What to do with your stuff when you go in the ocean??

BengalMom

We are planning our 5th cruise in February. This will be the first time I will join my husband in the water for snorkel. What do you do with your stuff when you are in the water so it doesn't get taken?

Edited by BengalMom

If you are diving from a boat, there is no issue. If you are doing a beach dive usually the dive shop has lockers for you. The real key is not to take anything to the beach that you either can't take in the water with you or don't care about. No one is going to take your towel or T shirt. If your camera can't dive with you leave it on the ship. Money, CC's and ship cards can all get wet. Leave your phone on the ship.

First, take as little as possible with you. Are you diving from a boat or shore? If a boat, you should be able to leave things on the boat. If from shore, go to Amazon, and look for "waterproof pouch" in the sporting goods sections. Lots of good solutions, small and larger, wear around waist or hang from neck or wrist, specialized ones as for phones, or more generic. Make sure to read the reviews and pick one without a large number of reviews that mention 'leaking'.

First, take as little as possible with you. Are you diving from a boat or shore? If a boat, you should be able to leave things on the boat. If from shore, go to Amazon, and look for "waterproof pouch" in the sporting goods sections. Lots of good solutions, small and larger, wear around waist or hang from neck or wrist, specialized ones as for phones, or more generic. Make sure to read the reviews and pick one without a large number of reviews that mention 'leaking'.

Thank you ... that just may be the key ... I meant to say snorkel, not scuba, so it will be from the beach :)

If you are diving from a boat, there is no issue. If you are doing a beach dive usually the dive shop has lockers for you. The real key is not to take anything to the beach that you either can't take in the water with you or don't care about. No one is going to take your towel or T shirt. If your camera can't dive with you leave it on the ship. Money, CC's and ship cards can all get wet. Leave your phone on the ship.

Gotcha ... thank you! Waterproof camera ... just added to our packing list :)

Plenty of snorkel tours are off of boats too. I've always just left my things on the boat.

For shore, we don't take anything really valuable. I have a waterproof camera, so that helps, as does the fact that my husband doesn't usually swim. If we both do, then he puts any money, credit cards, etc. in the pocket of his swim trunks. All can get wet, but a dry bag or even a zip back would help.

Beach towels, sandals, cover-up or tees; those things just stay on our chair.

We are planning our 5th cruise in February. This will be the first time I will join my husband in the water for snorkel. What do you do with your stuff when you are in the water so it doesn't get taken?

Look on Amazon for a waterproof water wallet.

We have been going to beaches for 40 yrs and just use commonsense to decide if we can leave our stuff covered and out of view or not. Checking out our neighbors and getting a sense of security by their keeping an eye out for us while we swim. We have never been ripped off.

The dive boats are pretty secure and usually have waterproof bags to place your things in for protection .. They depend on happy divers for their income and that keeps them honest.

Edited by JMorris271