Carnival Sprit Extra Berths

Yes, they will definitely need those cabins rearranged to accommodate the kids - well that 'you beaut' slide is going to attract them, isn't it? :rolleyes:

To quote a travel writer:

Amongst the many new features will be a thrill slide and a splash park. It will have the steepest water slide at sea, with a vertical drop, plus there will be a giant soaking water bucket in the splash park – perfect for the young ones.

They could also have been accommodated in the existing 175 4 person cabins that in the US are specifically for that purpose, we do not need to replace the ONE person sofa bed in the 3 berth rooms with a double for that purpose.

Do you not think that 350 kids is enough? any more and they will not get near the splash park that the "travel writer" mentions.

Paul

I saw a first today, that rather threw me.

The Sunday Times here in NZ came out with an excellent Cruise Supplement in the Travel Section.

It was Wall to Wall cruising.

Usually its just Local cruises, but today, due to the strong dollar I suppose, they featured lots of overseas cruises.

The options are amazing and excellent value.

One that struck my eye , was Disney Cruises.

They have always been know as a more expensive cruise line, but guess what they were advertising for our local market.

All the prices were quoted as ...

Share Quad from....

Never seen that before.

Guess they reckon thats what our local market goes for ,

so lets cash in.;)

Well said, but to be fair to Disney, they have always taken in the fact that most of their guests are families and they allow for 4 persons in most of their cabins. They have the room on the ships.

The problem for the Spirit is that it is not really designed for all their 4 person cabins to be full with 4 people let alone converting all of the 3 person cabins to 4 person cabins.

Disney cruise line is horrendously expensive and I suppose it's their way of softening the blow if they give the price as quads, I can't imagine groups of teenagers wanting to book on Disney like they do on the P&O party boats here.

Paul

Well said, but to be fair to Disney, they have always taken in the fact that most of their guests are families and they allow for 4 persons in most of their cabins. They have the room on the ships.

The problem for the Spirit is that it is not really designed for all their 4 person cabins to be full with 4 people let alone converting all of the 3 person cabins to 4 person cabins.Disney cruise line is horrendously expensive and I suppose it's their way of softening the blow if they give the price as quads, I can't imagine groups of teenagers wanting to book on Disney like they do on the P&O party boats here.Paul

I agree. They are catering to Gandad and Nana taking the kids for a cruise.

Thats what the "Bush" Family do...in the Presidential Suite of course.:D

4 person cabins are usually the first to sell out, for obvious reasons - they cater for both twins and quads. Having more just enables flexibility and choice for passengers, and avoids the bad situation for passengers when there's heaps of space on the ship, but no availability in the larger cabins.

I've just got some information that is good news for us cruisers but bad news for Carnival, although they already know.

There is only room in the lifeboats for 3610 souls. They have to allow for the crew (presently 910).

So unless they do a Titanic or change the lifeboats in the Australianization refit there is a limit to the amount of extra beds they can install.

Mind you they could always sack a few crew, perhaps that's the plan I wouldn't have thought so though with all those extra beds to make up.

Sorry if this comes across the wrong way for a few of you who don't see the funny side for one reason or another (maybe your interests don't allow it), but I do find it humorous.

Carnival/P&O, (same company really aren't they?), announce another NEW superliner then start adding beds just like they have on every other ship that has come here, it's like a train travelling down the tunnel, only one outcome.

Paul

I have received some information about cruise numbers from a Carnival shareholder.

In their yearly report it states that Carnival average about 104% on all sailings.

So doing the maths again this is:

2124 x 1.04 = 2208 wtp ratio of 39

At peak times he stated that it may reach 120%

2124 x 1.20 = 2548 wtp ratio of 34

It is very rarely more than the 120%

Carnival Australia will fill this ship to it's capacity of 2680 whenever possible because they will have a total of berths that far excedes this number after the refit .

The can only legally though have a total of crew & guests of 3610 as stated previously so that's a good thing.

This will bring the wtp ratio down to 32, which reduces the space for each passenger by nearly 19% from it's original designed capacity, Don't forget apart from the space, with it reduces the available seats etc.

