Strange ship rules

caitlyn20

I've had this happen on the past few cruises I've been on, and decided to ask if anyone can tell me WHY exactly that I'm not allowed to do this.

This usually happens on a sea day. So, no other ships around for miles, nothing but water everywhere. No chance we'd accidently brush up against a tree.....

I usually find a quiet spot on a high deck to watch the water. I will sit down at the railing with my feet dangling over the side. It isn't 5-10 minutes before a security officer will come up and tell me I have to keep my legs on the INSIDE of the railing. So, why am I allowed to lean out over the top of the railing, but I can't sit on the deck with the railing totally shielding my body with just from my knees down out?

It's not like a freak wave would knock me overboard more quickly than if I were just standing at the rail. I'd actually have a chance to hold onto something. It's not like I'm going to slide out between the rails...they are 6 inches apart at the most.

This has happened on every ship I've tried it on (what can I say, I'm a rebel...hee hee.) I don't mind following rules when I think there's a reason. I just don't get that one.

Maybe it's because of the carnivreous flying fish. You get a couple of those puppies latched on to your calf and you will be yelling like crazy.

flyingfish%232.jpg

A friend told me that on his cruise a drunk fell asleep like that and when he woke up his legs were gone up to the knees. He had to cancel all of his excursions and lost his deposits. Plus he had just bought two pairs of brand new shoes.

He had planned to enter the hairy leg contest but had to withdraw.

Maybe it's because of the carnivreous flying fish. You get a couple of those puppies latched on to your calf and you will be yelling like crazy.

flyingfish%232.jpg

A friend told me that on his cruise a drunk fell asleep like that and when he woke up his legs were gone up to the knees. He had to cancel all of his excursions and lost his deposits. Plus he had just bought two pairs of brand new shoes.

Wow, I had no idea flying wish could jump 7 stories up. Thanks for the info!

:D

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm sure it's an obligatory thing where they have to tell you not to do it, whether they really think there's a liability or not. Otherwise, in court, it would be like, "so you saw this lady do that and didn't say anything? Because you didn't warn her, her legs got eaten by a flying fish. Therefore, you are liable because she could have won the "best leg" contest with the $3 million dollar prize."

It is due to the Possibility of High winds Ive been on board ships where the Mariner was turned on to his side and broke his legs. Among many other reasons like if the railing is weak you will fall over :) Trust them its for your own safety :)

flyingfish%232.jpg

I do not know what is funnier. This post or the people who cannot figure out it is a joke.... lol

Here's another way to look at it. It's a short change in posture to be lying back against the deck with your feet hanging off. Now you are a short slippery deck or push from sliding out into the sea or being pulled out by carnivorous flying fish.

The point of view of a safety officer is not to compromise any of the safety put in place - each step of compromise is something they should be correcting to avoid a serious mishap.

Of course, all things are relative. Half the passengers have a private balcony railing where they can be as stupid as they want. They will serve as much alcohol as you want to drink and then let you wander up to the rail.

Yes. According to a first officer I talked to on Voyager. It happens from time to time and it is close to impossible to find they body. The propulsion system sucks it under the ship and cya...

The fish cracked me up!

But on a serious note, my friend's father was on a cruise, went out onto the balcony to have a smoke, and disappeared. His body was washed up a few days later on a neighboring island.

Sorry to be a downer, but to answer your question...yes, it happens.

I am rolling in the floor laughing:D ! The fish visual is hysterical! Hey can you have a little "fun" on the balcony without being seen by the neighbors??? Just wondering:o ;) ! 1st time having a balcony, can't wait!!

Alot depends on where your balcony is located and whether you are in port or not ...

If you have an aft balcony, those above you can just look down and see you ...

If you are in port, there may be another ship next to yours or you could be facing land ...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived