there opinions.

Does Victory not have fridges in their balcony rooms? Does Victory do anytime dining? thought it was fixed dining

Any more comparisons would be good.

Babs

Firefyl 333 - Princess shows are 8pm and 10pm so there is a show after both dinners

kurbanfun - RCCL charge extra for burgers & fries in Johnny Rockets

CruisinJul - as stated looking at Victory

jpg1747 - when we were on RCCL the show was before dinner and it was dead after 10pm

Considering either CARNIVAL cruise Victory or RCCL Serenade. No caribbean cruises for Princess next summer

Thanks everyone for there opinions.

Does Victory not have fridges in their balcony rooms? Does Victory do anytime dining? thought it was fixed dining

Any more comparisons would be good.

Babs

Only if you choose that option which was nice....and no Carnival does not have that option.......but RCCL also serves hamburger and fries for free just like Carnival......

Princess and Carnival more similar than different. Princess a bit fancier.

Burgers are good on both lines, no extra cost, and pizza on P or C is much much better than RCL. Free ice cream 24/7 on Carnival. Princess has set times they service ice cream.

Regular balcony cabin on Carnival is larger than a regular balcony cabin on any Princess ship.

ENJOY! You get a great cruise with either line.

We have sailed Serenade and Victory out of San Juan. I preferred Victory itinerary but Serenade was better ship for us. There are no specialty restaurants on Victory and Serenade has 2. No real difference in MDR food. It is more difficult to find food later in evening on RCI.

In our experience Princess food and Carnival are about the same. Do not like buffet area on Princess. Carnival buffet is better. Princess ships are a lot more elegant.

We have sailed Serenade and Victory out of San Juan. I preferred Victory itinerary but Serenade was better ship for us. There are no specialty restaurants on Victory and Serenade has 2. No real difference in MDR food. It is more difficult to find food later in evening on RCI.

If you had to choose between the 2 which would you do again or would you not have a preference and why?

Babs

Does Victory not have fridges in their balcony rooms?Babs

No, but I dont think I would base my choice of a ship on that.

Fridge is just a glorified cooler- they do not keep anything that cold anyways. We take a small cooler-- one that holds 8 cans and the cabin steward keeps it full of ice for us.

No, but I dont think I would base my choice of a ship on that.

Fridge is just a glorified cooler- they do not keep anything that cold anyways. We take a small cooler-- one that holds 8 cans and the cabin steward keeps it full of ice for us.

Due to limits on airlines we can't bring a cooler with us. I have no intention of making my decision on whether there is a fridge or not but I am looking for comparisons of the cruise lines to make a fair judgement and the more information I have the better choice I can make. That is why I asked for peoples opinions and information.

Thanks to those who have given this, but I can't say that I am any nearer making a decision yet.

Babs

Babs02...... This will be our third time on the Carnival Victory with the Southern Caribbean itinerary (23 Jan. 2011). We have been on Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. I can not give you any info on Balcony cabins since we are always on the go while cruising so we do inside rooms. Carnival has anytime dining if you wish, our last cruise on the Victory we did early dining but had a table for two.... a date with my wife every night.

Burgers, hot dogs... I see you are from the UK so... and chips on the Lido buffet during the day. There is a 24 hour pizza / caesar salad place and ice cream / frozen yogurt machine deck 11 aft.

After a 2 week Dry-dock in November the Victory will no longer port in Dominica, Tuesday will be a "Fun Day at Sea".

I do not know how far out you are looking or flights to the USA but to add another ship to your list..... the Norwegian Dawn leaves from Miami during the winter season (Nov - Apr) 2010, 2011 and 2012 and travels the southern route to Barbados for 9 - 10 & 11 days. Also if flights are easyer... the Norwegian Gem and Jewel depart from New York early 2011 and the Gem will return early 2012

I hope this helps.... best of luck

Brookie & Ed:cool:

Babs02...... This will be our third time on the Carnival Victory with the Southern Caribbean itinerary (23 Jan. 2011). We have been on Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. I can not give you any info on Balcony cabins since we are always on the go while cruising so we do inside rooms. Carnival has anytime dining if you wish, our last cruise on the Victory we did early dining but had a table for two.... a date with my wife every night.

Burgers, hot dogs... I see you are from the UK so... and chips on the Lido buffet during the day. There is a 24 hour pizza / caesar salad place and ice cream / frozen yogurt machine deck 11 aft.

After a 2 week Dry-dock in November the Victory will no longer port in Dominica, Tuesday will be a "Fun Day at Sea".

I do not know how far out you are looking or flights to the USA but to add another ship to your list..... the Norwegian Dawn leaves from Miami during the winter season (Nov - Apr) 2010, 2011 and 2012 and travels the southern route to Barbados for 9 - 10 & 11 days. Also if flights are easyer... the Norwegian Gem and Jewel depart from New York early 2011 and the Gem will return early 2012

I hope this helps.... best of luck

Thanks we are looking at summer 2011, probably August this is why we are struggling to find a choice of cruiselines, We have already done Princess' New york to Caribbean so we are looking for southern caribbean Royal Caribbean & Carnival seem to have the best choice. We are tempted to go with the Carnival itinerary, we have the choice to join in Barbados instead of San Juan. We are also looking at a cruise & Stay as the cruises only tend to be 7 days. We have previously cruised Royal Caribbean so thought it would be good to try a different cruiseline.

The only thing I knew about Carnival is it has different decor & feel, which doesn't matter much, but it was the little things that tend to make a difference and am trying to find out if there are any significant differences we should be aware of.

For muster drill, do you stand on deck or wait in a lounge?

There was some mention of the lights flashing in the dining room when the waiters are entertaining is this true?

Babs

Babs02.... Muster Drill is on the outside decks by the life boats (Muster Stations)

The Lights do flicker.... but only when they put on their after dinner show.

Aug/Sept was rough this year for weather in the area.

The Victory was built in 1999/2000 so some of the carpet colors are dated, but the ship is in fine shape, again in November she will get a 2 week dry dock for larger maintainance items and to catch up on others.

Archived