Carnival Sprit Extra Berths

Adding more people will make this ship a mess. I was on the ship when they announced that it will be deployed in Australia. It had less then 2000 people and there was still a line at the buffet, which I may add is a mess (horrible layout) and has as crap selection of food. So going from less then 2000 to more then 2600 this ship will be a mess. Plus overall its not the best ship. I would say the Pacific Dawn in much better.

News for Cruise ship fan, Carnival Spirit already has capacity for 2680 pax, so if it it is regularly sailing with less than 2000 pax, as you state, then we may have our answer to why it's being relocated down here.

At last we have someone who knows.

Very soon now though this thread will be flooded with irrelevant posts with lots of big pictures and avatars so it will not be noticed at the bottom of the thread.

Most of the posts will be about how people are and whether their cat has died etc.

Good on you for speaking up!!!

Regards,

Paul, (you can call me Sludge if you like.)

Hi Sludge, you said...... 'at last someone who knows'..... but I think you mean........ 'at last someone who agrees with me'........

Anyway as you said previously, time will tell how many berths are eventually provided in excess of the designed maximum of 2680.

News for Cruise ship fan, Carnival Spirit already has capacity for 2680 pax, so if it it is regularly sailing with less than 2000 pax, as you state, then we may have our answer to why it's being relocated down here.

Hi Sludge, you said...... 'at last someone who knows'..... but I think you mean........ 'at last someone who agrees with me'........

Anyway as you said previously, time will tell how many berths are eventually provided in excess of the designed maximum of 2680.

It's not that I am glad that they agree with me, It's about taking in other people's views that have cruised on this ship and other lines into account.

It just amazes me that people on the site with limited knowledge of other cruise lines and cruising in general can be so loyal to a brand.

If they could only see through the red mist that descends when it is suggested that the cruise line that they are familiar with may not be doing the right thing with regard to giving us the best cruise experience they could for our money, they would realise that people like myself are in there batting for them as well.

My advice to them would be to experience another cruise line, either here or overseas and they will see the difference.

I personally would love to cruise here with P&O or Carnival, but having paid top dollar to do it twice, once in a smelly old P&O ship that was overcrowded and once in a revamped old P&O ship that was overcrowded, I feel that I can't do it again.

It's a shame because P&O Australia have some of the best staff we have experienced whilst cruising, we also think that there is not much to choose from between them and even P&O UK foodwise, who's food is great and always a highlight on their cruises for us, (I must admit we have only sailed on the Oceana so far)

I visit quite a few of the forums, and like this one do not find myself surrounded by friends a lot of the time, but all jokes aside, whether you believe it or not a ratio of 32:1 which will be what it is on this ship with 2680 pax would not be acceptable in the U.S. or the U.K. as a regular sail out.

Paul

Sludger, you don't understand at all. :confused: You cannot (or will not) grasp the fact that many people do not agree with you and you attack them for this. I have not travelled on the Pacific Sun but know many who really love that old ship and haven't come across the problems you have.

My contemporary experience (below for all to see) has been three cruises on the Pacific Dawn. We have enjoyed them all immensely. The ship has been spotless, the staff great, the food great. Occasionally an item or two of the buffet food can go cold if it sits there for a while. I just wait a little while until they put more out. The only crowding was the buffet on shore days (but if you're smart you pick your time) and once on a seafood buffet on the Lido Deck. We cannot wait for our next cruise on the P Dawn - for various reasons we find it suits our needs. Therefore why should I bag P&O etc?

Cruisers here get annoyed because you and others try to dismiss their experiences saying they don't know any better, NOT BECAUSE they work for P&O or are TAs or other such trumped up accusations.

I guess what I am trying to say is.........you and other posters are free to deride whatever you choose, but don't try to make others feel unworthy.

We should all have some tolerance and respect for others' opinions and feelings - then there wouldn't be so much conflict here.

Oh, and I firmly believe a sense of humour and a few jokes here and there make this forum a pleasant place to be.

