Anyone flown on a Embraer 145?

BaileyandBella

I am flying from LAX to Seattle and Delta has a good price with this, it only seats 50 people. It says it's through "Express Jet"??

Anyone flown on one?

Embraer jets are faster than regular jets. The only problem is carry-on suitcases won't fit in the overhead bins. (carry-on soft bags should fit.) Most airlines will allow you check those in planeside and retrieve them when you land. I don't mind flying them at all. (It's the planes that seat 10 people I'm scared of.)

The planes themselves are fine.

Just a heads up-due to weight restrictions, heavy suitcases are often pulled off the small jets. So your luggage may not fly on the same plane as you. They will stick it on a later, lighter flight.

Commuter planes (small jets) that fly full often leave luggage behind.

eeeek, the possibility of not getting our luggage is scary. :(

Just "gate" check your baggage. Depending on the airport you walk to the door of the plane, Had the bag handler your bag and watch as he puts it on the plane. Nothing to worry about.

Just "gate" check your baggage. Depending on the airport you walk to the door of the plane, Had the bag handler your bag and watch as he puts it on the plane. Nothing to worry about.

You can't drag "cruise luggage" (large suitcases) to the door of the plane. You can gate check your carryon/roller, but not your large suitcases. And I believe the OP is going on an Alaska cruise, so probably lots of luggage.

You can't drag "cruise luggage" (large suitcases) to the door of the plane. You can gate check your carryon/roller, but not your large suitcases. And I believe the OP is going on an Alaska cruise, so probably lots of luggage.

Guess it depends on size of luggage. I have a decent size roll-away and always take it onboard or gate check it.

I wouldnt really about it either way tho. We dont have any more bags lost/left behind on express then we do on mainline jets.

The planes themselves are fine.

Just a heads up-due to weight restrictions, heavy suitcases are often pulled off the small jets. So your luggage may not fly on the same plane as you. They will stick it on a later, lighter flight.

Commuter planes (small jets) that fly full often leave luggage behind.

This can definitely be true. And if you get a day or two before you fly where flights are being cancelled, they'll fly the things full, and leave a lot of luggage behind.

(We ran into this on a Canadair plane, where apparently normal "full" passenger load is 40 passengers (on a 50 passenger plane). They filled the plane, and we had a lot of people that ended up without luggage on the other end. (3 out 4 of our bags didn't make it, and it wasn't a time constraint on baggage transfer). Of course, I've flown them without trouble at times too.)

Also consider this as a potential problem if the OP is flying in on the day of embarkation: if the checked luggage is "bumped" it may not make it to Seattle the same day!

That happened to us when we flew to the port on a commuter plane!

Luckily, we had flown in a day prior to embarkation and we received our checked luggage around 4am on the morning of embakation!

It says it's through "Express Jet"??
If you're still wondering about this, it sounds like ExpressJet will be the airline that is actually operating the flight, probably under the Delta Connection brand. It's basically a franchisee - this is now a very common arrangement for regional flights on routes where the mainline operation could not operate profitably.
Embraer jets are faster than regular jets.
I don't think this is the case. A typical cruise speed for a 737, for example is Mach 0.785 - which is faster than the Embraer 145's maximum speed (M0.78).

However, the smaller aircraft can be faster in one sense: They tend to take rather less time to board and disembark. So the overall journey time can be shorter with a small aircraft, measured from boarding to disembarkation.

Guess it depends on size of luggage. I have a decent size roll-away and always take it onboard or gate check it.

Decent size rollaways onboard an ERJ?! :confused:

My usual carry on is a slightly larger than average, over the shoulder laptop bag. At this size I'm getting close to what you can get onboard an ERJ without squabbling with the flight attendant. If you select seats on the 'A' side you won't be able to fit much more than a purse or small rucksack under the seat. The B/C side has more generous under seat room and I usually put my bag under here. There are no overhead lockers on the 'A' side of the EMB-145s, only smaller than normal jet sized ones just above the B/C side, and they start at row 3 so if you are in the first few rows you'll want to get onboard ASAP.

EMB-145s usually all have the same seating arrangement which means the best seats as 12 A, B and C, the exit row, if you can get them before the frequent flyers nab them.

Also on any of the regional jets with the fuselage mounted engines (i.e. CRJ series, E-135 & E145), try to sit as far forward as possible as the roar of the engines are really annoying in the last couple of rows.

What I do everytime I fly a regional jet is pack a pair of ear plugs just in case I'm stuck sitting in the back right next to the engine. That way when I land I'm not deaf from the roar of the engine.

My usual carry on is a slightly larger than average, over the shoulder laptop bag. At this size I'm getting close to what you can get onboard an ERJ without squabbling with the flight attendant. If you select seats on the 'A' side you won't be able to fit much more than a purse or small rucksack under the seat.
Methinks you've spent too much time on the other side of the pond, mate!

I've been on an ERJ on the A side, fitting the laptop backpack that I always use as a carry-on under the seat. This is the backpack into which (on a trip to Australia) I put all my travel documents and paraphernalia, an SLR camera, a film bag, all my toiletries and two changes of clothes for en route showers. OK, it's a little snug, but it fits.

Are you developing kitchen sink syndrome? ;)

Methinks you've spent too much time on the other side of the pond, mate!

I've been on an ERJ on the A side, fitting the laptop backpack that I always use as a carry-on under the seat. This is the backpack into which (on a trip to Australia) I put all my travel documents and paraphernalia, an SLR camera, a film bag, all my toiletries and two changes of clothes for en route showers. OK, it's a little snug, but it fits.

Are you developing kitchen sink syndrome? ;)

Heck, no! :D I just saw 'rollaboard' and 'ERJ' in the same sentence and thought, 'that ain't gonna work'...not even with the help of Bernard Cribbins ;) Since the 'A' seats on the ERJ are slightly elevated, unlike the B/C ones you have a few inches less space to fit a bag and the overheads don't give you much help either.

As far as the "decent size rollaway" goes, it is perfectly normal to travel on an RJ with that type of suitcase. You just take it with you to the plane and check the bag at the gate ("gate check" the bag). It is taken off and given back to you as soon as you land at your destination. No, you can't fit it in the cabin, but you don't have check the bag in advance like large luggage. Actually, it works very well.

A few bits of information on these...... ExpressJet is one of the regional carriers of Continental's- usually listed on the Continental tickets as ExpressJet dba Continental Express. I fly out of the Continental Newark, NJ hub quite often since that is what I consider my "home base". Since most of the flights I take are short (1-2 hours) I end up on these planes- was actually on one last night and returning on one tomorrow evening.

These planes have the same cruising speed as the 737's (according to the Continental In Flight Magazine) which if I remember correctly is aboout 530 mph. They carry about 50 passengers configured as 1 seat / 2 seats and I believe 19 rows total. Since most of my flights are short trips I do not have any large luggage but the gate check for carry ons is wonderful. Sorry I can not comment on the large pieces of luggage.

If you decide to take this flight the best suggestion is to try to get the bulkhead seats (not sure if it is row 2 or 3 on the B/C side) or the exit row which is row 12 on these planes. If you are on an Embraer 135, they carry about 37 passengers and the exit row is 9.

One additional note on these is that I find it much quicker to get on and off of tehse planes due to the fact that there are less passengers involved- for business travel, they are great.

Hope this info helps you decide. Either way, enjoy your trip.

Jed

Archived