Oasis, The Chef's Table with a 3 and 6 year old.

DawnCt

I have to say, when I first sat down this really surprised me, and in fact, I was initially annoyed. A family from Brazil arrived with two little girls, age 3 and 6. We were seated next to the father. Their mother sat next to them and they were accompanied by their grandmother and uncle. We brought our 23 year old son. When we first reserved, I saw one notification, "Must be over 21". Then I saw another, "must be 16" so i wondered how they were seated. Having said that, they were extremely well behaved and when the three year old got bored, she fell asleep. The six year old was not only well behaved, spoke perfect English when spoken to. Her father was an very nice, interesting man. Grandmother and uncle spoke no English and the mother's English was limited.

Why even bother to have rules if you are not going to enforce them??:rolleyes:

That was my thinking too. I feel that we "lucked out" in that they were so well behaved and we enjoyed talking to the father. It could have been a disaster however and after spending $225 for not just the meal but the experience, I would have FLOWN to guest services to have it removed. Luckily everything was wonderful.

OMG! When I read this I am just hoping RCCL will not try to put children at our table as that will be unacceptable. We are booked for Chef Table on Jewel in March and we are so looking forward to this as we missed out on another Chef Table due to the NORO virus on a previous cruise. Thanks for heads up as I will definatly be contacting the Chef to avoid this at our table, no matter how well behaved they are. Who wants to eat with sleeping children.

OMG! When I read this I am just hoping RCCL will not try to put children at our table as that will be unacceptable. We are booked for Chef Table on Jewel in March and we are so looking forward to this as we missed out on another Chef Table due to the NORO virus on a previous cruise. Thanks for heads up as I will definatly be contacting the Chef to avoid this at our table, no matter how well behaved they are. Who wants to eat with sleeping children.

Especially when you are paying so much for a special dinner!

Well, since it has been well known that RCI has not enforced either no shorts (on adults mind you) or no kids under a certain age after 6:30 in Portofino and Chops, I guess it is just the next small step to allow young children at the Chef's Table.

I would be one unhappy camper though. And getting the money back is the least of it. Most people really look forward to Chef's Table as a very special night....... :(

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.It is no holiday for the little ones or Mum and Dad, and as this post shows folks will be unhappy with children in certain venues.

Take the little darlings to Disneyland or let Granma and Grampa spoil them for a week.Thats what my family does.

Especially when you are paying so much for a special dinner!

Well, since it has been well known that RCI has not enforced either no shorts (on adults mind you) or no kids under a certain age after 6:30 in Portofino and Chops, I guess it is just the next small step to allow young children at the Chef's Table.

I would be one unhappy camper though. And getting the money back is the least of it. Most people really look forward to Chef's Table as a very special night....... :(

I was definitely prepared to be an unhappy camper. In fact, I was shocked when they were seated, but even more shocked when they didn't have any negative impact on the evening what so ever. They were absolutely perfect. A sleeping child is out of sight and out of mind and extraordinarily quiet. They ended up leaving before dessert.

I cannot understand why anyone would take small kids on any cruise.It is no holiday for the little ones or Mum and Dad, and as this post shows folks will be unhappy with children in certain venues.

Take the little darlings to Disneyland or let Granma and Grampa spoil them for a week.Thats what my family does.

Grandma came on the cruise!

My thoughts exactly!!! OR, my even better option... I don't have kids!

Just off the Oasis... both in Giovannis table and Chops... kids under 10 allowed to dine

had stern words for the maitre d.... to no avail. They say it's hard to enforece:eek:

in chops one couple got it's money back...after I complained but we were charged...not happy about this non enforcement

CC

PS both couples Brazilian....they got the bucks

Really? My grandsons have traveled since birth - we are cruising in March as a group and as a family - can't wait - however, we know where they should and shouldn't go - no chefs table for them, no specialty restaurants and no consierge lounge. They are very fortunate to be able to travel at their young age and we are very fortunate to all be together.

Edited by LovesCruising

I think cruising is great for kids/family...however, the thing I thought that RCCL did best was to create venues for kids/famlies and specific venues for adults... not so after this cruise .... I was disappointed the rules are not enforced

they enforced them on the Rising Tide Bar...Phew....! Boundaries... we all need to know boundaries

CC

I strongly disagree with you on this one! I think a cruise is an ideal family vacation. Of course certain venues/events like Chef's table are inappropriate but it's not wierd at all to take kids on a cruise. It doesn't appear that RCI agrees with you either as they are now partnering with Dreamworks! :rolleyes:

Edited by Cruisinfrombmore

I have to say, when I first sat down this really surprised me, and in fact, I was initially annoyed. A family from Brazil arrived with two little girls, age 3 and 6. We were seated next to the father. Their mother sat next to them and they were accompanied by their grandmother and uncle. We brought our 23 year old son. When we first reserved, I saw one notification, "Must be over 21". Then I saw another, "must be 16" so i wondered how they were seated. Having said that, they were extremely well behaved and when the three year old got bored, she fell asleep. The six year old was not only well behaved, spoke perfect English when spoken to. Her father was an very nice, interesting man. Grandmother and uncle spoke no English and the mother's English was limited.

Glad you had a great time. I am sure the kids were warned ahead about bad behavior.

Sad so many people assume all kids are misbahaved and should be out of sight...

We have been complimented several times by nearby diners about DD's behavior....and she has dined at the Captain's table, yep the one in the center of the dining room that most can see. She had fun and was well behaved and the others said afterwards they thought she was an excellent choice to join the table.

As long as children are well behaved, how can they ruin your experience?

OP, you responded just as I would, surprised and then pleasantly surprised. Thanks for posting your experience.

As with dining at a large table in the main dining room, I do not like children at our table. Subject matter may not be appropriate for children and I do not like to feel as though our conversation must be censored. Adults want to have adult conversations at times and this would be prohibitive with children at the table. I'm not referring to inappropriate language..just the subject matter. This is why DH and I always request My Time Dining on RCCL.

It is simply not acceptable to have children seated in The Chef's Table. This is a special dining venue which should be for adults only. I'm very disappointed in RCCL to find they are allowing children in this dining venue.

Edited by coffeebean

I feel sorry for those of you who can't understand the joy that children can bring to your life.

children are never as cute as their parents think they are.

just because you love and adore your child does not mean I have to.

I have two kids of my own. but there are times I want to dine without kids- mine or anyone else's.

I have no problem with well behaved kids- the few that are out there. but what mom and dad see as well behaved and what your fellow guests feel is well behaved may be very different.

just saying.......

As long as children are well behaved, how can they ruin your experience?

OP, you responded just as I would, surprised and then pleasantly surprised. Thanks for posting your experience.

I feel sorry for those of you who can't understand the joy that children can bring to your life.

Okay, first of all, being well behaved has nothing to do with having a child at an adult specified activity. A pet can be well behaved but I would not want a pet at Chef's Table either. ;)

Secondly, one does not have to hate children or not understand the joy of children to not want children at an adult activity. In fact, one can dearly love children and still not want them an an adult activity. :)

When RCI advertises and presents an activity as an adult venue then they have the obligation to provide just that to their guests. Period. If RCI is concerned about being family friendly they can either advertise the activity as available to everyone. Or if they do not want to lose the income from those that want an adult dinner, then they could easily designate one night of a 7 night cruise as "family night".

In any case, having a policy and then not adhering to it is just going to make for dissatisfied guests....... :(

Edited by Tranquil Waters