Brilliance - Baltic cruise 2 days in St Petersburg

We are on the 1 May cruise on the Brilliance, departing Amsterdam for the Baltic. On 7/8 May we are scheduled to be in Russia. Given the current tensions (we are British, and our government is in something of a spat with Russia at present) will the current political climate affect that section of the cruise?

We are on the 1 May cruise on the Brilliance, departing Amsterdam for the Baltic. On 7/8 May we are scheduled to be in Russia. Given the current tensions (we are British, and our government is in something of a spat with Russia at present) will the current political climate affect that section of the cruise?

I seriously doubt it. Russia is still out for everyone's capitalistic dollars.

In St Petersburg, unless you secure your own visa and that is a major investment in time and money, people who visit do one of two things, book a ship's excursion or do a tour with an independent tour company. They both supply you with a temporary visa for 72 hours but you still cannot go off on your own, you must stay with your guide or group.

If you go over to the Northern Europe/Baltics port of call board on this site, you will see, to a man, that everyone will recommend a tour with one of the several wonderful independent tour companies that will show you St Petersburg. You will get more for your money and won't have to put up with large crowds on big buses. Seriously, this IS the way to see St Petersburg, no matter what the ship or crusie company tell you. We used SPB Tours for our 2 days in St Petersburg and they are simply wonderful.

Cheers

Len

Absolutely not....no one will care...Hopefully you've booked a private tour. We used TJ Travel for just the two of us and it was amazing !

I seriously doubt it. Russia is still out for everyone's capitalistic dollars.

In St Petersburg, unless you secure your own visa and that is a major investment in time and money, people who visit do one of two things, book a ship's excursion or do a tour with an independent tour company. They both supply you with a temporary visa for 72 hours but you still cannot go off on your own, you must stay with your guide or group.

If you go over to the Northern Europe/Baltics port of call board on this site, you will see, to a man, that everyone will recommend a tour with one of the several wonderful independent tour companies that will show you St Petersburg. You will get more for your money and won't have to put up with large crowds on big buses. Seriously, this IS the way to see St Petersburg, no matter what the ship or crusie company tell you. We used SPB Tours for our 2 days in St Petersburg and they are simply wonderful.

Cheers

Len

This is great information, thanks for sharing. Years back I spent some time in Sevastopol when I was with the US Navy, had a great time there. Also spent time on their destroyer Vinogradov. The Russians - I wish they were our allies and we'd all put this Cold War nonsense behind us.

• 2 months later...

We are taking the same cruise in July. Would really like to see the the daily Cruise Compasses if you have them! We have a handicapped person with us so we like to plan ahead.

When we went in 2014 there was also some 'world' event that created massive tension with the UK/US and Russia.

I can't recall exactly what it was now (it might have been the invasion of the Ukraine) but I know I was a little apprehensive at the time. I didn't need to be though.

We had a private two day tour and I spoke to our guides about it the first day. Whilst recommending that I didn't walk around with a Union Jack flag on my back (they were joking of course) the reality was to everyday normal Russians it had no significance. Normal Russian people were more worried about work, bills, traffic jams etc and normal stuff like us.

It stuck with me, behind all this political nonsense is normal people on both sides.

St Petersburg is a fabulous place to cruise to, like Ashland above we went with TJ Travel for a private tour which was absolutely fantastic.