OK - off the soapbox now. soapbox.gif

(I just wish I had the wherewithal to try other ships and loooooooooonger cruises! :rolleyes: )

To be home-ported year-round in Sydney from October 2012, Carnival Spirit is CCL’s first ship to be based outside the US. “We decided to come to Australia because we saw a great fit between the Aussies and the Carnival experience,” CCL’s new Australia-based director, Jennifer Vandekreeke told Cruise Weekly.

Interesting to see they make it sound like they decided to come here, when this isn't really the case.

In the latest issue of Ships Monthly magazine there's an article about the huge decline in demand for cruises out of LA since the recession in the US, and combined with an increase in crime in some ports of call in Mexico, the berths on ships are not being filled. As a result several of the cruise lines are moving their ships to somewhere safer, some are going to Florida and Carnival are sending their Spirit to Australia.

Personally, I agree that it will probably be a bit overcrowded, and I'm not a great fan of Carnival ships - too busy, too hideous inside :)

I personally would love to cruise here with P&O or Carnival, but having paid top dollar to do it twice, once in a smelly old P&O ship that was overcrowded and once in a revamped old P&O ship that was overcrowded, I feel that I can't do it again.

It's a shame because P&O Australia have some of the best staff we have experienced whilst cruising, we also think that there is not much to choose from between them and even P&O UK foodwise, who's food is great and always a highlight on their cruises for us, (I must admit we have only sailed on the Oceana so far)

Paul

Hi Sludger,

Perhaps you should try Pearl - we found her to be a huge improvement on Pacific Sun, carries less passengers (there were 1651 on our cruise, maximum is 1800) than any other P&O Aus ship and is about 35% bigger in tonnage - and a damn nice ship in my opinion :D

To be fair I am a P&O fan so am keen for anyone to try Pearl, but I really do think they have lifted their game with this ship. And our cruise was one of the cheapest we have done, too.

Hi all you angry Ants :) lol

Sometimes it just comes down to how long you wish to travel, which ports you wish to visit and deals that are going at the time. Unless you are lucky enough to be retired.

I guess most of us would agree a bad day on a cruise is 100% better than a day at work :)..and a full ship will always be more hectic than one not at full capacity.

My next cruise will be with P&O and I have not cruised with them before but I can assure you I will be having a good time and any problems that I encounter I will work around in one way or the other..I am actually looking forward to seeing the differance between an American cruise and a Australian based cruise.and differance between P&O and Royal Caribbean.

Intresting topic about Mexico being now being judged as having unsafe ports...I always felt safe there..but that was while back and it has got worse there obviously. My first cruise I actually felt safer in Mexico than in Miami..personal experiences I guess. If you look at the link below most of the towns mention are not frequented by cruise ships. I can imagine the Mexican Government would place high on keeping these port cities relitavely safe.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/mexico

But I guess bad news travels fast. Hence the cruise lines react on customer concerns.

On the bright side we get to have another ship here for a while. :)

Sludger, you don't understand at all. :confused: You cannot (or will not) grasp the fact that many people do not agree with you and you attack them for this. I have not travelled on the Pacific Sun but know many who really love that old ship and haven't come across the problems you have.

My contemporary experience (below for all to see) has been three cruises on the Pacific Dawn. We have enjoyed them all immensely. The ship has been spotless, the staff great, the food great. Occasionally an item or two of the buffet food can go cold if it sits there for a while. I just wait a little while until they put more out. The only crowding was the buffet on shore days (but if you're smart you pick your time) and once on a seafood buffet on the Lido Deck. We cannot wait for our next cruise on the P Dawn - for various reasons we find it suits our needs. Therefore why should I bag P&O etc?

Cruisers here get annoyed because you and others try to dismiss their experiences saying they don't know any better, NOT BECAUSE they work for P&O or are TAs or other such trumped up accusations.

I guess what I am trying to say is.........you and other posters are free to deride whatever you choose, but don't try to make others feel unworthy.

