I live in Funchal - Madeira Island. I can advice

Greetings Biaria

Being the #1 Madeira expert. How much (in your estimate) would a taxi cost to go to Prainha?

It looks like we want to do either: a tour of the island or a whale & dolphin watch. Then to a beach for awhile.:rolleyes: Wife' is leaning towards the whale watch. Your island looks too beautiful not to see more of it.

Hi FOXTROT,

A taxi from the pier to Prainha will cost you 55 EUR. If you ask the driver to wait for you for, say, 3 hours and then to bring you straight back, it'll be 75 EUR.

For Prainha plus a tour, you'll have to discuss with the driver about where to go, for how long and so on, for him to give you a price.

I'm not wanting to interfere in your wife's wishes, but, in my opinion, Madeira is so beautiful, that, if you have never been here, it's a pity not seeing more of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Biaria,

I have been reading your posts and gaining much information for my visit. Today I was looking for information on the internet and this site popped up. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18919736 I was very sorry to read of your town's fire. I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your town.

Sally

Hello vtwgalmm,

Unfortunately every summer our island goes through this terrible problem, however it feels like this year the fires are spreading more and are larger than usual.

On Thursday, we got the fright of our lifes, because we thought my daughter's house was going to be burnt down. Luckily, even though the ground all around it was burnt, the house was intact. In fact, this is what happened to her entire neighbourhood - all vegetation burnt, but all the houses ok.

This afternoon, some fires were still active in Camacha.

Thank you so much for your toughts and prayers, we really need them - I don't know when this hell will be over.

Hello vtwgalmm,

Unfortunately every summer our island goes through this terrible problem, however it feels like this year the fires are spreading more and are larger than usual.

On Thursday, we got the fright of our lifes, because we thought my daughter's house was going to be burnt down. Luckily, even though the ground all around it was burnt, the house was intact. In fact, this is what happened to her entire neighbourhood - all vegetation burnt, but all the houses ok.

This afternoon, some fires were still active in Camacha.

Thank you so much for your toughts and prayers, we really need them - I don't know when this hell will be over.

So sad about your fires. We will be there on Equinox on the transatlantic in Nov. 2012. None of the excursions include the Basket/ sledge ride. It will be on a Sunday. Do you know if they close on Sundays. We have visited 2 times before and have friends with us this time and want them to be able to enjoy this wonderful experience.

Hello gagirl,

All fires are extint now, but if it gets too hot again, they may come back - I hope they won't, though, because we all had our fair share of worrying and so much was burnt. Yesterday we had some good rain, which was excellent.

The basket ride closes at 1pm on Sundays. You're probably visiting Funchal on December 2nd - I looked at Madeira Ports website and I saw that Equinox is arriving at 7am, so you have plenty of time for the Toboggan. You can either get up to Monte on the cable car - about 40 minutes walk from the pier - or you can take the bus #20, or still you can take a taxi at the pier.

If you like the idea, you can even combine the stop in Monte, with a tour after the basket ride, which may be a good idea, as Madeira is beautiful - not all was burnt, so there's still lots to see.

Old Blandy wine lodge only opens on Sundays when a cruise ship comes through their agency. I don't know if it's the case with your cruise, but if you can locate it in a map, you can go there and have a look.

I read this on this thread a while back and was wondering how I can find out if the wine lodge will be open on Dec 2nd. We'll be sailing on the Equinox also.

Also I saw where special activities for Christmas will start on Dec 1st and go through the beginning of January. Will anything special be happening on Dec 2nd.

Thanks for all of your info. It's been very helpful.

Sally

Hi Sally,

I looked up the Madeira Ports website and it shows Aidasol arriving on December 2nd through Blandy's agency, however it docks at 3pm and considering the fact that it only sails away at 4pm the next day, I don't thing Blandy's Wine Lodge will open that Sunday.

Christmas activities are now starting later than usual and the official Tourism Board website sets this year's start for December 8th, so I'm afraid December 2nd will still be too early.

You're welcome and I'm pleased my contributions are being helpful.

Old Blandy wine lodge only opens on Sundays when a cruise ship comes through their agency. I don't know if it's the case with your cruise, but if you can locate it in a map, you can go there and have a look.

Is it worth it to schedule a trip to Old Blandy or would a walk around town and checking out the shops be enjoyable as well?

Hello Angelika,

The Old Blandy's Wine Lodge is only interesting if you appreciate Madeira Wine.

Otherwise, walking around town, exploring and visiting the gardens, churches, museums, or whatever takes your fancy - and shopping too, of course - will provide you with an enjoyable time on the island.

Hello gagirl,

All fires are extint now, but if it gets too hot again, they may come back - I hope they won't, though, because we all had our fair share of worrying and so much was burnt. Yesterday we had some good rain, which was excellent.

The basket ride closes at 1pm on Sundays. You're probably visiting Funchal on December 2nd - I looked at Madeira Ports website and I saw that Equinox is arriving at 7am, so you have plenty of time for the Toboggan. You can either get up to Monte on the cable car - about 40 minutes walk from the pier - or you can take the bus #20, or still you can take a taxi at the pier.

