Carnival Sprit Extra Berths

A quick check of the deck plans for the Sprit pre "Australianization" and after has revealed an amazing fact:

Australians take up less space than the average American.

On the main deck alone, at least eight of the previously 3 berth cabins ,One King & one single sofabed, (Carnival's terms not mine) have been turned into "friendly fours" by the magicians of Carnival Australia.

This follows in the footsteps of the parent company that added at least 400 extra berths to the Pacific Sun and quite a few extra on every cruise ship that has entered into service under the P&O Australia banner.

Yes, the "pack em in and charges em heaps" regime is alive and well.

Paul

Paul

You weren't expecting anything else for these "Carpetbaggers" - were you?? :) They are here now for one reason only - they can smell money. When that money turns out to be not as plentiful as they are hoping , they will disappear as fast as they have appeared. You will get no contribution or commitment from them towards the long term future of Aussie cruising.

I'm sure you know what a carpetbagger is? :)

Barry

Paul

You weren't expecting anything else for these "Carpetbaggers" - were you?? :) They are here now for one reason only - they can smell money. When that money turns out to be not as plentiful as they are hoping , they will disappear as fast as they have appeared. You will get no contribution or commitment from them towards the long term future of Aussie cruising.

I'm sure you know what a carpetbagger is? :)

Barry

Sadly,

I don't think any particular cruise line has a contribution or commitment to the long term future of the Australian cruise industry, do you know any?

I think they assume that we know no better. I live in hope that the travel agents and the cruise lines read all the posts on here and come to the realisation that they cannot keep taking the mickey.

In fact I am not really sure what a carpet bagger is, why would you assume that I would?

Paul

Hey Sludger you have found 8 extra berths so far, let's know the total tally when you have finished counting, that would be interesting to compare with the total berths published when the ship was built.:)

I am sure that your mate Thied would be pleased to provide you with a definition of a 'Carpetbagger'.

What a bunch of whining complainers!!!

So some cabins have 4 beds, so what! isn't that better for families? they don't have to buy TWO cabins - with 2 adults and 2 children you can save a lot of money by taking ONE cabin.

Carpetbaggers?????? so Carnival is just coming downunder to rip off Aussies.................unbelievable. Nothing has been announced yet and your complaining already.

We were on the Rhapsody in an outside cabin, all of the rooms have a double and two beds that pull out from the ceiling. Most cabins have room for 4.

With Carnival coming to Aus it adds another choice and with choice the price of cruising comes down.

If you don't like it then don't cruise!!

What a bunch of whining complainers!!!

So some cabins have 4 beds, so what! isn't that better for families? they don't have to buy TWO cabins - with 2 adults and 2 children you can save a lot of money by taking ONE cabin.

Carpetbaggers?????? so Carnival is just coming downunder to rip off Aussies.................unbelievable. Nothing has been announced yet and your complaining already.

We were on the Rhapsody in an outside cabin, all of the rooms have a double and two beds that pull out from the ceiling. Most cabins have room for 4.

With Carnival coming to Aus it adds another choice and with choice the price of cruising comes down.

If you don't like it then don't cruise!!

Hi Jaybird1, sorry if I came across like that but my comment was made with my tongue firmly in my cheek:).

Sludger has been posting for some time about his alleged conspiracy theory whereby he claims that Carnival increases the passenger capacity on it's ships that come to Australia by converting as many cabins as possible to accommodate 4. It just amused me that he was actually counting them on the Carnival Spirit deck plans:rolleyes:. I think that he will find any increase in capacity minor and just catering for our market.

I personally think that the ship looks great and will suit families particularly well, we would be looking for a 4 berth cabin ourselves if we choose to try a cruise on her. She already has large roomy cabins and even some cabins that interconnect which should be very popular with larger families.:)

Just stating facts, now it looks like we can't say anything against Carnival, can we?

The Carnival Spirit is marketed in the US with a capacity of approx 2100, here it is being marketed at over 2600. This is because instead of selling the cabins as they do in the US for two people and maybe an extra one (in the 3 berth cabins) or two kids (in the 175 4 berth cabins). P&O and now Carnival Australia actually try and sell the 4 berth cabins as "friendly fours". (Their words not mine).

This causes most of the ships at peak times to be chockers, we sailed on the Pacific Sun, there were over 2000 pax on board and over 500 kids and groups of young people all jammed in these 4 person cabins. This on a ship that is 47000 tons. It was so crowded.

It will be interesting to see how many they pack on the Spirit at peak times.

Facts only facts, do not get paranoid I am just trying to help.

And as for Thied, why do you have a pop at him has he said something against P&O?

Paul

Oh noes!1! 8 x 4 berth cabins, upgraded from 8 x 3 berth.

