Silversea Experience - Walvis Bay...

CASHIPman

We're on the Whisper that'll arrive Walvis Bay on 01FEB and doing the Silversea Experience of dining in the desert that that evening. For anyone who's done this experience can you tell me what time we leave the ship for the experience?

Thanks!!

I'm on the Wind arriving Walvis Bay 15 Feb, and am also very interested in the storied "Desert Dining under the Stars" excursion - I understand it's not to be missed. However, this excursion is not listed in any of the Walvis Bay exercusions one can choose online, nor is it listed as a "Silversea Experience" - at least not on my Voyage #2205. Should I contact Silversea directly about this? I was looking forward to this Namibian desert experience as the highlight of the entire cruise.

I'm on the Wind arriving Walvis Bay 15 Feb, and am also very interested in the storied "Desert Dining under the Stars" excursion - I understand it's not to be missed. However, this excursion is not listed in any of the Walvis Bay exercusions one can choose online, nor is it listed as a "Silversea Experience" - at least not on my Voyage #2205. Should I contact Silversea directly about this? I was looking forward to this Namibian desert experience as the highlight of the entire cruise.

I had noticed that the experience wasn't listed for my cruise as well. I emailed Silversea and the next day the excursion was listed on the online booking list. Coincidence? I'll let you be the judge. :p

Sounds like you know all the tricks, CASHIPman. What email address did you use to communicate with Silversea about getting this excursion on your voyage's itin? I'm all set to send my note to them re: Voyage #2205 but don't know where to send it/

Sounds like you know all the tricks, CASHIPman. What email address did you use to communicate with Silversea about getting this excursion on your voyage's itin? I'm all set to send my note to them re: Voyage #2205 but don't know where to send it/

I used the online "contact us" form found here. Easy peasy!

I took this excursion on Regent in 08. It is a wonderful evening. If you get there early, you can climb up a sand dune. The food, wine and entertainment was great. We were lucky to have a rainbow and rain over the desert. It got cool, so take a jacket. Hope you enjoy the evening as much as I did. When we returned to the ship, one woman complained that she didn't get to see the stars!!!! What could be better than rain in the desert..... it was just a drizzle.

Received a devastating email reply from Silversea advising that SS was discontiniuing this Walvis Bay Dinner under the Desert Stars and it would not be available either as a Silversea Experience or a paid excursion on Voyage 2205 or thereafter. I am crushed and am sure many, many other passengers on this Wind cruise will be too, as this experience was truly the most anticipated and extraordinary shore event on the entire itin, IMO. Duct Tape, is there any way to appeal this???:(:(:(

Received a devastating email reply from Silversea advising that SS was discontiniuing this Walvis Bay Dinner under the Desert Stars and it would not be available either as a Silversea Experience or a paid excursion on Voyage 2205 or thereafter. I am crushed and am sure many, many other passengers on this Wind cruise will be too, as this experience was truly the most anticipated and extraordinary shore event on the entire itin, IMO. Duct Tape, is there any way to appeal this???:(:(:(

Are you kidding? (I know you're not!). Will your voyage still overnight at Walvis Bay? Is there any reason to spend so long there if you don't have the dinner on the dunes?

I've emailed my TA to inquire on my behalf whether this is true or not, and to ask what is being offered instead. This is an 18 day cruise with 5 ports. To lose this experience is to devalue the cruise dramatically.

I figure if we all get our agents contacting SS, perhaps that will put pressure on them to reconsider.

Judging from the number of special promotions I've seen for this cruise, I'm wondering if the cruise is so empty that they cancelled the dinner because they couldn't make minimum numbers required by the contractor.

Now, now. I am not that scary!? Got the contact person name and address and will send him an e-mail in the morning. Don't expect to hear anything until after the W/E, if he responds at all! Will let you all know.

Scary? Not at all but you're a valuable asset to Silversea...if they're gonna listen to anyone it's gonna be you! (did I duck that bullet sufficiently??)

Good luck!

Countess K: Did Silversea say what the Silversea experience for your cruise will be?

Duct Tape, etal. --

Here's the text of the email I received regarding the "discontinuation" of the Dining in the Desert Silversea experience (rec'd Nov. 23rd):

Thank you for your website inquiry.

Since we are discontinuing the Silversea Experience program in 2012, the last Silversea Experience will be the Dining in the Desert on Feb. 1, 2012 in Walvis Bay, Namibia on the Silver Whisper since this voyage is part of the World Cruise. Unfortunately , this Silversea Experience will not be offered on your cruise, however we do offer a vast array of other shore excursions which will provide the same level of excitement and experience.

Please feel free to contact me or reservations at 1-800-722-9955 should you have any other questions.

Regards

Fran

informationdesk@silversea.com

:eek: I am totally bummed.........esp. as it appears it will not even be offered as a paid add-on excursion for those who wish to pay for it.

Bloody bean counters strike again .

Feel really sorry that you will no longer have the chance to experience this Countess K.

Since you are overnighting in Walvis Bay anyway, why not get SS to put you in touch with the local organisers and see if you set it up for yourselves.

I have heard from the appropriate Power-That-Is in FtL and SS Experiences will no longer exist, except under special circumstances, beginning in 2012. Those special circumstance are special voyages, i.e Grand Voyages and World Cruises. It was a cost-based business decision and that is the way it has to be. Things change and these are tough economic times, as you all know. The Dinner in the Deset was considered as an optional excursion but it had a very high net cost and would require a large minimum number of guests. I shall surely miss it! Dinner in the Desert...R.I.P.

Archived