Shuttle from Manhatten to Bayonne/Cape Liberty cruise port?

cos24

1st time cruising out of NJ. Staying off 41/42st street. Does a shuttle or train run from Manhatten to Bayonne/Cape Liberty cruise port? If not, what are my other options/costs? I have one car hire recommendation so far. Thanks.

No shuttle that we recommend.

You have public transit options + cab into the port.

Path train from 32nd/33rd & 6th to Hoboken ($2.25), Hudson -Bergen Light Rail to 34th St in Bayonne ($2.10), and cab into the port ($10). I have done this and it is very manageable with luggage if you can get your stuff down into the Path Station. After that, it's all flat rolling.

Ther is also a public bus to Bayonne which leaves from Port Authority. You would get off at 34th St in Bayonne and call a cab.

If your interested, we can provide more details.

No shuttle that we recommend.

You have public transit options + cab into the port.

Path train from 32nd/33rd & 6th to Hoboken ($2.25), Hudson -Bergen Light Rail to 34th St in Bayonne ($2.10), and cab into the port ($10). I have done this and it is very manageable with luggage if you can get your stuff down into the Path Station. After that, it's all flat rolling.

Ther is also a public bus to Bayonne which leaves from Port Authority. You would get off at 34th St in Bayonne and call a cab.

If your interested, we can provide more details.

Thanks for the helpful info. What would be the time difference between the 2 options you offered? Also, for the 2nd option (public bus), do you know if there are transfers and what the cost might be? Thanks again.

The public bus runs about once an hour. If you give me your sail date, I will look up the bus number and schedule. No transfers, but you do have to get all your stuff into Port Authority, get a ticket, and find the bus platform. We're talking about a bus terminal that is at least 2 square city blocks in size and at least 5 levels.

Path runs at least every 15 minutes during the day. The light rail runs frequently as well. When you get to Hoboken, you take the elevator up to the street, walk towards the train platforms, make a left to go beyond to the light rail, buy your ticket from the machine, validate it, and look for the Bayonne train, which could be waiting in the station. There should be no problem getting seats at the hours you are traveling.

I would guess that both take about the same amount of time. You will need the number of Bayonne Taxi to call for a cab when you get to either destination.

I went from Larchmont NY to Bayonne is a little over 2 hours, which I thought was great time since ther were 5 legs to that trip.

The public bus runs about once an hour. If you give me your sail date, I will look up the bus number and schedule. No transfers, but you do have to get all your stuff into Port Authority, get a ticket, and find the bus platform. We're talking about a bus terminal that is at least 2 square city blocks in size and at least 5 levels.

Path runs at least every 15 minutes during the day. The light rail runs frequently as well. When you get to Hoboken, you take the elevator up to the street, walk towards the train platforms, make a left to go beyond to the light rail, buy your ticket from the machine, validate it, and look for the Bayonne train, which could be waiting in the station. There should be no problem getting seats at the hours you are traveling.

I would guess that both take about the same amount of time. You will need the number of Bayonne Taxi to call for a cab when you get to either destination.

I went from Larchmont NY to Bayonne is a little over 2 hours, which I thought was great time since ther were 5 legs to that trip.

Very helpful. again.. thank you. my sail date is Saturday July 20 for the public bus info. To baim to be at the ship by 1 - 2 pm - Would the total trip time for either (not including taxi) run about 1 hr (according to google maps)?

I need some help from the Bayonne locals. Last time I researched the bus from NY to Bayonne, there was a direct bus. Now I can't find it. Does anyone know if the routes changed?

After my experience on Path and the light rail, I wouldn't even consider the bus personally, but if it's there, it's an option.

If you're staying near the E train,you can always take that to World Trade Center, take Path to Exchange Place, and pick up the light rail in Jersey City. Ther's a bit more walking on this route, but once you get your stuff down to the subway platform, there is flat walking and escalators at the other end.

From the RCCL site: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Directions+to+the+Pier&faqId=315&faqSubjectId=331&faqType=faq

Transportation

By train:

•Take the PATH Rapid Transit System train from Manhattan to Jersey City or Hoboken.

•Outside the PATH Station, take the NJ Hudson-Bergen Light Rail train to Bayonne.

•Get off at the 34th Street Station in Bayonne.

•You are now directly across Route 440 from the Peninsula at Bayonne Harbor, which includes the Cape Liberty Cruise Port.

•Call one of the three Bayonne taxi cab companies to drive you to the cruise port, which is about two miles east of the Light Rail line.

By bus:

•East Coast regional Motorcoach Program (a service provided by Entertainment Tours) - call (800) 310-9900 for reservations or book online. Please contact Entertainment Tours for rates and pick up locations.

•From the Port Authority Bus Terminal, take the 99S bus to Bayonne.

•The 99S bus travels along Kennedy Boulevard into Bayonne and stops on request every three blocks.

