Hotel in Sydney

floralscent

I have read a few threads on hotels in Sydney but there doesn't seem to be as much chat about pre/post cruise hotels on this board as there are on other boards- such as Caribbean boards (FLL or MIA stays) Where is everyone staying in Sydney?

We are looking at the Swissotel and Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney and are open to other hotels in that price range ($180 - $200 USD) for a night pre-cruise. We would like something in new condition, modern, not worn looking and with a bathroom/shower in the room. Also in a central location to things to do, safe area to walk in and close to restaurants and pubs.

Do the two hotels I mentioned sound like good choices? Any tips or suggestions welcome. We will be sailing out of the overseas passenger terminal in December.

Thank you!

While I have not stayed in either of those hotels, I have been to Sydney many times and I can say that they are both well-located. (The Amora Jamison is closer to Circular Quay and the Rocks, which is the primo location in Sydney, but the Swisshotel is not that far away--an 8 minute walk vs. a 16 minute walk.)

They both get "excellent" to "very good" ratings on Trip Advisor. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

if its any help,we are on the solstice (3 x 2 married couples) leaving on the 3.4.15 out of Sydney.we always stay at the ' metro Sydney central hotel'', corner of Campbell and pitt st Sydney, (http://www.metrohotels.com.au) it is a clean and safe hotel, around $160.00 aus per night, (a great $15.00 buffett breakfast) it is a brisk 20 minute walk to the opt,but it is only 5 minutes to paddys markets / Chinatown / 10 minutes to the Sydney fish markets / right across the road from sydneys major theatres,and there is malonies irish pub about 5 minutes up the slight hill (http://www.maloneyshotel.com.au) for some bloody good tucker and a couple of pints of good ale, nice pub and friendly staff (great Guinness pie with puff pastry top and mash n gravy about $18.00 aus.then in the morning they will call a cab for you to go to the ship about $20.00 depending on traffic.it may not be at the quay but its very good value.

hope this helps

The Amora does not meet your requirements. I've stayed there many times unfortunately (it is across the road from my office) and it's a dump; there's at least a 50:50 chance of getting a terrible room.

The Shagri La is good as is the Intercontinental.

How much is the taxi fare to OPT I have been looking at the Ibis next door ? Thanks

Sorry can't really remember. The ibis is very basic but perfect if you just need a clean well positioned hotel.

If you are happy to take a water taxi to the opt that might be an option. The Sydney transit water fairies leave from darling harbour and go to circular quay.

We found jumping in one if these & taking a trip around to be a great way to see the harbour and get around.

Darling harbour has shops, restaurants & a maritime museum.

We stayed last week post-cruise at the Mantra 2 Bond Street for 5 nights. Studio apartment with equipped kitchenette and living room area. Great location, 7 min. walk to Circular Quay and OPT. Great supermarket across the street. Has gym and swimming pool. Free Wi-Fi in the lobby. Paid AUD230-/day including all taxes. I can recommend it highly.

We are planning to spend 3 nights pre cruise, which area do you consider to be the best for sightseeing.

We will travel from the airport by train and are happy to use public transport to get around and to the ship (OPT)

Thank you

You said in another post you wre thinking of Travelodge Wynyard, you can walk to OPT from there.

But do your self a favor and look at the Grace on York Street an 1860s building, bigger rooms and IMHO nice decor than Travelodge. I know the mob wifey does some work for swapped her from Travelodge to Grace and they wouldnt do that if price wasn't better.