Hotels in Barcelona and Athens

HBINLA

It depends on where/what you want. First, most hotel rooms in Europe will hold only 2 people. If you are more than that, you are likely to need 2 rooms.

In Barcelona, if doing just an overnight before the cruise, we recommend the Tryp Aeropuerto (or something spelled close to that). They have complimentary transportation to and from the airport and transportation to the cruise terminal for a small fee. They are located on several bus lines that will get you to the central city area (if you are planning to only go once.) I wouldn't waste my time doing the bus or train from these locations if going into the city multiple times.

We also stayed once at the Hesperia near the airport. They also offer a "complimentary" shuttle to the airport and to the downtown area, but the runs are very limited. We had to take a very overpriced cab to the airport as their shuttle didn't start early enough for our flight.

If you are planning a few days and want to see the city, you will want to stay near the Columbus statue or in the La Rambla area. This is where all the nightlife, etc. is.

To get from the airport into the city, there is a train. You can buy a strip of 10 tickets which can be used by multiple people--for husband and wife, you would each use one ticket, leaving 8 on the strip. This is WAY less costly than buying individual tickets.

I'm a Hilton frequent traveler and I highly recommend the doubletree Alexandra in Barcelona very east to get to from airport by taking train. You can take subway or 15 euro taxi to ship. For Athens the anthens Hilton is very nice. Right by subway to airport I think 8 euros and you can also get to cruise ship by taking the express bus from cruise ship, x80 I think

in Barcelona--the subway will not get you to the ship. It will basically get you to the Columbus statue. From there, it is a several mile walk (depending on which space your ship is docked at) and you will definitely want to take a hotel shuttle bus or take a cab from the statue. It is too far for all but the most hardy to walk with luggage.

On a previous cruise, our cruise line operated a shuttle bus for 2.50 Euro from the ship to the Columbus statue. Different line though.

We are doing the same thing in July and booked Hotel Regina in Barcelona and Hotel Electra Palace (which we've stayed at before and loved). Both have family rooms that accommodate 4 people and both are located in central coveted locations that put you within walking distance of most sites. Hope this helps, good luck and happy travels.

• 2 weeks later...
We are doing the same thing in July and booked Hotel Regina in Barcelona and Hotel Electra Palace (which we've stayed at before and loved). Both have family rooms that accommodate 4 people and both are located in central coveted locations that put you within walking distance of most sites. Hope this helps, good luck and happy travels.

Funny - I put these 2 on hold!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On our past trip in October, we stayed at the Barcelona Hotel Colonial in the Gothic section. We loved it! And there is nice café down the street to get coffee and breakfast. Also some supermarkets to pick up some things. As we did our own little trip to Monteserrat. We bought some fresh bread and coldcuts, cheese, a bottle of wine and some cups and had a picnic up on the mountain. One of the best memories of the trip. We also walked everywhere and the gothic section is beautiful and relaxing. We sat/laid back and looked at the stars on the steps of an old church while people strolled by, and children played, and just took it all in. Yes, we had almost 3 days to enjoy and enjoy we did! Don't try to do it all, you will make yourself miserable. Have a nice meal, get some good wine. Look for restaurants off the beaten track. If they have menus and signs in English, it is most likely touristy.

Athens- we stayed at the Electra hotel. Loved having a balcony room over the front of the hotel. Close to hoho bus. Right at syntagma square to see the changing of the guards. Staff very helpful. If you're there on a Sunday morning don't miss the parade and the huge changing of the guard ceremony. I did some video of it and when I need a boost I pull it up.