What a fool I am!!

My BIGGEST regret of our cruise to the UK on Oriana was this!!

We spent a really nice day in Hong Kong - and caught a public bus across to Stanley on the southern side of Hong Kong Island. Had a lunch on the waterfront. I had planned to lash out a little in HK on a flash lunch or dinner - but, as had happened the last time we were in HK, we found the restaurants there a little difficult to "navigate" (unlike the ones in Singapore which we find easy, everything in English :D)

But anyway, we had a good time and felt well pleased with ourselves at the end of the day - went for a bit of a walk up Nathan Road, but it was VERY busy , so we came back to the ship a little earlier than expected. Went for a bit of a walk around the upper decks to look at the city lights - AND WHAT DID I FIND!!!!???

THIS!!!

S6303120.jpg?t=1301867599

S6303119.jpg?t=1301867640

A half dozen couples only - having a steak and seafood dinner on the back of Oriana - overlooking the lights of Hong Kong Island from the ships position at Ocean Terminal. NOBODY ELSE ! - just these half dozen!!

I knew about the rear deck grill ( and went to it later in the week and had the most beautiful "surf and turf" I have ever had) - BUT WHY OH WHY , did I not realise that the grill would be open on the night we were in Harbour?? :mad:

SOB!! :(:(

Barry

Wonder what the red rope divider is for...

I presume the divider defines the Grill area.

Only tables on one side have tablecloths and candles on the them, the rest would be the normal buffet area.

Yes - the back deck was divided off to provide the "Terrace grill" area. The tables elsewhere on the back deck weren't used much by diners from the buffet - mostly used for people to chat and watch the view/enjoy a drink from the terrace bar.

We did in fact enjoy the view - but it would have been nice to eat out there. The service and food in the Terrace grill was first class- I have never had a piece of steak so good and the lobster was fresher that what was normally served in the Main dining room. I suspect it may have come on fresh in HK - because we had some whitebait the next night and it also was beautiful.

These photos are another illustration of why I won't sail anymore (after Arcadia) on modern ships that have rear facing balcony cabins.

Barry

These photos are another illustration of why I won't sail anymore (after Arcadia) on modern ships that have rear facing balcony cabins.

Barry

I'm with you there, Barry. There's nothing so relaxing as sitting on the back decks, maybe having a drink, while watching the wake, with the occasional albatross swooping back and forth. Mmmm......... ;)

I guess know you know but at least we all know too....thanks. p.s. perhaps you could have dropped in for dessert?

What a great view...we had an outside dining experience on the Dawn Princess' Sterling Grill one balmy night it was lovely.

Great photo Barry, have not tried the Grill when we were on the Oriana had a lot of rough weather but it looks idyllic in Hong Kong, I think the Harbour at night is the best thing about HK, Looking forward to more of your photos Barry,

Sheila

Archived