Even _if_ that means an overall increase in capacity of - 8 people - which is by no means certain, it may just mean more flexibility with the same maximum as at present - an extra 8 passengers would make less than a 0.4% difference in passenger numbers.

The cruise will be rooned I tell yas!

Oh, and regarding the commentary on how it is marketed, that suggests to me that it will be less crowded here. It's been discussed before that the capacity doesn't appear to be changing, so it is only how it is marketed. If it's marketing there with less than it's being marketed here, that suggests fewer people will want to go here for fear of it being crowded. I really can't imagine it would _encourage_ people to come on board (Is there really a big group of passengers who look at the brochure and go, No, I'm not going to sail on this ship because it only has 2100 passengers. But that ship! It has 2600 passengers so I'll have to sail on her...???" :D.

Practically how they're marketing how many pax are permitted makes little difference.

Hey Sludger you have found 8 extra berths so far, let's know the total tally when you have finished counting, that would be interesting to compare with the total berths published when the ship was built.:)

I am sure that your mate Thied would be pleased to provide you with a definition of a 'Carpetbagger'.

you could all ways google it your self if you do not what it means.

Love Thied.

The point of the thread was to point out that where possible P&O/Carnival will change the 3 berth cabins on this ship to 4 berth cabins, now I know this happens and now so does anyone else that reads this and has a quick check for themselves.

If anyone has time on their hands they can go through all the decks and count all the extra potential pax.

I certainly haven't but the clever ones amongst you, maybe the ones that can work out percentages might be able to tell us. I bet it will be a lot more than 0.4%.

There were 50 extra beds added on the Pacific Jewel when it was refitted. All of these people have to eat and sit somewhere.

Really I cannot understand why you lot get so wound up, the name of the site is CRUISE CRITIC and that is exactly what is happening, we can certainly do without the nastiness please. It's almost as if sometimes that some people have a vested interest in keeping the status quo, accepting everything and criticising nothing.

Paul

you could all ways google it your self if you do not what it means.

Love Thied.

I've googled it and this is what I got from the Urban Dictionary that well known source of information:

carpet bagger

A married woman who routinely cruises gay clubs and hangouts for discreet female sexual encounters. She is typically unaware of pervasive subculture protocols.

I still don't understand but maybe I will once I've Googled: pervasive subculture protocols.

Maybe someone on the forum could help.

Paul

In United States history, "carpetbaggers" was a pejorative term Southerners gave to Northerners (also referred to as Yankees) who moved to the South during the Reconstruction era, between 1865 and 1877.

The term referred to the observation that these newcomers tended to carry "carpet bags," a common form of luggage at the time (sturdy and made from recycled carpet). It was used as a derogatory term, suggesting opportunism and exploitation by the outsiders.

In United States history, "carpetbaggers" was a pejorative term Southerners gave to Northerners (also referred to as Yankees) who moved to the South during the Reconstruction era, between 1865 and 1877.

The term referred to the observation that these newcomers tended to carry "carpet bags," a common form of luggage at the time (sturdy and made from recycled carpet). It was used as a derogatory term, suggesting opportunism and exploitation by the outsiders.

I'm still not sure why you thought that I would know what one is, I have never studied the civil war.

Paul

A quick check of the deck plans for the Sprit pre "Australianization" and after has revealed an amazing fact:

Australians take up less space than the average American.

Yes, the "pack em in and charges em heaps" regime is alive and well.

Paul

We had a thread on this ages ago, when it was first announced

that Carnival Spririt was coming down here.

Here again are the Ships Facts

(and this is from when she was launched)

Carnival Spirit

Owner/Operator: Carnival Cruise Lines

Year built: 2001

Rebuilt: -

Builder: Kvaerner MASA Yards, Helsinki, Finland

Former names: -

Gross Tonnage 85,920

Length: 292.5 m (959.6 ft)

Beam: 32.2 m (105.6 ft)

Passengers (normal): 2,142

Passengers (maximum): 2,680

Crew: 902

Service speed: 22.0 kn

Most of the new ships coming out these days are designed ,when built ,to take extra passengers, ie children in a cabin, unlike when Dawn and Jewel arrived and they did not have the extra capacity, so Carnival Australia added it. Unfortunatetly those ships were not designed to handle the extra numbers in Dining Rooms, Buffets , Show Lounges, or to cope with the extra pressure on the sewerage systems etc.

The newer ships are.

Don't panic....No one is being ripped off.:D

Carnival Spirit

Gross Tonnage 85,920

Most of the new ships coming out these days are designed ,when built ,to take extra passengers, ie children in a cabin, unlike when Dawn and Jewel arrived and they did not have the extra capacity, so Carnival Australia added it. Unfortunatetly those ships were not designed to handle the extra numbers in Dining Rooms, Buffets , Show Lounges, or to cope with the extra pressure on the sewerage systems etc.

