School Break in October?

house7

Can anyone tell me if there is a school break in October in the USA and when it is? The cruise we are booked on just jumped in price while the other dates around it are lower. I'm thinking it might be a school break.

If schools do have a break, it would vary by school district. I do know that some have a fall break. We have half a week at the end of September off while the teachers go to a conference. It could be that a large group has booked on that cruise, so the price went up because there are now fewer cabins available or something.

We're in the suburban NYC area, and our public school district has Thursday, 10/9 off for Yom Kippur, and Monday, 10/13 for Columbus Day - more than a few people I've spoken with are planning trips over that long weekend, with the kids being absent on Friday 10/10. But that's not a regular event, it just worked out that way this year.

We're fortunate to have a full week off in October for Fall Break. However, I think that's pretty unusual, and the districts near us don't have it. We like to go to Disneyland during our Fall Break because we find it 's not as horribly crowded as during the summer. So if you're trying to avoid a school break time, I think you're pretty safe.

I don't know what cruise line you're on, but with Princess once you're actually booked you can call them up and ask how many kids are booked during your cruise.

--Junglejane

In Oklahoma we have 3 days off usually the 3rd week of Oct for fall break and we have cruised during this time. Pulling my kids out for 2 days doesn't bother me because of the wonderful family time that we have. And I figure the education they get in the various ports is well worth it. My sons are in high school and college now so it is alittle harder to get the same school breaks.

Here in Nebr. there is usually a two-day (TH-Fr) break at the end of October. It used to be for Teacher's Convention, but I'm not sure they do that any more. I have noticed recently that those days off in Oct. vary more as to timing than they used to, though; not always the last weekend, but towards the end of Oct.

We have teacher's convention here in Wisconsin the last Thursday and Friday in October.

Yes, it is pretty much state-wide (although sometimes the easter and wester sides of the state are about a week off). Our school district always adds 1/2 or 1 full extra day, so we generally plan a trip somewhere!

Archived