Best location for sail away?

Esilef

It would depend on the ship, if you have a balcony, and if you like want to be on your own or up on the deck with lots of other people.

The ship makes a difference - for example Voyager is reversed in, so the PORT side is against the terminal. The Starboard side has the Opera House View. With a Voyager Balcony, you might like to be on your Balcony and see the Opera house and the view that goes with it.

But on the Port Side, as you leave you can see the Harbour Bridge.

In Dec 2013, even though we had a Balcony, we decided to be on the helipad so we could look either way. We left about 9pm - it was lovely.

On the Radiance, it is docked the opposite way, so the cabins and view are all reversed. They reverse out, point the aft towards the bridge, then swing the bow around and head out.

On other ships like P & O I don't think you can get all the way forward, so that rules out being in the similar spot to the RCI helipads.

So I guess it depends on what you want to see, and what ship you will be on!

Sometimes I like to be forwards and sometimes aft. Melbourne - definitely aft. Sydney - we were on the pool deck which was aft but I felt like I was missing out on the full panorama of the harbour so next time will be forward - but it's at night so very different.

I never stay on the balcony.

Edited by Pushka

We are on voyage in a corner aft balcony cabin on the port side.

You will get views of the Sydney Harbour and eventually Opera House as you exit the harbour. You won't see the Opera house as much in advance but you will once you start to pass it. It's on starboard side. But an aft cabin is better than a full Portside cabin.

Edited by Pushka

From a balcony you will only see one side.It also depends on where you leave from....

White Elephant Bay....definitely up on deck so so you get a good forward view of approaching and going under the bridge, then move aft to watch the City , Opree House , and Bridge fade into the distance.

OPT.... again up on deck so you can see both sides , and aft as sail down the harbour.

Also being aft , you do not see the rough water coming as you sail through the heads and into the ocean swells..:D

From a balcony you will only see one side.It also depends on where you leave from....

White Elephant Bay....definitely up on deck so so you get a good forward view of approaching and going under the bridge, then move aft to watch the City , Opree House , and Bridge fade into the distance.

OPT.... again up on deck so you can see both sides , and aft as sail down the harbour.

Also being aft , you do not see the rough water coming as you sail through the heads and into the ocean swells..:D

Yes. I'd agree with all of that. The only time I'd stay on the balcony, is for sail ins at 6am! But then coming in to Sydney I was dressed and on the top decks at 5am as I didn't want to miss anything. It was a long day. :p

Edited by Pushka

On the Sea, Sun and Dawn Princesses access to the most forward part of the ships can be made from decks 10 & 11 to the wrap around decks from the Port to Starboard side of the ships and forward of the bridge.

This position is unparalled for the Sydney Harbour Sailout and especially for the Fjiordland National Park cruising in New Zealand.

These two decks are not clearly marked for access but are entered from both long corridors to the cabins as far forward as you can walk and through a small pressure chamber out onto the decks.

John