Palancar Reef vs Money bar

aprilsp88

Hi,

If I want to do some snorkeling, which site is better? Palancar or Money bar? I see that Palancar is quite deep, so I wonder if I can see much without diving? Palancar is supposed to be the 2nd best reef in the world?

Thanks,

April

If you're inquiring about the reef, Palancar is off shore snorkeling and very good.

If you're inquiring about the beach, Playa Palancar, you will have to go out a bit from shore to get decent snorkeling where the reef comes closer to the island.

Money Bar is shore snorkeling and good too. You'll see snorkel excursion boats anchored off Money Bar as one of their stops.

Taxi to the Money Bar will be about $11-12 each way, but no real beach - you enter the water via steps.

Taxi to Playa Palancar will be about $25 each way, with a nice beach and snorkeling off shore.

Taxi fares cover up to 4 sharing the same cab, so pair up with others from your roll call ;)

Taxi to the Money Bar will be about $11-12 each way, but no real beach - you enter the water via steps.

Taxi to Playa Palancar will be about $25 each way, with a nice beach and snorkeling off shore.

Taxi fares cover up to 4 sharing the same cab, so pair up with others from your roll call ;)

Palancar beach and Palancar reef are not the same thing. Palancar reef is over a mile off shore and can only be reached from from a boat. As a scuba diver who frequents Cozumel, it is one of the most amazing reefs in the Caribbean. But it is too deep for snorkeling if you want to see anything more than a blur of lush coral. Shallowest area I have ever see when diving there is maybe 45'. The reef is over 3 miles long and runs parallel to the island, with a wall dropping down thousands of feet. It is amazing, and I have lots of videos and photos from scuba diving there, but it isn't a reef for snorkeling, even if you take a boat out there.

robin

Palancar beach and Palancar reef are not the same thing. Palancar reef is over a mile off shore and can only be reached from from a boat. As a scuba diver who frequents Cozumel, it is one of the most amazing reefs in the Caribbean. But it is too deep for snorkeling if you want to see anything more than a blur of lush coral. Shallowest area I have ever see when diving there is maybe 45'. The reef is over 3 miles long and runs parallel to the island, with a wall dropping down thousands of feet. It is amazing, and I have lots of videos and photos from scuba diving there, but it isn't a reef for snorkeling, even if you take a boat out there.

robin

Robin,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. This is exactly what I'm looking for. :)

April

If you're inquiring about the reef, Palancar is off shore snorkeling and very good.

If you're inquiring about the beach, Playa Palancar, you will have to go out a bit from shore to get decent snorkeling where the reef comes closer to the island.

Money Bar is shore snorkeling and good too. You'll see snorkel excursion boats anchored off Money Bar as one of their stops.

I am inquiring about the snorkeling, although beach is a plus. Didn't know excursions go to money bar, as it's just too easy from the cruise ship.

Thanks,

April

John,

Thanks for the comparison. Seems if I want to get both beach and snorkeling, I have to go to Palancar.

April

I am inquiring about the snorkeling, although beach is a plus. Didn't know excursions go to money bar, as it's just too easy from the cruise ship.

Thanks,

April

There are off shore snorkeling excursions that often stop off of Money Bar, but don't' go to the Money Bar beach/club per se. But you'll need to look up the vendors for these excursions and see which reef sites they go to. As AQR has said the reefs are good but the water level is deep.

John,

Thanks for the comparison. Seems if I want to get both beach and snorkeling, I have to go to Palancar.

April

Yup! No beach at MB, just a sandy area for sunning & relaxing, plus lots of lounge chairs and tables - but it is close, easy to do, and with no admission fee (we always order snacks and drinks) you could stop here for an hour or two of snorkeling before heading to another close pay as you go beach club like Paradise Beach.

• 5 months later...