The difference is, as also stated previously, the way the two entities market the cruises.

Carnival in the U.S. think of anything over the 2124 as a bonus.

Whereas Carnival / P&O Australia will try and fill the ship to the gunnels and as proved in earlier threads, charge more than the overseas going rate for a cabin.

Herein lies the issue for cruisers:

Do you pick a cruise line that is essentially "local" that will have ships here all year round or do you go with a cruise line that doesn't muck about rearranging the rooms to get more pax on board.

Make no mistake the missing space on the Spirit will make a huge difference to most people's perception of the spaciousness and enjoyability of the ship.

The Sprit looks like a wonderful ship, 10 years old but still current, my advice would be to go on this ship outside school and uni holiday periods and then it will be great.

Paul

There isn't any issue keeping the same number of life boat spaces since it hasn't been shown that there will be any increase in extra berths yet. Some cabins may get extra spaces because other cabins are closed or shrink, or it just allows extra capacity overall but a not a change in the rated number of pax.

So the rant against Carnival is all for nought!

I'm pleased to see you finally checked that it's normal for Carnival to sail above twin share capacity. That means what it says, that it's quite normal for them to be above the twin-share rating- and, no it's not a bonus. It'd be viewed the same as any business which had less passengers than normal if that figure went to 1 or below.

So, to summarise, we've got the same passenger capacity as they always had, and more flexibility for the different passengers who want to come onboard. Looking good...

P&O Party boats!!!!!:p:D:):confused::confused::confused:

I have been on 7 P&O AUS cruises - and all of them were FAR from being "Party boats" - more like "old folk's homes!" (with me as one of the old folks.)

Peak times are essentially school holidays times - when the ships have an unusually large number of schoolchildren and adults of breeding age. This can be noisy and chaotic - but hardly the "Fun boats" of old.

The only cruises that could qualify as "party boats" might be the 2 /3 nighters to nowhere - and there aren't many of them.

Barry

There isn't any issue keeping the same number of life boat spaces since it hasn't been shown that there will be any increase in extra berths yet. Some cabins may get extra spaces because other cabins are closed or shrink, or it just allows extra capacity overall but a not a change in the rated number of pax.

So the rant against Carnival is all for nought!

I'm pleased to see you finally checked that it's normal for Carnival to sail above twin share capacity. That means what it says, that it's quite normal for them to be above the twin-share rating- and, no it's not a bonus. It'd be viewed the same as any business which had less passengers than normal if that figure went to 1 or below.

So, to summarise, we've got the same passenger capacity as they always had, and more flexibility for the different passengers who want to come onboard. Looking good...

Please don't feel obliged to defend P&O/Carnival just because you might have a personal problem with me,

You know what you have written here is a load, and if I said the sea was blue you would say it was yellow.

I would like to get upset and make you happy but to be honest it amuses me.

I will wait whilst holding back the laughter for your next promo for P&O .

Paul

Thanks, but I didn't feel any obligation to begin with.

However, if you put some points up for discussion, I'll call you on it if it doesn't add up. To date, it doesn't!

As for the comment about making me happy, your claim is far from the truth. As said, I was happy that you're actually checking some facts now (about average load factors) :-) Now if you did some actual checking of all cabins instead of just generalising, we'd have some actual facts to go off... (And maybe it would actually support your position, and maybe it wouldn't, but for now it's just random speculation made out to be groundbreaking.)

well some of you will not be convinced until you see it so we might just leave it.

The first time this overcrowding on the Spirit will rear it's head is probably not going to be until Christmas 2012, I shall wait and see what people say then.

Most of us will all be older and wiser by then.

Paul

Well, you'll be able to swing your cats on the balconies! According to "her in charge" Carnival Spirit offers passengers more onboard space.

From yesterday's Cruise Weekly:

Carnival gets in the Aussie Spirit

Carnival Cruise Lines plans to tone down the American aspects of its first Australian-based ship, Carnival Spirit. ALTHOUGH THE TERMS “THRILL SLIDE” AND“splash park” sound suspiciously American,Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) promises that Carnival Spirit will be “Aussified” by the time it arrives down under next year.