We should all have some tolerance and respect for others' opinions and feelings - then there wouldn't be so much conflict here.

Oh, and I firmly believe a sense of humour and a few jokes here and there make this forum a pleasant place to be.

OK - off the soapbox now. soapbox.gif

(I just wish I had the wherewithal to try other ships and loooooooooonger cruises! :rolleyes: )

Hi,

Just who am I attacking on this board except the cruise companies?

You will probably never have experienced any overcrowding issues on the cruises you have been on because according to the dates you have listed these have all been OFF PEAK times.

Why do you continually take things personally?

Which cruisers except you and a couple of others get really annoyed and when have I ever dismissed their feelings and said they no no better, and as for feelings of unworthiness, all these things are machinations of the mind.

Obviously other posters and I are not free to deride whatever we choose because we have to put up with posts like this.

My suggestion would be to take a step back and think who would be benefitting if cruise lines didn't max out the cabins, had newer ships and charged less. You and I would benefit!

And if you think it can't happen just wait and see what happens when more competition comes here, we have already had Royal Caribbean here, wonderful ships and they do not go through the "lets add more beds Aussiefication process"

If you don't believe they are better, try a cruise and you will find out, a lot of the time they are cheaper than the equivalent P&O cruises.

Yes I agree everyone should have a sense of humour, some people on this site should try it sometime.

Paul

It's not that I am glad that they agree with me, It's about taking in other people's views that have cruised on this ship and other lines into account.

It just amazes me that people on the site with limited knowledge of other cruise lines and cruising in general can be so loyal to a brand.

If they could only see through the red mist that descends when it is suggested that the cruise line that they are familiar with may not be doing the right thing with regard to giving us the best cruise experience they could for our money, they would realise that people like myself are in there batting for them as well.

My advice to them would be to experience another cruise line, either here or overseas and they will see the difference.

I visit quite a few of the forums, and like this one do not find myself surrounded by friends a lot of the time, but all jokes aside, whether you believe it or not a ratio of 32:1 which will be what it is on this ship with 2680 pax would not be acceptable in the U.S. or the U.K. as a regular sail out.

Paul

OK, so I haven't cruised eminating from an overseas ports, my parents have numerous times ('cause they don't like P&O either:rolleyes:), but I have a young son so for the moment I will choose holidays that don't require long haul flights before we begin (so you will notice I don't comment on things related to cruising OS like using OS TA's etc) and keep to what I know. Believe it or not mate, I don't like crowded places either I am going to take the wait and see approach to any new ship's pax capacity on arrival, I don't care what company owns it!!

I know that prices per night are frequently significantly less on overseas, particularly US sailings than we pay here (I haven't taken advantage of this but I have a brain and can read). However, when you add airfares/baggage limitations/packing and unpacking/having to drag young kids on a long haul flight, I find it's cheaper and easier to travel closer to home. So for our future cruises I will choose local trips, until my son is older (just my personal decision).

The difference is unlike you I really think that any change will be negligible, I could be wrong but as you said time will tell. If you read through some of the posts you will also see well traveled individuals with a similar opinion to me are you going to discount them too? . No red mist here I just have a different opinion.:cool:

OK, so I haven't cruised eminating from an overseas ports, my parents have numerous times ('cause they don't like P&O either:rolleyes:), but I have a young son so for the moment I will choose holidays that don't require long haul flights before we begin (so you will notice I don't comment on things related to cruising OS like using OS TA's etc) and keep to what I know. Believe it or not mate, I don't like crowded places either I am going to take the wait and see approach to any new ship's pax capacity on arrival, I don't care what company owns it!!

I know that prices per night are frequently significantly less on overseas, particularly US sailings than we pay here (I haven't taken advantage of this but I have a brain and can read). However, when you add airfares/baggage limitations/packing and unpacking/having to drag young kids on a long haul flight, I find it's cheaper and easier to travel closer to home. So for our future cruises I will choose local trips, until my son is older (just my personal decision).