•When you reach 33rd Street and Kennedy Boulevard in Bayonne, you will be at the closest point on the bus route to the cruise port.

•Call one of the three Bayonne taxi cab companies to drive you to the cruise port, which is about three miles east of Kennedy Boulevard.

I found the bus. http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/96/route1099Ssched.pdf

This is a long local bus ride scheduled at an hour. It requires exact change to pay the fare, but I couldn't find what the fare is without calling. I'm guessing in the $5-6 range. It departs from gate 414 in Port Authority which I think is on the 4th floor.

IMO Path and light rail is a much better journey.

How do I find the time schedule for the Path train from 32nd/33rd & 6th to Hoboken , and the Hudson -Bergen Light Rail to 34th St in Bayonne?

PATH Schedules: http://www.panynj.gov/path/full-schedules.html

Light Rail Schedule in PDF: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0100.pdf

Interactive Light Rail Schedule: http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=LightRailTo

The interactive light rail schedule is easier to read. It shows a picture of the light rail and what a typical station would look like. It's basically a modern trolley that is low slung so that the station platforms can be even with the car doors and easily accessible for handicapped folks and people with strollers and luggage.

A typical timing on a Saturday morning would be to leave 33rd St at 10:00 am arriving Hoboken at 10:15 and leaving Hoboken at 10:22 arriving 34th St Bayonne at 10:50. The 8 minutes should be enough time to get from the underground Path Station to street level via elevator and to find the light rail ticket machines, buy a ticket, and board the train.

However Hoboken train station is not only a major transportation hub, it is also a historic train station that has been restored and there are fantastic views of NYC from the property. If you're a tourist, it may be worth allocating a few minutes to look at the station and enjoy the views. Do a search on Hoboken train station pictures. You can also search Hoboken light rail Station pictures as well as Bayonne light rail station pictures to get more visuals. Relax and enjoy the trip - treat it like a pre cruise excursion that will take you through areas you would have never seen.

Excellent advice and directions as always from 138east and njhorseman... I'll just add my two cents' worth here.

To get from Manhattan to Bayonne, I would recommend the PATH/Light Rail option over the bus.

I ride PATH and the NJ Transit Light Rail frequently. These two systems are very easy to navigate if you know your way around, but perhaps slightly confusing or intimidating for the first-timer/ out-of-towner. Nonetheless, the trip from Manhattan to Bayonne is relatively easy.

Getting into the 33rd Street PATH station with luggage can be a bit of a challenge. There are a number of entrances scattered around Herald Square; most of them involve stairs. However, there is an elevator entrance on the west side of 6th Avenue, near the intersection of West 32nd Street. The elevator is located just to the left of the entrance to JC Penney. Look for the stylized letter "P" (for PATH) on a blue background and the sign "PATH trains to New Jersey." When you exit the elevator, you will see the electronic turnstiles into the PATH station itself; there are several ticket machines near the turnstiles.

(Note: If you already have a MetroCard for travel on New York (MTA) buses and subways, you can also use that card to travel on the PATH train.)

For more information about the 33rd Street PATH station, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/33rd_Street_%28PATH_station%29

This video gives a nice overview of the PATH system and the PATH trains. The 33rd Street station platform is shown at the start of the video:

Somebody filmed the entire trip from Hoboken to 33rd Street Manhattan--the reverse of the trip you'll be doing. (Not the most exciting cinematography.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6q3oxrpGVk

The Light Rail platform, & Light Rail trains, at Hoboken:

Scenery along the Light Rail route... In the first minute or so of this video, a Light Rail train passes through the Paulus Hook section of Jersey City en route to Bayonne. (I shot this one myself.;))

Here's the Light Rail stop at Bayonne 34th Street. From here, take a taxi to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal:

If sailing out of Bayonne on a Saturday, I would plan on leaving New York--that is, boarding the PATH train--at around 10 a.m. That would allow you plenty of time to get to the Cape Liberty cruise terminal by 11:30 or so.

Post Captain - what a great post! I enjoyed all the videos.

You have supplied the one detail I have been missing - how to get into the 33rd St. Path Station via elevator.

I think I found a picture of the entrance. There is a little blue sign just to the left (ignore the station entrance with stairs on the right of the picture) Could you take a look and confirm that this is it?

http://library.gc.cuny.edu/34th_st/archive/files/httplibrarygccunyedu34th_stimages34222ac_25301dd836.jpg

That means that anyone in midtown can take a cab to JC Penney with luggage and get all the way to Bayonne with no stairs. That's huge. I know that most folks won't consider doing this, but for two people the cost of a car service is at least 4 times the cost of this public transit jaunt including the cab ride in Bayonne and many folks just don't want to spend the extra money.

Bayonne Taxi is 201-339-5000

Post Captain - what a great post! I enjoyed all the videos.

