Clamshells at HMC?

Beach Mama3

Does anyone have a picture of what these clamshells look like at Half Moom Cay? Thinking of renting one...

thanks!

This isn't the best picture - it's kind of "blurred" since I cropped it to try to get you a good view of the clamshells. This picture was taken of the little church from our ship and there is a row of several clamshells in behind the beach chairs. Maybe someone has a better, close-up picture they can ad.

Hope this helps in the meantime. :)

100_6899A.jpg

We normally get one when we go to HMC, the only problem I have is that they restrict air flow and can get really hot. You get shade, but at a price.

Bring as 6-12 inch ruler with you and prop under the rear, and you'll get some air flow. Anything similar will also work.

Nov. 2008 we didn't book until we got on the ship and they were all sold out. We really needed it that day, it was so hot and sunny. We walked further down and found some shade. My sister held an umbrella open for her 7M baby.

Nov. 2009 we booked 2 clams online. $14 each. Didn't end up needing it since it was cloudy and rainy.

Dec. 2010 we booked 3 clams online a few weeks ago, hoping it will be hot and sunny again like in 2008 instead of cool, cloudy and rainy like in 2009.

Great if you have little kids. Provides some shelter. Like the other posters, it can get really hot and stuffy, no air circulation. I will bring a ruler as suggested.

HAL sends you the "ticket" a day or two before after you've booked.

You take it to the booth when you get off the dock. Give the ticket to the guy and he sets up the clam for you wherever you want it to be.

HMC is very crowded in the front end. As you walk further down, it get less and less people and there are hamacks too.

If you have kids (I'm guessing based on your name), there are 2 little water slides near the dock end where everyone crowds around. There is a nice pirate playground with swings and slides next to the eating area. Secluded but you can find it if you're looking for it. We didn't in 2008 but found it in 2009 before the rain hit. We'll go back to the playground in 2010 after lunch. Good luck and have fun.

To piggyback on OP's question: My DH and I will be traveling with our 6 year old daughte in Dec. 2010. If we rent a clamshell for two of us ($28 total) would we have to pay for her as well to be under it? I know, dumb question, but I am pretty sure at any given time there is only going to be one of us under there because we will be in the water, getting food, at the playground, ect. Besides putting our stuff down when we get there, I don't think all three of us will be under it at once.

To piggyback on OP's question: My DH and I will be traveling with our 6 year old daughte in Dec. 2010. If we rent a clamshell for two of us ($28 total) would we have to pay for her as well to be under it? I know, dumb question, but I am pretty sure at any given time there is only going to be one of us under there because we will be in the water, getting food, at the playground, ect. Besides putting our stuff down when we get there, I don't think all three of us will be under it at once.

You pay by the clamshell, not by the people using it. So you should be fine with just the one. :) And just book one ($14), not one for each of you ($28). I made that mistake and had to cancel one of them! ;)

You pay by the clamshell, not by the people using it. So you should be fine with just the one. :) And just book one ($14), not one for each of you ($28). I made that mistake and had to cancel one of them! ;)

Canadarocks....(or anyone else that knows).. how many people do you think could comfortably fit under one clamshell at a time? its hard to tell if there is seating attached or does the shell fit over a beach/lounge chair? thanks :)

Does anyone have a picture of what these clamshells look like at Half Moom Cay? Thinking of renting one...

thanks!

if you look on the Carnival website you can see the pics by clicking on excursions for HMC you can choose CLAMSHELL rental and see a VERY upclose pic,

420019A.jpg

Canadarocks....(or anyone else that knows).. how many people do you think could comfortably fit under one clamshell at a time? its hard to tell if there is seating attached or does the shell fit over a beach/lounge chair? thanks :)

Here you go:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2126573560100508273HSVvyE

Plenty of room for two adults :)

Archived