Port of Tauranga question.

Hi,

Re the port area of Tauranga...can you disembark and walk off the port area by yourself, or do you have to catch the bus at a cost. Last time we did a tour, so not an issue then. I read that the bus was $8 each way. Realise it is NZ largest port. Reason I am asking is because a hire car company we are looking at is located just outside the port, so seems silly to pay an extra $32.

Thanks in advance.

Jen

When the Diamond Princess was berthed in Tauranga this year we were on the Mt Maunganui side of the wharf and walked from the ship to the port gates, a hundred and a bit metres.

There were buses taking passengers from wharfside on tours but as far as getting from the ship to the Mt Maunganui shops the walk was easy, just had to navigate the customs and wharf officers and you are away.

I know Margo had a rental, she might be able to tell you somewhere close by that hires vehicles.

God bless you:)

TraceyG

Hi Jen,

The ships dock on the Mount Maunganui side of the river/estuary. This is a lovely little town in its own right, with a beautiful walk around the Mount. You walk off the ship and there are tour operators waiting outside the gates in the hope you will take one of their tours. Don't know about rental cars as I've seen Rotorua years ago.

First time we went - Feb 2010 -you could wait for and catch the local bus over to Tauranga. Last time, Feb 2011, a local company supplied free shuttle buses into Tauranga. It takes less than 15 mins to get there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Sandy :)

Thankyou for that, excellent news. Have already looked at Margo's suggestions, and a great help too. Typical of you Aucklanders....so helpful. Enjoy the Diamond, one of our favourites.

Jen

Yes, Sandy, it looked beautiful there. Which is why we have finally decided not to do the Rotorua thing again. Last time, on a tour, we saw the area, only stopping at the beach on the other side. So this time, hire car, take our time, have good look around locally....nice. I wish to walk across to that island. Hoping it is not waist deep...lol.

Jen

Hi,

Realise it is NZ largest port.

Not sure what you mean here. I'd be surprised if it is as it's only a short walk, particularly compared to other ports in NZ. Perhaps that's covering the entire area, but for cruise ships, it's an easy walk outside.

Not sure what you mean here. I'd be surprised if it is as it's only a short walk, particularly compared to other ports in NZ. Perhaps that's covering the entire area, but for cruise ships, it's an easy walk outside.

It is on the Tauranga Port web site. If you have a look, there is a section for port video on the main page. Really interesting video, recommended to watch, and in the first 30secs it states clearly it is NZ largest port. Another cc member had posted info on this video, which is how I came across it.:)

We have been there before, just couldn't remember if we could walk out by ourselves or not. Thanks for reassuring us re the 'short walk'. Handy to know.

Cheers,

Jen:)

This link shows some reality

The cruise ships are usually lined up behind the image shown ...not many, maybe only one or two but it determines how far you have to walk...in any event its no big deal

http://www.port-tauranga.co.nz/images.php?oid=3070

cheers

That's fantastic...thankyou for the pic. I knew it was close, just wondered about the security, being a major port. In Lyttleton I remembered we couldn't do the 'walk'. I am grateful for all your answers, and grateful your memories are better than mine:D. I can actually see the hire car place in your pic....perfect.

Cheers,

Jen

Hi,

Re the port area of Tauranga...can you disembark and walk off the port area by yourself, or do you have to catch the bus at a cost. Last time we did a tour, so not an issue then. I read that the bus was $8 each way. Realise it is NZ largest port. Reason I am asking is because a hire car company we are looking at is located just outside the port, so seems silly to pay an extra $32.

Thanks in advance.

Jen

I have posted under 'Ports' Australia NZ about rental cars a couple of times.

In Tauranga we rented a minivan from Riteprice Car Rentals (Cars and minivans) and they were on the Wharf, along with lots of other car rental firms. Plenty of extra cars available on the day, but I would book to be sure. I found Riteprice excellent to deal with - I booked paid six months ahead. They were a matter of 100metres from the ship, made it easy for pick up and drop off, and you pay a little extra for a one day hire and wharf privileges, well worth while.

A word of warning, as I am not sure what day you will be there, but the Mount is a holiday resort, and can be packed especially when cruise ships are in, so leave plenty of time to get back as the traffic can be slow. The closest petrol station is SHELL (or may be called Z by then) about 2 kms from the ship on the left hand side of the main road out as you are leaving, so check its location so when you need to fill up on your return you be able to find it!

There were also other tour companies on the wharf available for hire.

I understand on our last trip to go into Tauranga city (not Mt Maunganui where the ships are berthed) a couple of businesses in Tauranga were providing a free bus service into the main shopping centre.