The difference is unlike you I really think that any change will be negligible, I could be wrong but as you said time will tell. If you read through some of the posts you will also see well traveled individuals with a similar opinion to me are you going to discount them too? . No red mist here I just have a different opinion.:cool:

Jenny I haven't got a problem with your opinion, this site is called CRUISE CRITIC not CRUISER CRITIC and some people on this site should accept this.

I actually would like people's opinions on what they think this site is for, I do not think it is for singing the praises of any one cruise line. Especially now the forum has a different name.

Paul

Hi Sludger,

Perhaps you should try Pearl - we found her to be a huge improvement on Pacific Sun, carries less passengers (there were 1651 on our cruise, maximum is 1800) than any other P&O Aus ship and is about 35% bigger in tonnage - and a damn nice ship in my opinion :D

To be fair I am a P&O fan so am keen for anyone to try Pearl, but I really do think they have lifted their game with this ship. And our cruise was one of the cheapest we have done, too.

Thanks,

To be honest any of the P&O ships that sail out at 80 odd% of their capacity will probably be OK and the Pearl has had some good reviews.

The only problem for us living in Perth is the fact that we have to generally fly to catch a cruise.

Now given this fact, We can fly up to Asia for cheaper than flying over east and cruise on ships that are better and less crowded than P&O.

We cruised on the New Years cruise on the Legend a couple of years ago and it sailed at less than 100%. It was fantastic it is so roomy.

Paul

Sludger, you really need to lighten up – you’ll be getting an ulcer! :cool: I’m really sorry you cannot understand where I’m coming from. I think most people here understand me, if not my weird sense of humour.

From the time I joined CC, and before you started posting again, we P&O cruisers have been looked down upon as not having the brains to work things out for ourselves. There are plenty of threads to confirm this – most of the posters have got tired of the bickering and left. (That’s why we tend to get a bit touchy when we're called P&O stooges, etc etc.) OK, enough said.

I believe FAIR CRITICISM is GOOD - even against P&O if it is warranted. (Please note and compute!) It’s going on and on and on about everything bad ad infinitum that is very wearing, ………like continual bad news on the TV. I’m not criticising any ships I haven’t cruised on – I just say that I have thoroughly enjoyed my three cruises on the Pacific Dawn. Please respect my honest opinion on that. Maybe the new ships will be better – maybe they won’t. Only time will tell – it’s no use getting uptight about it until we know. Let's agree to disagree.

By the way, I’ve had my fair share of having to take holidays at school times, even after my kids left home, because I worked with the Education Department. Don’t wish to be kid-free sooner than you have to – believe me time goes too fast.

Now, how about chilling out and having one of these. I'm going to - well a glass of vino, anyway foamy-glass-of-beer.jpg

OMG! I'm all 'worded' out! :eek: (Thank God, says everyone.) Where's the fridge, says I.

Sludger, you really need to lighten up – you’ll be getting an ulcer! :cool: I’m really sorry you cannot understand where I’m coming from. I think most people here understand me, if not my weird sense of humour.

Let's just say you won because it is getting a bit tiring.

Then you can stay happy in your P&O world, which I may visit sometime if they raise their game.

Paul

As others said, the thing is that many people are not anti- them. For example, here's what one well-travelled cruiser wrote about the Spirit:

we sailed on Spirit for the Alaskan cruise. But as for the ship, we loved it. VERY good layout, the crew was excellent and the food was VERY good. The great thing about the Spirit class is that something like 80% of the cabins are balcony and I think 90% have at least an oceanview. That's why they use her for the Hawaii and Alaskan cruises, you get great views.

Now I'm not going to repeat the above quote three times as though it's the only 'right' opinion, but that's what you did.

I'm not even a Carnival fan (despite what you have suggested), but would still be willing to give her a go, and certainly am not going to forecast they're going to make it worse because they treat us all badly/better/your generalisation of choice.

As others said, the thing is that many people are not anti- them. For example, here's what one well-travelled cruiser wrote about the Spirit:

Now I'm not going to repeat the above quote three times as though it's the only 'right' opinion, but that's what you did.

