Trying to decide on Antarctic cruise

mj_holiday

We are looking at Compagnie du ponant, Silver Explorer and Hurtigruten. Would be interested in people's impression of either of the ships if you have been on them. Also, does anyone have copies of bar menus. Will have more questions as we get further into making our decision.

Thanks

I've been to Antarctica on Hurtigruten's Fram (Polar Circle Expedition). Wonderful experience on all levels (ship, expedition team, cruise, landings). So wonderful I'm going again in Dec. 2013. You can see my pictures on my blog from here. If you have more specific questions I can try to answer them, but the bar menu was really not my priority.

Leaving tomorrow for the Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) trip; the ship part will be on the Corinthian II, a luxury ice cutter, reinforced hull ship. I have heard great reviews of the Fram (very small cabins though) and GAP. Good luck with your decision.

We are looking at Compagnie du ponant, Silver Explorer and Hurtigruten. Would be interested in people's impression of either of the ships if you have been on them. Also, does anyone have copies of bar menus. Will have more questions as we get further into making our decision.

Thanks

We went with Hurtigruten on the Shackleton Route, it was awesome. Some during our research thought that since the Fram carried more than about 100 passengers, our time on shore would be affected, it was never the case. We had as much time onshore as we wanted. We are headed back in Feb 2014 for a second trip. Can't help with the bar menus, sorry.

You can read our report with pics here:

http://opatravels.blogspot.com/2010/02/goin-south.html

We were on Ponant's LeBoreal in February and we were very happy with the experience. Our only disappointment was with the food, I guess thinking it was a French ship that we had our expectations set too high. If we had been only thinking of it as an expedition ship experience, we probably would have been completely satisfied. Sorry, I can't help with a bar menu either. In fact, while we usually photograph menus and meals and drinks, we didn't this trip because it was that bad. Here is a link to our blog of that trip. We had pretty good weather and great wildlife.

http://antarcticaonleboreal2012.blogspot.com/2012/01/we-leave-to-visit-our-7th-continent-in.html

Thanks

We thoroughly enjoyed the Silver Explorer February 2012. They provided two excursions each day, usually with landings, once a brilliant zodiac cruise among the icebergs and animals. We had plenty of time on shore. The area you can access is limited by topography and restrictions to protect the fragile environment.

Can't help with the bar menu, all drinks are included in the price of the cruise. You can nominate what you would like in your cabin frig. Possibly not all brands are available, but the selection was more than adequate for us. We ate delicious meals and the crew very attentive.

I have travelled with Quark/Peregrine twice and have a 3rd trip booked with them so I can highly recommend them.

But I have to say - when I am spending tens of thousands of dollars on an expedition to the most stunning landscape on the planet - the bar menu has never ever been at the forefront of my mind.

• 3 months later...
Leaving tomorrow for the Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT) trip; the ship part will be on the Corinthian II, a luxury ice cutter, reinforced hull ship. I have heard great reviews of the Fram (very small cabins though) and GAP. Good luck with your decision.

elpam- did you do a review anywhere? We are very interested in this trip. A family member went shortly after you and loved it! She shared her photos with us, but I like to get lots of perspectives. We sailed on the Galapagos Explorer II this past summer and the CII is almost the exact same layout (maybe built by the same ship builder)

I noticed that both Grand Circle and OAT (same company diff brands) offer this trip. One of the things I am wondering is if there is any difference in how the groups are treated on board? Did you have GC people on the ship? Were they guided in bigger groups (as the brand traditional has) or was it all pretty similar no matter who you booked with? Wondering if there is any price difference between the 2?

TIA

Look at all the reports and reviews here (i.e. this forum) for all the different ships. Remember that in Antarctica what matters is less the ship

(except the size distinction breaks at 100 and 200 passengers) than

exactly where they go and also when ... do you want to see

chicks hatch, bigger babies, more mammals, etc. Also, ice class REALLY

matters especially at the start and end of the season. Ia really is better than

Ib and that really is better than Ic. I was on a Ib in a place where Ia

MIGHT have got us to land south of the Circle, and Ia-super probably

would have and a real icebreaker would have for sure. But south of the Circle might not matter to you.

Also remember that only here (this forum) will you see full coverage of

Antarctica at Cruise Critic since many ships going there simply are not included at all in other places here (reviews, for example).

elpam- did you do a review anywhere? We are very interested in this trip. A family member went shortly after you and loved it! She shared her photos with us, but I like to get lots of perspectives. We sailed on the Galapagos Explorer II this past summer and the CII is almost the exact same layout (maybe built by the same ship builder)

I noticed that both Grand Circle and OAT (same company diff brands) offer this trip. One of the things I am wondering is if there is any difference in how the groups are treated on board? Did you have GC people on the ship? Were they guided in bigger groups (as the brand traditional has) or was it all pretty similar no matter who you booked with? Wondering if there is any price difference between the 2?

