Princess chicken salad recipe

Mary Ellen1

You won't believe this! I'd requested Princess's recipe for their chicken salad from the International Cafe several times (through their Facebook page, through their website, etc.). Well the other day, on a whim, I asked for it again through their "Contact Us" form on their website. AND HERE IT IS!!!!! YAY! THANK YOU PRINCESS!!!!!

It definitely has some unusual ingredients that I never would have guessed (coconut milk???). I'm off to the grocery store to get what I need!

Princess Chicken and Cashew Waldorf Salad

2 ½ oz. cashews

2 c. roasted chicken cut in bite-size pieces

1 Granny Smith apple; cored, peeled and chopped

2 celery stalks, sliced diagonally

½ small onion, chopped

⅓ c. mayonnaise

⅓ c. plain yogurt

⅓ c. coconut milk

1 t. Worcestershire sauce

½ t. grated lemon zest

1 pinch grated nutmeg

Salt and white pepper

Preheat oven to 350° F. Place cashews on a dry baking sheet in a single even layer. Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes until cashews are toasted and lightly browned. Remove from oven. Cool completely before adding to salad. Reserve 2 T. cashews for garnish.

Stir together mayonnaise, yogurt and coconut milk in a small bowl. Add Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, and lemon zest and blend well. Add salt and pepper to taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.

In a medium bowl, combine chicken, apple, celery, onion and toasted cashews. Pour the mayonnaise mixture on top and mix well.

Garnish with reserved 2 T. cashews and serve.

You are a miracle worker. I have asked for the recipe, too. We've got the cookbook, but it's not in there (or at least I could never find it.)

This is wonderful, and thank you for sharing. This is one of our very favorite items on the entire Princess Cruise Line menu.

I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow. :D

Thank you for sharing this. When I boarded the golden for Hawaii, I ran right down to the International Cafe to have this chicken salad, I had heard so much about. To my surprise it was a true salad, not the salad sandwich I ASSUMED it was going to be. I hadn't even considered a salad made of chicken and then not served on bread. It was good.....and I can see it having the ingredients you indicate. It was real creamy in texture and didn't seem like it had mayonnaise as the only binder.

I know, isn't this great? I can't believe they sent it to me. And I'd seen so many folks asking for it on here that I thought I'd share. Makes me want to book another Princess cruise!!!

The dressing is basically equal amounts of mayo, yogurt & coconut milk. Very interesting... Will post back with how it turned out. But it won't be the same without the ambiance of the International Cafe and one of their specialty coffees as a beverage!!

:)

Okay, now I'm a little freaked out:eek:! I've had this chicken salad on two different ships and it never had apples in it. I hate it when someone ruins good chicken salad with either apples or grapes:(! Is this something new they're doing? Is it like this on the Golden? I want to know before I board so I won't be disappointed!

Okay, now I'm a little freaked out:eek:! I've had this chicken salad on two different ships and it never had apples in it. I hate it when someone ruins good chicken salad with either apples or grapes:(! Is this something new they're doing? Is it like this on the Golden? I want to know before I board so I won't be disappointed!

We were on the Golden a few months ago and the salad recipe sounds exactly like what was served at the International Cafe. It definitely had apples and nuts. Personally I found it delicious.

You've probably had regular chicken salad which wouldn't normally have apples in it. But this is the recipe for chicken and cashew waldorf salad. Waldorf salad, by definition, contains apples.

You've probably had regular chicken salad which wouldn't normally have apples in it. But this is the recipe for chicken and cashew waldorf salad. Waldorf salad, by definition, contains apples.

I've never seen the chicken and cashew waldorf at the IC. I'm assuming they wouldn't have two different chicken salads, and that's why I'm worried that they've changed.

I've never seen the chicken and cashew waldorf at the IC. I'm assuming they wouldn't have two different chicken salads, and that's why I'm worried that they've changed.

I remember having this chicken waldorf salad in the dining room during lunch time last week. Sorry I can't remember what they had at IC.

This will become a staple around here. I can hardly wait to surprise my husband at lunch tomorrow! However, he will have to have it on the patio, not one of the princess ships. Thanks for sharing.:D

THANK YOU MARY ELLEN!!! You are my hero! I once asked for a recipe from Piggly Wiggly in South Carolina & to my surprise they gave it to me, it is a BLT pasta salad. If anyone wants it I will post it here.

Jan

Sounds good. I'd love the recipe.

You know, I don't specifically remember the International Cafe chicken salad having apples in it. Cashews, yes, but not sure about the apples. Maybe the chunks were so small you didn't notice them.

I think I need to take another cruise to verify if this is the right chicken salad???

You know, I don't specifically remember the International Cafe chicken salad having apples in it. Cashews, yes, but not sure about the apples. Maybe the chunks were so small you didn't notice them.

I think I need to take another cruise to verify if this is the right chicken salad???

I definitely think another cruise is in order! Believe me, if there had been a hint of any kind of fruit in that chicken salad, I would have known it!:D

Sounds good. I'd love the recipe.

BLT SALAD

2 TO 3 CUPS TRI COLOR ROTINI, COOKED & CHILLED

2 CUPS MAYONAISE

8 -16 OUNCES BACON, COOKED & CUT INTO PIECES

2 (or more) LARGE ROMA TOMATOES CUT INTO 1/2 INCH PIECES

5 OUNCES CHOPPED ROMAINE LETTUCE

MIX INTO THE MAYONAISE TO TASTE: GARLIC POWDER, ONION POWDER, SUGAR,

SALT & A LITTLE VINEGAR TO THIN OUT THE BASE. (SHOULD TASTE SWEET).

COMBINE EVERYTHING EXCEPT LETTUCE & CHILL.

ADD LETTUCE JUST BEFORE SERVING & MIX WELL.

You know, the more I look at that chicken salad recipe, the more I think it's not the one from the International Cafe but maybe from the lunch menu in the dining room. I don't know for sure unless I make it myself but it doesn't seem like it would taste the same as the one I remember. And I agree, I didn't think the IC's had apple (although I could swear it had grapes). This may call for extensive research -- I might have to order that chicken salad every day on my next cruise!

Thanks for sharing this recipe, Mary Ellen. Pretty sure I had this salad on the Star recently. They had some super salads in the Horizon Court on this cruise. I'm having a girlfriend over for lunch for her birthday on Friday and was just starting to peruse recipes on-line, but I don't need to search any further thanks to you! :D

Sandy :)

You know, the more I look at that chicken salad recipe, the more I think it's not the one from the International Cafe but maybe from the lunch menu in the dining room. I don't know for sure unless I make it myself but it doesn't seem like it would taste the same as the one I remember. And I agree, I didn't think the IC's had apple (although I could swear it had grapes). This may call for extensive research -- I might have to order that chicken salad every day on my next cruise!

I actually think it may require two different cruises in order to be absolutely positive!

Archived