You have supplied the one detail I have been missing - how to get into the 33rd St. Path Station via elevator.

I think I found a picture of the entrance. There is a little blue sign just to the left (ignore the station entrance with stairs on the right of the picture) Could you take a look and confirm that this is it?

http://library.gc.cuny.edu/34th_st/archive/files/httplibrarygccunyedu34th_stimages34222ac_25301dd836.jpg

That means that anyone in midtown can take a cab to JC Penney with luggage and get all the way to Bayonne with no stairs. That's huge. I know that most folks won't consider doing this, but for two people the cost of a car service is at least 4 times the cost of this public transit jaunt including the cab ride in Bayonne and many folks just don't want to spend the extra money.

Bayonne Taxi is 201-339-5000

138east ~

Thanks!

Yes, that's it exactly!--the elevator is beneath the blue-and-white "P" sign (with the wheelchair symbol), immediately to the left of the "Satisfy, Reward, Indulge" sign (to the left of the left-most red-and-white "JCP" logo) that's visible when you zoom in on the photo.

The elevator itself is fairly small, but can hold a half-dozen or so people with luggage. In fact, my wife & I used it a few weeks ago when we were coming back to NJ from New York late one evening a few weeks ago, just to avoid the stairs in the middle of the square (at the large PATH sign in the foreground on the right side of the photo).

There's also a small elevator at the PATH station in Hoboken. Just walk forward when you exit the PATH train; pass through the turnstiles, and take a hard left. That elevator brings you up to ground level just outside the Hoboken train terminal; you then turn left out of the elevator and enter the terminal and walk the length of the concourse to the Light Rail platform.

Incidentally, the Hoboken train terminal itself suffered severe damage during Hurricane Sandy. The waiting room and the adjacent shops (not to mention the PATH station itself) were flooded. The waiting room and ticket windows were closed for several months because of subsequent mold problems and other damage, and it's been a long project to restore the station back to its previous condition. Work is still ongoing. Take a look at the 14 photos with this news story from this January:

http://photos.nj.com/jersey-journal/2013/01/waiting_room_reopens_at_hoboke.html

Another vote for PATH/Light Rail, this time from an out-of-towner unfamiliar with the system - I used both pre-cruise in December and took the Light Rail to Bayonne to join Explorer (I stayed in Jersey City-Newport so just jumped right on the Light Rail to get to the port, but used PATH for some NYC exploring the day before).

I wrote my adventures up for this board at http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1753679

Great! Since I no longer live in the area, I've only taken Path with luggage once recently. After a ride on MetroNorth and a bad subway experience from Grand Central that involved carrying luggage down stairs and a packed N train platform due to a service interruption, I arrived at Herald Square and hauled my luggage endlessly through the concourse to Path. Should have taken a cab from Grand Central to 32nd & 6th. Lesson learned - I don't recommend a subway connection to Path unless absolutely necessary.

When I finally got to Path I was pleasantly surprised. There was a nice wide turnstile like we have in Boston that would easily accommodate my small rolling suitcase and rolling backpack. The train to Hoboken was empty. I was able to find the elevator from the Path platform up to the Station level. I took some time to revisit the Station, take a few pictures, and enjoy the view. Buying a ticket on the light rail was easy and the train was empty. Since I used to live on Montgomery St in Jersey City, I really enjoyed the ride through that area. Paulus hook has certainly changed!

I called the cab company when I arrived at 34th St and they told me where to go for the pickup which was on Avenue E on the back side of the station. The pickup came quickly - he was on his way to Cape Liberty to catch an outbound fare, so this was a few extra bucks for him on the inbound route.

The secret is to leave enough time so you can relax and enjoy the trip. Quite frankly I found it to be a less stressful trip than a car ride from midtown Manhattan to Cape Liberty.

• 2 months later...
We would be coming into NYC from Poughkeepsie via either Amtrak or MNR. Is one of those more convenient to the PATH station?

Amtrak is certainly closer -- if you have reasonably wheelable luggage you should be able to walk to PATH from Amtrak in 5-10 minutes. The eastern end of Penn Station, where the main pedestrian entrance is, is at 32nd and 7th, and you simply walk one block along 32nd St, to 32nd and 6th, for the PATH entrance inside the Manhattan Mall. To orient yourself, the train will be moving east as it enters Penn Station, so just try to keep going in the direction the train arrived in.

On the other hand, Amtrak is more expensive, of course.

Amtrak usually comes in closer to 8th Ave so it's almost a 2 avenue hike across to Path. MetroNorth would be cheaper and you would be getting on at the first stop, which means you could get in the front car to minimize your walk at Grand Central. You can spend the savings on a cab to take you to the Path handicapped entrance described earlier in this thread. That would be a better plan in case the weather is bad.

Archived