TIA

Here's a little review. The Antarctica trip was perfect, including the ship. The travelers were all like minded and varied in age and abilities. Can't say enough about the wonderful food (incuding the cookies every day in the lounge!), guides, naturalists crew, cabin (we had a great balcony by the bridge), landings, and especially all we saw. It was gorgeous and very moving. We were all with OAT (around 104 passengers), but the trip is now with the parent company, GCT. I don't know if there is a difference in the way it is handled, but from what I understand the change was just an internal reorganizing. The crew knew our names afterjust a few hours, we had a crew member assigned to helping all of us with our boots!, during the Drake passage going over, we had a "shake", category 8 at least, and we were able to order in room service and even DVDs to help pass the time until we got our sea legs. I had been very nervous about the Drake, but it wouldn't stop me from going back. On the return it was much milder, around a 4 1/2. We enjoyed Tierra del Fuego and Ushuaia very much, Buenos Aires not as much (hot, humid), but did like La Boca. The weather in Antarctica was clear and warm and we made 8 landings and did one real long zodiac ride around the bergs. We shopped at the UK station, good stuff, with Antarctica on the products. Best tshirts and fleece, etc. Not horribly expensive. You don't go there to shop, but we did shop! Penguins, seals, petrols, Orcas and other whales, were abundantly evident. We were given a laminated map with a list of possible sightings. December too early for the chicks, we wish we had seen them, but we saw hundreds of eggs and penguins running around with little rocks for their nests. Exciting to see our first flock of penguins swimming/porpoising after we were through the Drake. You will be in a white and blue prisitine world, in a luxury ship, pampered and well fed. There are no other people, no houses, no utility lines, we did see the Silversea ship once for a brief time, but really just us and the vast white continent. It takes your breath away and you do learn a lot and have fun. We had too many warm clothes and sox. Take silk glove liners and thin gloves, a lt. hat, casual dress except maybe the Captains' night when we notched it up a bit, poles with baskets were helpful, we used the patch for the Drake and were fine, we brought swim suits but didn't do the polar plunge because we did have one day of cloudy, cooler weather on that particular landing. Some did go in, and I regretted not. The boots provided were great and you had an opportunity to change sizes in Ushuaia. I will check back if you have any questions. I think going in January to see the chicks would be the only thing I would change. I can't see going all that distance and not landing on the continent. We were awarded certificates saying we survived the Drake and we landed on the continent, and those of us who have been to all 7 continents got a stamp on our certificate. I treasure it! Have a wonderful trip; you can't miss if you go with this company and on the Corinthian II.

Here's a little review. The Antarctica trip was perfect, including the ship. The travelers were all like minded and varied in age and abilities. Can't say enough about the wonderful food (incuding the cookies every day in the lounge!), guides, naturalists crew, cabin (we had a great balcony by the bridge), landings, and especially all we saw. It was gorgeous and very moving. We were all with OAT (around 104 passengers), but the trip is now with the parent company, GCT. I don't know if there is a difference in the way it is handled, but from what I understand the change was just an internal reorganizing. The crew knew our names afterjust a few hours, we had a crew member assigned to helping all of us with our boots!, during the Drake passage going over, we had a "shake", category 8 at least, and we were able to order in room service and even DVDs to help pass the time until we got our sea legs. I had been very nervous about the Drake, but it wouldn't stop me from going back. On the return it was much milder, around a 4 1/2. We enjoyed Tierra del Fuego and Ushuaia very much, Buenos Aires not as much (hot, humid), but did like La Boca. The weather in Antarctica was clear and warm and we made 8 landings and did one real long zodiac ride around the bergs. We shopped at the UK station, good stuff, with Antarctica on the products. Best tshirts and fleece, etc. Not horribly expensive. You don't go there to shop, but we did shop! Penguins, seals, petrols, Orcas and other whales, were abundantly evident. We were given a laminated map with a list of possible sightings. December too early for the chicks, we wish we had seen them, but we saw hundreds of eggs and penguins running around with little rocks for their nests. Exciting to see our first flock of penguins swimming/porpoising after we were through the Drake. You will be in a white and blue prisitine world, in a luxury ship, pampered and well fed. There are no other people, no houses, no utility lines, we did see the Silversea ship once for a brief time, but really just us and the vast white continent. It takes your breath away and you do learn a lot and have fun. We had too many warm clothes and sox. Take silk glove liners and thin gloves, a lt. hat, casual dress except maybe the Captains' night when we notched it up a bit, poles with baskets were helpful, we used the patch for the Drake and were fine, we brought swim suits but didn't do the polar plunge because we did have one day of cloudy, cooler weather on that particular landing. Some did go in, and I regretted not. The boots provided were great and you had an opportunity to change sizes in Ushuaia. I will check back if you have any questions. I think going in January to see the chicks would be the only thing I would change. I can't see going all that distance and not landing on the continent. We were awarded certificates saying we survived the Drake and we landed on the continent, and those of us who have been to all 7 continents got a stamp on our certificate. I treasure it! Have a wonderful trip; you can't miss if you go with this company and on the Corinthian II.

Forgot to say that our group sizes were 24 - 26, and I think that hasn't changed. We stayed with our group and became a "family" with Andrea as our guide. We mingled with other groups in the lounge and dining room. I suggest you go on the GCT forum and ask questions and read reviews.

Thanks Elpam for your review! This is what my husbands cousin experienced too! This was # 7 for her too! It will be for us because we are going to Istanbul in 2014 before this trip, so we will squeak in on a technicality! We do plan to travel to SE Asia, but have prioritized getting to Antarctica first because of the very real threat of climate change! We have many friends who travel OAT, and love it. We have not yet because we often travel with our kids, but they are growing up and going off now and we turn 50 this year, so we are ready for OAT now!

My email is Familygoboston AT yahoo DOT com, if you are willing it would be great to be able to ask you other questions as we research!

Two questions right off the top of my head-

1-not many folks get a balcony, did you choose that for a particular reason? I was concerned about the motion there vs being low and mid ships! Maybe booking later, that's what is left? I'm sure the trips fill quickly - what time of year did you book? I'm hoping to book as soon as 2015/16 comes out.

The other question is about the chicks. You said you wish you had gone in Jan because the chicks are still small and you missed it? Sounds like you were there for egg season, ( early Dec) but still some great ice I bet! I would imagine late Feb, the ice is lacking a bit.

Thanks again for your review...I did look for GCT on CC but couldn't find them. Ill have to look again, I tried " other cruise lines" and I looked under cruise lines "G" but didn't see it though I thought I had seen it in the past!

Thanks again for your help!

Kathy

The other question is about the chicks. You said you wish you had gone in Jan because the chicks are still small and you missed it? Sounds like you were there for egg season, ( early Dec) but still some great ice I bet! I would imagine late Feb, the ice is lacking a bit.

I'm not Elpam, but we returned recently from an amazing expedition on the National Geographic Explorer; our trip was late January/early Feb., so I wanted to reply to your question. I am going to post my own review one of these days (and on my blog), but life has really gotten away from me.

When we were there, the chicks were getting fairly large, and there was a lot of activity, running around, and feeding in the rookeries. Lots of fun to watch. (Some photos below.) In terms of when to go -- every trip is totally unqiue. Every day is totally unique!! You should think about what you would find the most interesting to you, and of course what works best in terms of your own schedule. We saw so much wildlife --whales and seals --besides adult penguins and chicks, and we loved it.

In terms of sea ice, I'm sure there was much less than there was in December, but the Weddell Sea in fact was still packed with ice and no ships had been able to get thru all season. I took the bottom photo below during the afternoon that our Captain spent pushing thru ice in the Weddell Sea because he simply loved doing it. It was a glorious afternoon. And of course there was still lots of ice everywhere, incuding gorgeous stunning icebergs, blue and white, the size of city blocks and larger. Our zodiac cruises around icebergs were amazing. I could look at the ice forever.

Adeliemealtime1024x679_zps30d21833.jpg

Chinstraps1024x768_zps87f34a01.jpg

AW100DSCN00741024x768_zps63967a61.jpg

WeddellSea2_zps7d3cdbb7.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Turtles- those photos are awesome! I apologize MJholiday for taking your "bar menus" off topic...please forgive me!

Deciding " who" to travel with is one consideration and then deciding "when" is the other. We are between Nat Geo/Linblad and the OAT/GC trip. the big difference being price and either needing to book ourselves directly (OAT) , or use our TA ( Nat Geo)

As for when...we will have two in college, with Xhristmas/ Jan breaks (but we are not planning on them joining us) but we would like to be around for them when they are home, so we were thinking either early Dec, (which is when Elpam and our cousin went) or late Jan when you went. I'm thinking I can't resist those little penguins! A Jan trip will probably be it.

