If you didn't take an excursion in Falmouth what did you do and do you recommend it?

RQINFL

Hello! Never been to Falmouth. There really are not many ship excursions listed and I'm having trouble finding much information on what else we can do while in port.

I really don't want to just walk around the port shopping area or stay on the ship so would appreciate any suggestions.

For those of you who did your own thing, what did you do and would you recommend it? We are pretty much open to anything. Thanks!

There's an information booth inside the port area. Some shipmates took a shuttle to Doctor's Cave beach - they enjoyed themselves. There is river rafting, manor houses, several beaches, etc.

I walked to Burwood Beach. Do I recommend it? Not for "normal" people. But I did find out that the reputation of Jamaica as a place you cannot step outside of "safe" areas without being mugged/murdered is slightly exaggerated. I found people quite friendly.

Our family booked a tour with Errol at Travel Jamaica Tours. I simply emailed him with a request and he quickly responded. We visited Blue Hole and went river tubing on the white river. Errol and Mellow (the driver) were wonderful! They were very personable and accommodating to our huge party of 20 people. I would recommend him to everyone!! Here's his webpage: http://www.traveljamaicatours.com/

Check out Courtney Taylor's Jamaican Tours. He has a very high listing on Trip Advisor and is well experienced. He'll create a tour to your wishes for a reasonable price. You will be well taken care of.

I like the idea of booking a private tour but am not sure what we would want to see.

It seems like all I can find information on is water related activities. We have done so many of these things I'm looking for something different ~ maybe some shopping, historical sites (are any of the great houses worth seeing?) and lunch.

Are there any beaches with fun beach bars we could stop by?

Thanks so much for all the answers!!

• 2 weeks later...

I walked to Burwood Beach. Do I recommend it? Not for "normal" people. But I did find out that the reputation of Jamaica as a place you cannot step outside of "safe" areas without being mugged/murdered is slightly exaggerated. I found people quite friendly.

I wanted to visit Burwood Beach and everyone in the port was telling me not to go there And it's difficult to find opinions in here since it looks like no one goes there

How was your experience at the beach, in case you want a taxi, did you find them around the beach? Since the beach is a public beach did you find more tourist at the beach or you felt like you were the only one

Thanks for the info

I wanted to visit Burwood Beach and everyone in the port was telling me not to go there And it's difficult to find opinions in here since it looks like no one goes there

How was your experience at the beach, in case you want a taxi, did you find them around the beach? Since the beach is a public beach did you find more tourist at the beach or you felt like you were the only one

Thanks for the info

Since I was not using a taxi I didn't bother looking. HOWEVER, there is a resort a short walk down the beach - Royalton? - where I'm sure a taxi could be easily summoned.

Burwood is at the east end of a long stretch of beaches extending to the west. The resort and an excursion drop-off are immediately to the west, so it hardly has a deserted feel.

On Burwood itself, I went on a weekday and it was not crowded. The resort is pretty close and that had a touristy feel. On the public stretch I did not get a different "vibe" than anywhere else I've been. The only exception is that a couple of entrepreneurs were selling "smoke" - not a tobacco product I'm afraid. A simple "no thank you" was sufficient.

There were other vendors including a kiosk selling Red Stripe etc. As for food and restrooms I simply didn't look.

About a mile to the west I did indeed find some stretches where I was the "only one". I did not expect to be bothered by the "locals" and I was not. Anyway the typical person would not want to hike through the scrub to even get there.

Sorry to the Jamaica-haters, but I failed to get murdered. Maybe next time.

Hello! Never been to Falmouth. There really are not many ship excursions listed and I'm having trouble finding much information on what else we can do while in port.

I really don't want to just walk around the port shopping area or stay on the ship so would appreciate any suggestions.

For those of you who did your own thing, what did you do and would you recommend it? We are pretty much open to anything. Thanks!

Our first cruise to Falmouth, we hustled off the ship and bought tickets for the trolley that provides a narrated tour throughout Falmouth. Gave us an overview of the town. It's a pretty inexpensive way to see the town.

We booked a walking / culinary tour of Falmouth. It has great reviews. Check it out:

Jamaica Culinary Tours

We have taken this tour, and it is one of our all time favorites. Totally enjoyed learning about the history and tasting the local cuisine. It was very hot, so go prepared with sunscreen and a hat or cap. Also, one of the last places on the tour we went to a restaurant. You will need to pay for extra drinks there.

Edited by denamo

Our first cruise to Falmouth, we hustled off the ship and bought tickets for the trolley that provides a narrated tour throughout Falmouth. Gave us an overview of the town. It's a pretty inexpensive way to see the town.

This trolley tour sounds like something we would like. Is there somewhere we can find out more about it? We would really like to find some things to do near the port. It's not beacuse we think badly about Jamaica, we just don't want to spend our day riding around in a bus! We aren't much into food tours either, just not our thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Our family booked a tour with Errol at Travel Jamaica Tours. I simply emailed him with a request and he quickly responded. We visited Blue Hole and went river tubing on the white river. Errol and Mellow (the driver) were wonderful! They were very personable and accommodating to our huge party of 20 people. I would recommend him to everyone!! Here's his webpage: http://www.traveljamaicatours.com/

Thank you for the information. I will reach out to Errol. Can you tell me how long the drive to your first stop was? Did you do the blue hole or tubing first? We are a group of 18 (ages 17 to 75) and I think these two activities would appeal to the young and old. How was the vehicle? Was it air conditioned?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Getting ready to head there in a couple weeks- would love to check out the culinary tour! That link isn't working for me- can someone post it again? Is that through the cruiseline or an independent tour? Sounds exactly like what we'd want to do!

Thanks also for the rec's for Errol's and Courtney tours. It's great to know who comes highly recommended!

Edited by Awaken

Three years ago we took a cruise that docked in Falmouth. Since this was our third time to Jamaica we had already done a lot of the usual tourist attractions (I note you are not too interested in more water activities). Anyway, we hired Patricia of Patmar Tours and crafted a day focusing on the history of Jamaica. We stopped at Columbus Park (site where Columbus supposedly resided while repairing his ships), visited Rio Bueno (mentioned in his log as a source of his fresh water), and toured Green Grotto and Runaway Cave (shelter for runaway slaves as well as the Spanish governor during an English invasion). Patrice suggested lunch at Scotchies, famous for the island's 'best jerky' where we were the only non-natives present. Afterwards, we visited Seville Heritage Plantation...a fascinating place where even the grounds contained old grave-sites and anchors from sunken ships as well as a recreated Arawak Village.