The ship will have the steepest, vertical-drop waterslide at sea and a children’s pool area with a “giant soaking water bucket” – fun features never seen before in Australian cruising. For adults, an open-air deck called Serenity will have a child-free pool, spas, sun lounges and a bar. The company has also revealed that tipping will not be required.

To be home-ported year-round in Sydney from October 2012, Carnival Spirit is CCL’s first ship to be based outside the US. “We decided to come to Australia because we saw a great fit between the Aussies and the Carnival experience,” CCL’s new Australia-based director, Jennifer Vandekreeke told Cruise Weekly.

“What truly made us comfortable about the decision is the Australians’ respect for quality in terms of dining, accommodation and service,” she added.

According to Vandekreeke, Carnival Spirit offers passengers more onboard space.

“Two-thirds of staterooms have their own balconies so you can experience your own expansive views of the Pacific Ocean,” she said.

The “Aussification” also includes local cuisine, beer and wine, a cruise director from Sydney, Australian comedians in the comedy club, and Australian dollars as the onboard currency.

Adding more people will make this ship a mess. I was on the ship when they announced that it will be deployed in Australia. It had less then 2000 people and there was still a line at the buffet, which I may add is a mess (horrible layout) and has as crap selection of food. So going from less then 2000 to more then 2600 this ship will be a mess. Plus overall its not the best ship. I would say the Pacific Dawn in much better.

Adding more people will make this ship a mess. I was on the ship when they announced that it will be deployed in Australia. It had less then 2000 people and there was still a line at the buffet, which I may add is a mess (horrible layout) and has as crap selection of food. So going from less then 2000 to more then 2600 this ship will be a mess. Plus overall its not the best ship. I would say the Pacific Dawn in much better.

At last we have someone who knows.

Very soon now though this thread will be flooded with irrelevant posts with lots of big pictures and avatars so it will not be noticed at the bottom of the thread.

Most of the posts will be about how people are and whether their cat has died etc.

Good on you for speaking up!!!

Regards,

Paul, (you can call me Sludge if you like.)

Originally Posted by Cruise ship fan:

At last we have someone who knows.

Very soon now though this thread will be flooded with irrelevant posts with lots of big pictures and avatars so it will not be noticed at the bottom of the thread.

Most of the posts will be about how people are and whether their cat has died etc.

Good on you for speaking up!!!

Regards,

Paul, (you can call me Sludge if you like.)

Gawd you lot..care factor for me...lets see...hmmm very little :)..but for those who at least want to laugh at me and hopefully themselves I will continue.

So i have got some guff attached on my tag..wow :D..who hasn't? lol

I may have some stupid questions and my humour is proably not appreciated by most at times, my spelling may be bad my maths slightly better (thanks Sludge for the tips :))..my threads have been banned (Im proud of that :D)...I may not of cruised as much as some of you peoples ..but I have travelled enough to know which way is north and I could get that Viking Long Boat places some of you lot couldn't but hey no ones pertfect especially me lol ..I appreciate any input from anyone..I try to be polite (who have i dissed?)..I join in and am thick skinned..If anyone has a problem be honest..I appreciate that :)..

Finally that cat can run I had to swerve several times before I managed to get it... sorry if it was any of yours I live in the country and it looked like a wild cat too me :rolleyes:..

ohh btw sludge sorry for your thread but I think i's fun..I am supprised that it has had as many views as it has but lol

Well well well, looks like we may not have enough room to swing the cats after all!

Perhaps Carnival will organise to look after them in a cattery on shore to make a bit of room.

It all sounds a little Pacificsunesque to me!

Paul

Attaboy Scurve! :D If we take ourselves too seriously there's no fun in life, eh? I've copped more than anybody on here just for standing up for myself.

Don't give a damn any more.

Reckon I should be given the

The Broad Shoulders Award

lifting%20weight.gif

Hehe, I'm flat out lifting two tins of baked beans. :D

Just making sure everyone gets a chance to read this post.

Paul

Archived