One thing that was amazing about the Galapagos is that they don't have a breeding "season", so we saw birds doing mating rituals, next to birds nesting, next to birds feeding teeny chicks, as well as gangly juveniles sitting on nests. The whole spectrum. This trip is more like Africa- you've got to choose your season and hope nature cooperates!;)

Ill be looking for your full review!

1-not many folks get a balcony, did you choose that for a particular reason? I was concerned about the motion there vs being low and mid ships!

We would never 'pay to sway', especially on an Antarctic trip: low down and mid ships is where we prefer to be. I can't imagine being high up when crossing the Drake when it's rough or even Antarctic Sound as we found it. Added to that, you spend very little time in the cabin other than to sleep and change into and out of landing clothes.

We would never 'pay to sway', especially on an Antarctic trip: low down and mid ships is where we prefer to be. I can't imagine being high up when crossing the Drake when it's rough or even Antarctic Sound as we found it. Added to that, you spend very little time in the cabin other than to sleep and change into and out of landing clothes.

This is what I've always heard and read- and also was my experience on other expedition cruises. As a matter of fact, it seems that the balcony and " suites" are always the last ones booked- given the overall cost of these trips, I don't think it's because folks can't afford them, but rather that it seems more practical for these kinds of trips. The only time we were in our cabin in the Galapagos was to sleep or pack;) However, in French Polynesia we spent every afternoon on our balcony, and loved it! I was wondering if people get the balconies as upgrades once the base cabins fill?

We chose the balcony and loved having it. So did everyone we knew who were on our deck. It wasn't because we had no choice. We went out on it frequently when we had down time, and didn't worry about changing out of pajamas. We caught sights of whales, penguins porpoising, petrols at every moment we looked. It was awesome. Of course, on the Corinthian II, you could always go out on deck from every cabin, but having the balcony was instant and we thought worthwhile. We liked keeping the door open at times too, we even sat at our little table and took it all in. It is not a deal breaker though. The important thing is to go! One thing I wouldn't have liked is that people out on deck walking around can see into the cabins of those without the balconies if the curtains are open in the cabin. Can't remember if that was every deck though. Also, we didn't find the sway much different on our deck as it is a small ship; we checked that out. I wouldn't go to the very top deck, but ours, one below, was okay. The only time I felt a little sea sick was when I was on the bottom deck in the dining room. We loved being in the cabin right next to the bridge and frequently went to the v deck in front to see what was happening on the other side of the ship and talk to the naturalists and crew. The nautralists will be all over the ship talking and answering questions, by the way. I believe we navigated through the ice very well and did get into the Weddell Sea. One of the zodiac drivers/naturalists told us that the weather in early December is often the best. It was so clear, quite warm. We did not see the chicks though, and although that didn't bother me while I was there (there was an abundance of sea life and so much to see), I wish we had. I think every month is the best time for many reasons, and you never know ahead of time what you will have, either on the Drake or in the peninsula. Go when you can and love what you see. I have seen chicks on Phillips Island in Australia and swam up to penguins in the Galapagos, so you know I love penguins. We will be seeing more penguins in Capetown on our upcoming trip to Africa.

I have to agree that I found it unnerving to have people on the promenade being able to see into your room if the curtains aren't closed and if the are, what's the point of the window. In the Galapagos we rarely had time to look out and no one had time to be on deck ;) I think this trip might have more deck time, based on his many cruising days there are. Just wonder if I will feel we'll enough to enjoy it!

I am more worried about the motion- I always have trouble in the dining rooms and theater where there are no windows. I did ok on this size ship with the humbolt current, didn't need the patch there, just ginger and some Meclazine at night on the roughest nights.

I also enjoy getting up and bring able to go on the balcony in my PJs in the AM! We will have to decide if this is worth it for this trip.

I am more worried about the motion- I always have trouble in the dining rooms and theater where there are no windows. I did ok on this size ship with the humbolt current, didn't need the patch there, just ginger and some Meclazine at night on the roughest nights.

I also enjoy getting up and bring able to go on the balcony in my PJs in the AM! We will have to decide if this is worth it for this trip.

Well, a balcony on the Nat Geo Explorer was certainly out of the question for us financially. Did I miss it? Not really.. . We had little down time. It's not the sort of trip where you sit on your balcony reading and drinking coffee. I'm sure if we had one I'd have stepped out there a lot to take photos, and that would have been great. ... If money's no object, sure, go for it. But I don't feel as though our trip was lacking in any way.