The newer ships are.

Hi David

It's really about how the ships are marketed, it would be interesting to find out how many times the Spirit went out anywhere near the 2600 maximum in the US. I bet not many.

Now if they have turned every 3 berth into a 4 berth, this ship could be sailing in peak times with a lot more pax than 2600.

I don't mean to upset anyone but I just want it brought to people's attention that this is happening, and more importantly make it known to the cruise lines that we know it is happening.

I must agree with you though that there is a massive difference between putting over 2000 people on the Pacific Sun (47000 tons) to having 2600 plus on the Spirit at 85000 tons.

It hasn't yet put me off trying it though and at the moment it's on the to do list. I shall just pick my timing carefully and avoid peak times.

Paul

I've got an idea, why don't we move the Carpet bagger debate to the G'Day mate forum.

We might even be able to introduce a "word of the day" to educate us slow learners that haven't grasped all the nuances of the US English.

We might also be able to find out what a pejorative term is.

Still don't know why Barry would think I would know what a carpet bagger was unless he is suggesting someone on this site is one, I can't imagine that though because everyone is so friendly.

Anyway see you on the new "word for the day" thread

Paul

Carnival Spirit

Gross Tonnage 85,920

The newer ships are.

Very true, both that it's been covered above, and been stated before.

Those who want to make out it's some conspiracy might want to actually check past utilisation records instead of just throwing accusations around. They might be surprised to see that average utilisation annually is _always_ more than 100%. Why? This is because rooms are based on twin share but capacity is greater - and they always sell more than that (or what is called normal above).

There's also yet to be any benefit shown from the claim of marketing that a higher number of people are allowed onboard. The only one that comes to mind is catering for the conference/charter crowd, but that's not really a big market here.

Still aint seeing any conspiracy to rip off Australians... :D

I agree, hands up all you conspiracy theory people, lets have facts only on this thread, you are upsetting the other posters.

I've shown you a few facts at the beginning of the thread, ie the 3 bed rooms that always were 3 bed rooms that were not, and never were, included in the 175 4 berth cabins on the US version of the Spirit. These 3 bed rooms are now 4 berth cabins.

Face the facts, Carnival are adding berths to this ship over and above the maximum number of 2680 that were on the US version of the Spirit.

Paul

OK ... I suppose next , you will be telling us they are going to install hammocks on the decks ,

to squeeze more people in....:D

1.1298626396.hammock-on-deck.jpg

Like the passenger who arrived on board

and found there was no cabin for her.

As the staff tried to sort it out they asked ,

"Would you like an inside or outside cabin?'

She replied...

"It looks like rain

so I would prefer an Inside Cabin Thank You".:eek:

Anyone with any doubt about this should go to the Aussie site and pull up the deck plans then go to the US site and do the same.

As you roll your mouse pointer over the cabins it tells you what the capacity of the cabins are. On many cabins these capacities are increased on the Aussie deck plans. I have only checked the main deck I do not have to check further I know this happens.

Do not let the fact that you dislike either me or the way I post comments on here cloud your opinion of what is a factual statement.

SEE FOR YOURSELF Here are the links:

Aussie:

http://www.carnival.com.au/Explore-The-Ship/Spirit.aspx

US:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ships/carnival_spirit/default.aspx?shipCode=SP

FACTS

Paul

I agree, hands up all you conspiracy theory people, lets have facts only on this thread, you are upsetting the other posters.

I've shown you a few facts at the beginning of the thread, ie the 3 bed rooms that always were 3 bed rooms that were not, and never were, included in the 175 4 berth cabins on the US version of the Spirit. These 3 bed rooms are now 4 berth cabins.

Face the facts, Carnival are adding berths to this ship over and above the maximum number of 2680 that were on the US version of the Spirit.

Paul

So what? Don't understand why you're gettin' ya knickers in a knot! :D

Maybe families like to be in the one cabin.

OK ... I suppose next , you will be telling us they are going to install hammocks on the decks ,

1.1298626396.hammock-on-deck.jpg

Like the passenger who arrived on board

and found there was no cabin for her.

As the staff tried to sort it out they asked ,

"Would you like an inside or outside cabin?'

She replied...

"It looks like rain

so I would prefer an Inside Cabin Thank You".:eek:

I dunno David - but I can think of worse things than swinging in a hammock on the back deck of a ship. Mmmmmmmmmm..............

k2474432.jpg

David I like it, at last a bit of humour, I am sure if they could they would!

As I say have a look for yourself:

Aussie:

http://www.carnival.com.au/Explore-The-Ship/Spirit.aspx

US:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/ship...px?shipCode=SP

Paul

Archived