It can be a bit confusing the Port of Tauranga City is located in the suburb of Mt Maunganui for want of a better way of describing things. A bit like the cruise lines call Tauranga the port of Rotorua (crazy as they are miles apart and Tauranga is it's own city!!!)

That's fantastic...thankyou for the pic. I knew it was close, just wondered about the security, being a major port. In Lyttleton I remembered we couldn't do the 'walk'. I am grateful for all your answers, and grateful your memories are better than mine:D. I can actually see the hire car place in your pic....perfect.

Cheers,

Jen

Whether you can walk off or have to take a bus is really dependant on how the port is set up. Lyttelton has the container and cruise berths mixed in together and it is really a safety issue.

I am sure you can walk off at Dunedin, and in Hobart we walked off, but I understand in Burnie we won't be able to walk off as it is a 'working port'.

Hi MargoK,

Yes, saw your other posts, very helpful, and we have already hired a car. Good tip re the petrol. How much is it over there now.....I was astounded with the price when visiting son in Auckland this last January. Not really an issue, just curious. I also remember the congestion coming back from Rotorua. Perhaps a lot commute there to work??? We didn't get much time in the local area, so are just going to have a good relaxing look around this time. Not even going out as far as Kiwi360.

Thanks for all your valued info....priceless.

Jen

I knew it was close, just wondered about the security, being a major port. In Lyttleton I remembered we couldn't do the 'walk'.

You can walk of the ship in Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington, Picton ( I think) and Dunedin.

Its only Napier and Lyttelton that you cant walk off.

I grew up holidaying at the Mount. :) If you hang around rather town you can shop the main street then walk to the beautiful ocean beaches. Walk towards the Mount along the main parade and get a Copenhagen cone YUM! If you want to walk that off you can walk right around the Mount. :p

The Port of Tauranga, at Mount Maunganui, is NZ's largest port. It exports the bulk of our primary produce to the world markets.Dairy products,Kiwifruit, Meat, Timber etc. If you are up on deck checking the port out,just look at the size of some of the many cool stores there.

However as stated ,the cruise ships are docked in a very convenient location ,well away from the commercial area , and it is a very easy and well organised walk off the ship.

Earlier this year we did the New Zealand cruise on the Sun Princess. While in Tauranga my wife and I used a Hop On - Hop Off bus service. Bethlehem Coaches had two buses doing a one hour circuit of the whole of Tauranga with eight drop off and pick up points conveniently located at the shopping areas, beaches and tourist places to visit such as The Elms Mission Station and Mt. Maunganui. The buses, one driven by "Mum" and the second by "Daughter" operated all day from alongside the ship. My memory fails me as to the exact cost but we thought it good value. I think it was about $20 per person. The ticket was valid for the whole day. On boarding the bus we did the full circuit deciding on the places we wanted to visit throughout the day. We stopped off at the ship for lunch and resumed our sight seeing in the afternoon.

1655524156_05Tauranga.jpg.05016ba0e329d4d3e5d333c24b26cdd4.jpg

1224375253_13Tauranga.jpg.18298dff3fa85ed66a3444dd37977c6d.jpg

187354754_14Tauranga.jpg.7c700fdefe6525609d0a306b3a595d13.jpg

425483879_15Tauranga.jpg.f45f046b31d077f007f72afc4d6a0b36.jpg

1864214140_06Tauranga.jpg.9580dc667d97bc9bd4949bc368630eb2.jpg

1895337616_09Tauranga.jpg.7b1f53e8579e1abcd823957db1ec26fb.jpg

1311257681_21Tauranga.jpg.db4e8c83486a022781934f7eb1cd2326.jpg

2089475138_26Tauranga.jpg.089e9047501e5ef9110ce09ca11ed68f.jpg

191342772_29Tauranga.jpg.ed71c712ee034c48e5f7e2dfc63cf87c.jpg

The Port of Tauranga, at Mount Maunganui, is NZ's largest port. It exports the bulk of our primary produce to the world markets.Dairy products,Kiwifruit, Meat, Timber etc. If you are up on deck checking the port out,just look at the size of some of the many cool stores there.

However as stated ,the cruise ships are docked in a very convenient location ,well away from the commercial area , and it is a very easy and well organised walk off the ship.

Thanks David. They hide it well from us cruise passengers! I had no idea about it being the largest when I was there (or maybe I was too entranced at Mt Maunganui :-) ).

The Sailaway from Tauranga / Mt Manganui on a clear day is one of the best, especially if the winds are lifting above the mountain for the paragliders.

NewZealand108-1.jpg

Colleen

Great photo Colleen.

We left Tauranga 2 Jan this year and every beachfront vantage point was packed!! It was truely an amazing sight. And even arriving into port in the morning the sunrise was spectacular. I would insert photos but have yet to master that task!!

Archived