As for motion... I don't get sea sick, and I love the motion, and during both of our (fairly rough/windy) crossings of the Drake, I was on the bridge with a few other nuts taking pics of the water coming over the bow. :)

DrakeSplash1024x678_zps9c13906c.jpg

But I'd say that about 2/3 or more of the folks on board were wearing a patch, incuding my partner; it certainly worked well for her. Our cabin was on the lowest deck with passenger cabins, pretty much midship, the most stable place to be. My partner was fine (but she certainly wasn't up on the bridge with me during the crossings!). In fact, a couple of weeks ago, when she first saw the photo above, she said, "I never saw anything like that!" :)

(photo by turtles06)

Well, a balcony on the Nat Geo Explorer was certainly out of the question for us financially. Did I miss it? Not really.. . We had little down time. It's not the sort of trip where you sit on your balcony reading and drinking coffee. I'm sure if we had one I'd have stepped out there a lot to take photos, and that would have been great. ... If money's no object, sure, go for it. But I don't feel as though our trip was lacking in any way.

As for motion... I don't get sea sick, and I love the motion, and during both of our (fairly rough/windy) crossings of the Drake, I was on the bridge with a few other nuts taking pics of the water coming over the bow. :)

DrakeSplash1024x678_zps9c13906c.jpg

But I'd say that about 2/3 or more of the folks on board were wearing a patch, incuding my partner; it certainly worked well for her. Our cabin was on the lowest deck with passenger cabins, pretty much midship, the most stable place to be. My partner was fine (but she certainly wasn't up on the bridge with me during the crossings!). In fact, a couple of weeks ago, when she first saw the photo above, she said, "I never saw anything like that!" :)

(photo by turtles06)

Wow! Very dramatic, I'm the type that I would want to feel well enough to go up to the bridge and see that! ;) Did they make you clip in to step outside? Or was this from inside? ( it doesn't look like it,:eek:) I will def have a the patch, my travel dr is very good, he likes us to have anything we need, knowing we are unlikely to use it unless we must. I still have antibiotics and diamox from past trips we've never used!

Wow! Very dramatic, I'm the type that I would want to feel well enough to go up to the bridge and see that! ;) Did they make you clip in to step outside? Or was this from inside? ( it doesn't look like it,:eek:) I will def have a the patch, my travel dr is very good, he likes us to have anything we need, knowing we are unlikely to use it unless we must. I still have antibiotics and diamox from past trips we've never used!

That picture was taken from the safe, dry, confines of the inside of the bridge. :) I don't recall any restrictions on going outside, ever, except our own common sense. There were a couple of days when the elevators were shut down, but I'm sure that's because they were going too far off vertical!

I'm like you on the drug supplies. If it's something really important that I might need that could be hard to get, I take it along. I always travel now with cipro and a Z-pak (among other things).

I have to agree that I found it unnerving to have people on the promenade being able to see into your room if the curtains aren't closed and if the are, what's the point of the window. In the Galapagos we rarely had time to look out and no one had time to be on deck ;) I think this trip might have more deck time, based on his many cruising days there are. Just wonder if I will feel we'll enough to enjoy it!

A balcony on the OAT trip was not that much more, so it was worth it to a lot of our group, but I know it can be quite a bit higher with other companies. The important thing is to go! I didn't have a problem in the Galapagos but did find I needed the patch when crossing the Drake. I was fine with that and did not need it otherwise. Even wrist bands help. There are windows on the Corinthian II in the dining room and lounge and entertainment/meeting room, so no worry there on that ship. The ship is small enough that there was little difference between the motion on the decks. I found I worried needlessly. Even at 8+, the Drake wasn't that bad, in fact it was an experience. I had more of a problem with the land being a little slippery in places, which is why I suggested bring poles with baskets.

Thanks Elpam, I'm glad to know there is not a big price difference. DH is a very avid photographer and often wants to get a shot as soon as he sees it, so he does like the balcony for that - something to consider; no matter what time of day ( and we will always have the light!) no matter what he's wearing- he can jump up and shoot something if he sees it!

This trip is really something he wants to do. I do occasionally get sea sick on rougher passages, he rarely does, so he's been trying to convince me. I had one night in the Galapagos where I needed to take Meclazine before bed.

But, it's such an incredible trip to go to Antarctica, that I cannot let that concern me- especially since there is a treatment for it. As you said, it's part of the adventure.

Did OAT provide walking poles, or did you being your own? We do not have them as we have no trouble hiking without them most places, but I could see how they would be useful on the ship and again on the ice. Should we invest in a set, or just borrow them aboard? Sorry to get off on a tangent again, but I suppose it's all related:o

Archived