If you like the idea, you can even combine the stop in Monte, with a tour after the basket ride, which may be a good idea, as Madeira is beautiful - not all was burnt, so there's still lots to see.

I am so happy to hear! We were so afraid the basket ride was closed on Sunday, As I said no ship excursions have it listed in their description, We will head there first and do it on our own. Do you know any tour groups or operaters that do this in a city tour or can you get tickets ahead of timr? I can't seem to locate any info on it, THanks

Hi gagirl,

Yes, any tour operator will combine a stop in Monte for the basket ride, with a tour. I'm not allowed to mention anybody, but you'll find them on Google.

As far as I know, tickets for the basket ride are not available in advance. You pay just before starting the ride.

Hello Angelika,

The Old Blandy's Wine Lodge is only interesting if you appreciate Madeira Wine.

Otherwise, walking around town, exploring and visiting the gardens, churches, museums, or whatever takes your fancy - and shopping too, of course - will provide you with an enjoyable time on the island.

Thank you, Biaria. We still have a bottle of Madeira from a prior stop when we also took a tour, so will just wander around a bit.

Hello again Angelika,

You're welcome.

Yes, so maybe no need to go to Old Blandy's again this time.

If you didn't see more than Funchal itself on your last visit, then this time it may be a good idea to take a tour and discover the beautiful sights the island has to offer.

Hi Biaria,

I've been working on my Madeira plans and I have several questions. I'll be there on Sunday and would like to know where shops might be open on Sunday. Also same for place to sample/buy wine. If it wasn't on Sunday we'd go to the Market and Old Blandy's Wine Lodge. Also I haven't been able to find if they charge admission to the Madeira Botanical Gardens.

Can you recommend which gardens you would go to between Madeira Botanical Gardens and Jardin Botanico? So many questions and I'm sure I'm just getting started. Thanks again.

Hello Sally,

The vast majority of shops close in Funchal on Sundays, however, as you're coming in December, and with Christmas around the conner, more shops may be open. The Funchal Comerce Association had been trying to convince shop owners that it would be beneficial to open their shops on Sundays, whenever there's a cruise ship docked, but, so far, only a minority of them accepted the idea. Anadia Shopping Centre, across the street from the market, will most certainly be open, but some individual shops inside may be closed. Anyway, it's a question of looking around town and seeing what's open.

Some souvenir shops offer wine tasting, if you see any of them open, you can ask.

Yes, entrance to the Botanical Gardens is now 4 EUR per person for adults.

The Madeira Botanical Gardens and Jardim Botanico are exactly the same gardens.

Any further questions you may have, feel free to let me know.

Thanks for the quick reply and I certainly wouldn't have figured out that the two gardens I was looking at were the same. And I thought I had done good research!!! I actually thought one was in Monte and the other was in Funchal. Most of have been real tired when I was looking at that. Thanks again.

Hi again Sally,

The gardens in Monte are the Monte Palace Gardens, also known as Tropical Gardens, they are bigger than the Botanical Gardens and have more interesting details. Entrance is 10 EUR per person, for adults.

I've noticed that some people refer to the Monte Palace Gardens as Botanical Gardens and probably that's what mistook you.

:) hI bIARIA, I wrote to you about oct last yr , ??s about a tour , which you helped me with so well. Well the sad thing was that we were supposed to dock in Dec but couldnt because there was a stike.:eek: So we never did get there. But we will be coming to Madira next MAY on a TA!YAY!!WE will finally get to see the Island! Hoping no more strikes.:rolleyes: So we are looking at a tour to SAO MARTINHO....PICO DOS BARCELOS......EIRA DO SARRADO......CURRAL FREIRAS.

Is there any one of these that you would rec instead? Or are they really worth seeing. I did want to go to NUNS VALLEY, is any of these places near there?......Thanks sooo much ....JOAN.

Hello Joan,

Yes, I still remember the cruise ships that cancelled their visit to Madeira because of the strike - it was on a Wednesday, November 24th. On our island, life went on as normal, so it was a pity that the cruise liners decided not to come.

Yes, and I remember you as well :-) With such an interesting screen name, no way I would forget you.

Ok, now for your tour:

Sao Martinho is just the suburb where Pico dos Barcelos is situated, so not a specific location for stopping. Pico dos Barcelos yes, worth stopping there, because you'll see all the suburban area of Funchal.

Curral das Freiras and Nun's Valley are the same place and Eira do Serrado is the lookout to see the Nun's Valley and the area around it. I'd say yes, it's worth seeing - it's a deep valley with very high mountains.

You're welcome!

Me again Biaria,

Thanks for your opinion, re the tour were taking. I was a little dissapointed that were not doing that fishing village, something ....el lobos?

is that just a touristy thing or worth seeing? Also I want to say thanks once again for all the help you've given us all.......Joan.

Oh , one more thing ,are we going to be anywhere near the sea on our itinerary ?

Greetings Biaria, have another question for you. What do you consider the "must see" on your island? The tours that look great, take too long. Will most likely do a half day private taxi tour. Would like your input.

Thank you

Hi there

We are cruising on the Adventure of the Seas and will dock in Madeira on the 15th October.

We will have our 22 month old with us - can you advise of anything to do on the island that will be good activity for his age.

Thanks

Darren