I'm not even a Carnival fan (despite what you have suggested), but would still be willing to give her a go, and certainly am not going to forecast they're going to make it worse because they treat us all badly/better/your generalisation of choice.

Well done you won too, it really is tedious reading your voluminous posts about how good they are.

Well done

Paul

Obviously other posters and I are not free to deride whatever we choose

Why do you wish to "deride" anybody or anything?? (DERIDE - Def- to speak of or treat with contempt, mockery, or ridicule; scoff or jeer at)

Your continued "observations" of P&O AUS ships , and now Carnival Spirit, are purely machinations of YOUR mind - because, as far as I am aware, you have not experienced cruising on any of these ships. It would be far better for all concerned if you advised us more about your experiences on the ships that you have cruised on and leave your derision of things that you know nothing about to those who do!

Barry

Why do you wish to "deride" anybody or anything?? (DERIDE - Def- to speak of or treat with contempt, mockery, or ridicule; scoff or jeer at)

Your continued "observations" of P&O AUS ships , and now Carnival Spirit, are purely machinations of YOUR mind - because, as far as I am aware, you have not experienced cruising on any of these ships. It would be far better for all concerned if you advised us more about your experiences on the ships that you have cruised on and leave your derision of things that you know nothing about to those who do!

Barry

Barry, NO-ONE has experience of the Aussiefied Carnival Spirit, look at the new deck plans, it is different! It has a lower passenger to weight ratio the way it is being marketed.

Why would you need to know about anymore of my experiences?

Why do you consistently feel the need to educate people with your excerpts from the dictionary, rather pompous I would say.

If you think people will not understand the word, use another common term. I think it is your use of U.S. English that confused people before.

You never did come back to me and explain why you would think I know what a carpet bagger is, did you forget?

Sometimes it's a bit like visiting an old people's home on this forum because you have to repeat things over ond over and even then it doesn't sink in.

I have already suggested that we wait and see what happens on the first peak time cruise on this ship and that is what I intend to do I suggest that you do as well and don't get too excited.

Paul

Sludger

I just wanted to find out if your understanding of the word "deride" is the same as mine. It appears to me that it is - and, in your own words, you wish/want to deride "whatever you choose". That, of course, is your own business - sometimes derision is apt and sometimes it is not. Derision at the times that is not apt is looked upon as being unfair - and this is why you get into so much grief here :) Many of your postings are little short of that of an "internet Troll". You do know what a Troll is??

You appear to have nothing positive to offer to this Forum of keen cruisers- only derision of things that you know nothing of - things that are indeed only machinations of your mind (using your own words) .

Barry

Sludger

I just wanted to find out if your understanding of the word "deride" is the same as mine. It appears to me that it is - and, in your own words, you wish/want to deride "whatever you choose". That, of course, is your own business - sometimes derision is apt and sometimes it is not. Derision at the times that is not apt is looked upon as being unfair - and this is why you get into so much grief here :) Many of your postings are little short of that of an "internet Troll". You do know what a Troll is??

You appear to have nothing positive to offer to this Forum of keen cruisers- only derision of things that you know nothing of - things that are indeed only machinations of your mind (using your own words) .

Barry

I say old chap that's rather nasty, is there something in the water in Queensland or is it the fourx, probably the fourx it always tasted like dishwater when I was there, it's no wonder you all get so angry.

Bazza "internet Troll' are you asking because you don't know the answer or are you starting a little quiz forum.

It probably would be suited to the G'Day Mate forum, you should come over me and me mates are having a ball. (Is that proper grammar? You'll have to let me know).

Paul

lol Trolls....this reminds me of that kids book "Billy Goats Gruff".

"Whos that trip traping across my bridge" :)

for those of you who dont know the story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Billy_Goats_Gruff

Ohh by the "G'day mate" form is a great friendly form :D

Looks like many on the forum will try and make sure that you remain beached at Meelup :eek:

S and P

Archived