Best Side of Ship for River Cruise

StevenW

I'm in the final stages of planning a Danube river cruise, and I read somewhere that when the ship is docked at night, it's quieter to have a cabin facing the river than a cabin facing the shore/town/road.

So I'm now considering cabin selection, as I would on a cruise ship.

I'm travelling from Nuremburg to Budapest, which I assume means that the ship will be travelling upstream.

And I assume that river ships dock facing upstream, so the river flows smoothly past the hull, however can anyone please tell me whether the docks are all on one side of the river, or does it vary from town to town?

If there's an opportunity to have a better night's sleep on one side of the ship rather than the other, then I may as well ask.

(I've searched existing threads/posts, and couldn't find this topic discussed)

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

Edited by StevenW

I just found a post where someone said that the Port (left) side of the river ship is usually facing away from the dock. Has that been the experience of others please?

Edited by StevenW

On our two river cruises, most of the time the port side was away from the dock. That said, we have had cabins next to the dock, and other than keeping the curtains drawn at night to stop "prying" eyes from passerby's and shut out light, have not had an issue. We really did not notice any excessive noise.

Cheers,

On our two river cruises, most of the time the port side was away from the dock. That said, we have had cabins next to the dock, and other than keeping the curtains drawn at night to stop "prying" eyes from passerby's and shut out light, have not had an issue. We really did not notice any excessive noise.

Cheers,

Thankyou so much.

Also remember some ships will "raft up" unlike ocean cruises

So you may be facing the river but you may have a ship right next to your side of the ship

+1 Here you'll get an idea of the problem.. http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/blog/?p=3848

Furthermore from Nuremberg to Budapest you are cruising from Regensburg downstream on the Danube to Budapest

IMO it doesn't much matter which side of the ship your cabin is located. If you socialize you will be spending most of your time in the lounges, sun deck, dining area or trooping thru the ports. The only time you'll spend your cabintime is sleeping and resting.

Don't get too hung up on sides . One evening we docked with our cabin on the outside facing the river . So we go to bed .

In the morning this little Vegemite in his undies throws back to the curtains to find another vessel moored alongside with some young ladies just crawling out of the cot for breakfast in hair re-arrangement mode !!!

Solution close curtains hurriedly .

Some times the riverboats are moored side by side up to 3 - 4 .

Don't get too hung up on sides . One evening we docked with our cabin on the outside facing the river . So we go to bed .

In the morning this little Vegemite in his undies throws back to the curtains to find another vessel moored alongside with some young ladies just crawling out of the cot for breakfast in hair re-arrangement mode !!!

LOL

Thanks for my morning laugh

That is what I am worried about

Lyn

I have been on two river cruises and as stated above it really doesn't matter which side of the ship you choose. Depending on the port either side may be next to the dock and you may be moored next to another ship. I would go with the cabin that is best located based on the distance to the dining, room, lounge and reception. We prefer cabins that are midship.

Depending on your itinerary you may be traveling mostly during the night so nighttime docking may not be an issue at all.

If you are concerned about noise you may find that you will pass through many locks during the night and there will be things that go "bump" in the night even in the best located cabin.

Enjoy your trip.

• 2 years later...
We were on a Russian River cruise, had a port cabin. The boat always seemed to dock on the port side.

Hi there... I found this older posting regarding your Russian River Cruise and your having a Port Cabin. We are going to be traveling on the River Victoria from St. Petersburg to Moscow. And wondered if in your opinion (overall) what side of the ship would be the best. I travelled the Rhine and did not seem to mind what side I was on...so figured before I ask for a specific room I would ask your opinion.

Thanks in Advance.

Like on the Rhine it doesn't matter. The rivers you'll be on aren't that wide that you won't be able to see land on both shores and the scenery is pretty much the same on both sides unless you're passing by a town and then you can go on deck to take pictures or to see it. Some of the towns are really beautiful.

Like on the Rhine it doesn't matter. The rivers you'll be on aren't that wide that you won't be able to see land on both shores and the scenery is pretty much the same on both sides unless you're passing by a town and then you can go on deck to take pictures or to see it. Some of the towns are really beautiful.

Thanks.... I kind of figured that would be the consensus....but figured I may as well check around a bit.

I finally got the Russian trip booked, so it is all set for August 7th 2015.

We are finalizing our Italy tour for this summer right now.... trying to decide what to do in Barcelona during the 10+ hours we are there. Finally got the airfare for the Italy trip last week...and bought travel insurance last night. It is fun doing the planning.... lot's to research. All the while my wife is still looking at Paris.

Thanks.... I kind of figured that would be the consensus....but figured I may as well check around a bit.

I finally got the Russian trip booked, so it is all set for August 7th 2015.

We are finalizing our Italy tour for this summer right now.... trying to decide what to do in Barcelona during the 10+ hours we are there. Finally got the airfare for the Italy trip last week...and bought travel insurance last night. It is fun doing the planning.... lot's to research. All the while my wife is still looking at Paris.

Perfect time to go!!! I hope things calm down in Ukraine by then....I'd really love to see you do that add-on. I'm confused why do you have 10 hours in Barcelona on a trip Italy? Haven't been to Spain yet but Barcelona is on my "must see" list. It's supposed to be a beautiful city. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. Where are you going in Italy? Doesn't really matter, you will love all of it. BEST food in the world!!!!! You'll never look at Italian food in the US the same way again!!!!:D

Hydrokitty.....

see my reply to you over at this Thread if you would..... this thread here is so old, I doubt I will hear anything from anyone else here...plus I hope to see more commits on my Rome thread....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1887741

JUNE 4th 2014 EPIC - Rome - Come Join Us !!

Edited by Buck1949