Viking Longships - Will Others Copy

CPT Trips

All the discussion of this year's low water makes me wonder if other cruise lines will copy the design of these ships.

I confess, I have never cruised on one . . . but there are some interesting points of discussion that make me think that they won't become the design of choice for river cruising, draft aside.

The design forces Captain and crew to change their docking procedures. Deck hands and Capt/helmsman do not have full visual contact as crew is not on an open deck as with the conventional design. Assuring crew safety becomes more complicated due to the design.

It is not a certainty that the hybrid power system has delivered on the promised fuel efficiency. Our Captain said that the longships require up to 150% as much fuel as his conventional ship. I can't point to any sites as my searches have only turned up the predictions . . . I guess actual performance is proprietary. Another complication of hybrid technology is the electric control complexity when there is competition for power between the hotel and propulsion.

My guess is that a couple of design elements will be more frequently used. The off center hall of the longships is one design feature that will likely be incorporated into new builds of conventional design. We'll probably also see greater use of solar.

It will be interesting to see what other line's new builds look like . . .

I for one hope that other lines DON'T copy the longships:

• the "patented" offset corridor does not really "allow for full-size staterooms combined with full-size verandas" -- Viking's own statistics show that a standard cabin on the lower deck is 150 sf while the non-veranda cabins on the upper decks are only 135 sf. So they have robbed Peter to pay Paul.

• as we have seen with the low-water situation on the Danube, these ships need more draft than other designs so they will have more problems with varying water levels

• there are too many passengers on these ships, which will lead to crowding, lines, and congestion

I'm surprised that you feel crowded or that it's congested. We just didn't feel that at all. We felt the decor was lovely as well. NEVER stood in a line. Viking does a great job. We loved the longship and would definitely choose to cruise on one again without hestitation.

Tauck and Scylla just christened their new boat M.S. Savor and it's layout looks very smart. As for those that like to cruise with 200 other souls I think you should experience what it is like to cruise with just 120 before you beat your drum.

I believe that Viking has applied for patents on several aspects of the longships including the offset hall design.

FuelScience

On their website, they say several were issued, "Corridor configuration designs U.S. Patent # 1832106-0001 to 1832106-0011." When I search that patent number, I get a totally different item from the '30s. Of course, I'm no patent attorney . . .

CPT,

I too searched the patent office site--including published applications. The numbers are not in the proper format for either US patents or application numbers. I also searched the European patent office, but got no hits there either.

FuelScience

Tauck and Scylla just christened their new boat M.S. Savor and it's layout looks very smart. As for those that like to cruise with 200 other souls I think you should experience what it is like to cruise with just 120 before you beat your drum.

Honestly, people don't scare us. We are perfectly happy with the longships but thank you for the suggestion.

Honestly, people don't scare us. We are perfectly happy with the longships but thank you for the suggestion.

I really do wish there were a "like" button on cruise critic. I would love to cruise with you.

But you haven't sailed on these other ships, so by your own statement you shouldn't be commenting.

But you haven't sailed on these other ships, so by your own statement you shouldn't be commenting.

As for those that like to cruise with 200 other souls I think you should experience what it is like to cruise with just 120 before you beat your drum.

You are absolutely correct. I haven't sailed on Tauck or Scylla but I have on a Viking longship. My statement was in response to Ozjohnno's post above.

joanne2, it would be fun to cruise with you. Anytime!!! :)