Regent or Oceania??

khuselid

Hello all,

Well, my first questions is why are there SO many choices???

We were focusing on an Oceania cruise from Istanbul to Venice in September. Then, upon further research, came upon a Regent cruise that fits our timeframe a bit better that goes from Athens to Istanbul on their Marina. There is another Regent one from Barcelona to Venice that would also work.

This will be my first trip to Europe. Definitely want the smaller ship experience. These are both October dates and I wonder about the weather in October. Is it better to go in September.

Thoughts, ideas, advice?? It's all to expensive but we are looking for something lovely.

Thanks for you help! Kim

First, you may want to post this question on the Regent and Oceania boards to get the opinions of those who frequent both lines. As you may know, Regent and Oceania are owned by the same company and have quite a few things in common.

We are currently on the Regent Mariner -- one of their two 700 passenger ships. The suite/cabin sizes on Regent are larger than than Oceania. The Voyager and Mariner have all balconies. The Navigator has 80% balconies.

Regent is classified as luxury while Oceania is categorized as "premium" (however, their new ship, the Marina definitely sounds like luxury).

Besides for the suite sizes, the biggest difference is that Regent is all-inclusive -- even including most excursions, a one night stay at a hotel the night prior to embarkation, airfare, drinks. . almost everything you can think of (except internet). Oceania does offer many cruises with included air, but, is not considered all-inclusive. While Regent prices may seem very high, if you deduct what you will be paying for drinks, excursions, tips, etc. on Oceania, the price difference is not much.

Do hope you post on the Regent & Oceania boards.

First of all, since you are posting on the luxury board I will tell you that although Oceania is an excellent line and in many ways superior to Regent, it is not a luxury line. Regent is. You can get a wonderful experience on Oceania, especially on the brand new Marina, for less money by booking verandah cabins which are smaller. If you book a penthouse on Oceania which is roughly equivalent in size to a Regent suite (larger on the Marina), you will pay in the same neighborhood. On Regent though all drinks, tips and shore excursions are included.

Food and service will be equally food on both lines. You say you want the smaller ship experience. I assume you are speaking relative to the large mass market lines since Regent Voyager and Mariner are both 50000 tons and Oceania's ships are 31000 while the new Marina is 68000. To get really small ships you need to look at Seabourn, Silversea and Sea Dream.

I would also let itinerary guide you in this case. If one attracts you more than the others go for it. The weather is more certain in September than October, but like sea conditions, there are no guarantees.

Bottom line is I think you'd have a great time on either Regent or Oceania.

• 2 weeks later...

Regent to be superior in many ways,,,esp..cabin size,tubs in bathroom,complete room service menu,,esp..at breakfast,,,Oceania only offers continental ....but biggest deal is all inclusive,,,really adds up for drinks,excursions,etc....our balance at end of Regent cruise was 0,,,,great to know ahead of time...found food good on both,entertainment similar,service a little more attentive on Regent...but,,all in all,,both good lines ,,agree with above posters,,,we go by itinerary,length of time,etc....then ship..for instance,,,going on Seabourn,,,,to Norway,,,because of those factors...;)

If you book a PH or above on O the room service menus are as complete as Regent and you can order in form the specialty restaurants. And the new O ship, Marina, looks to be spectacular. It's a matter of how important the all inclusive factor is.

Archived