June or September for Rhine cruise

travelnut4

We are looking at an Amsterdam to Basel cruise on the Rhine, and trying to decide between a mid-June cruise or early/mid September. The June cruise costs a little less. Which is better concerning weather, crowds, water conditions? Also, which direction- Amsterdam to Basel, or the reverse, or does it matter? Thanks!

Personally I prefer shoulder season due to less crowds. Weather and water levels are unpredictable at any time. We travelled early October last year and were fortunate to have very unseasonable warm weather. Travelled from Amsterdam and spent a few days there before the start of the cruise. As we were travelling upstream against the flow we noticed all the other boats going the opposite direction were really moving fast travelling with the current! Didn't impact on our cruise though. Check if there is any difference in itineraries north or southbound and if you can, the suggested arrival/departure times. Our trip included the Moselle which is less travelled but oh so beautiful!

The direction does matter. As noted above, traveling upstream from Amsterdam is slower and you get a long time passing the castles. Going downstream from Basel if you compare itineraries of the same cruiseline you will have an extra stop. Can’t go wrong either way

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Temperatures tend to be a little higher in June. As regards river levels September is minimally more favourable. Check the school holiday dates for the countries you will be visiting.

One significant difference between June and September are the hours of daylight, of course.

notamermaid

You all have given me other factors to consider- hadn’t thought about length of daylight hours or the speed of the current on a the river! I’ll look a little closer at the itinerary too. More research! Thanks everybody!

HI - We did the Rhine in September, and the weather was perfect. We did early September, and the biggest draw back was the cost of the flights (the prices were lower later in the month...).

My preference is to start in Amsterdam - as we tend to extend a bit before the cruise. Lots to do in Amsterdam. We had done the Rhine before - and were not impressed with Basel - so it didn't bother us that our stop there was really just to disembark.