Is today really the first time two cruise ships have docked at Circular Quay?

Who recognises these two ships? Are they both cruise ships? Cruise Critic member Tim Faircloth dug up this old photo from the National Library of Australia (see attached thumbnail). Tim also thinks he remembers another time in the 1970s when he saw two ships docked next to each other. Anyone else?

The four ships docked in Sydney today are:

Ponant's Le Soleal and Azamara Club Cruises's Azamara Quest - both small enough to dock together at OPT

Silversea Cruises' Silver Whisper and Seabourn's Seabourn Odyssey - both at White Bay

We'll have photos later.

Louise Goldsbury

Australia Editor

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au

12705239_947134228673657_1843951373433799273_n.jpg.dd9f6607572d26f0526003aff0dfebb6.jpg

Edited by CruiseCriticAUeditor

Watching Azamara come in on the live webcams. Difficult as La Soleal is docked with the bunker barge right next to it. Azamara is taking a long time to to position itself just right to dock.

Wonder if it is a fuel bunker barge. Its floating high in the water so not much fuel on board if it is. Looks like a crane on the deck?

2j2iwsl.jpg

Watching Azamara come in on the live webcams. Difficult as La Soleal is docked with the bunker barge right next to it. Azamara is taking a long time to to position itself just right to dock.

Azamura docked on the 12th and overnighted in Sydney, Le Soleal docked at 10 this morning.

Who recognises these two ships? Are they both cruise ships? Cruise Critic member Tim Faircloth dug up this old photo from the National Library of Australia (see attached thumbnail). Tim also thinks he remembers another time in the 1970s when he saw two ships docked next to each other. Anyone else?

Ponant's Le Soleal and Azamara Club Cruises's Azamara Quest - both small enough to dock together at OPT

Silversea Cruises' Silver Whisper and Seabourn's Seabourn Odyssey - both at White Bay

We'll have photos later.

Louise Goldsbury

Australia Editor

It's DEFINATELY the first time two cruise ship have berthed at the newly renovated OPT :D :D :D

We'll have photos later.

Louise Goldsbury

Australia Editor

It's DEFINATELY the first time two cruise ships have berthed at the same time at the newly renovated and extended OPT

It's DEFINATELY the first time two cruise ships have berthed at the same time at the newly renovated and extended OPT

Graham,

I realise your comments are made in jest but you raise an important point, that of terms of reference.

Circular Quay has been an important port since white settlement of Australia. I'm sure there has been more than one ship here many times over the years. The OPT (Overseas Passenger Terminal) was opened in December 1960 and has undergone redevelopment a number of times since then.

In the 1960s and 1970s "ocean liners" (designed to transport passengers from point A to point B) docked at the OPT. Today "cruise ships" (designed for comfort, not speed - much like yours truely ;)) are the most frequent vessels.

So whilst this is not the first time two ships have been docked at this site, it may well be the first time that the OPT (only in existence since 1960) has hosted two cruise ships (as opposed to ocean liners, battle ships, tug boats, garbage barges or rubber dingies). :)

Perhaps I'm being pedantic but I was surprised to here the Channel 7 News talk about "two luxury cruise liners". Whilst they are undoubtedly ships belonging to "cruise lines", they are not what I would call "liners". :cool:

And don't get me started on "ships of the line"! :D

Graham,

I realise your comments are made in jest but you raise an important point, that of terms of reference.

Circular Quay has been an important port since white settlement of Australia. I'm sure there has been more than one ship here many times over the years. The OPT (Overseas Passenger Terminal) was opened in December 1960 and has undergone redevelopment a number of times since then.

In the 1960s and 1970s "ocean liners" (designed to transport passengers from point A to point B) docked at the OPT. Today "cruise ships" (designed for comfort, not speed - much like yours truely ;)) are the most frequent vessels.

So whilst this is not the first time two ships have been docked at this site, it may well be the first time that the OPT (only in existence since 1960) has hosted two cruise ships (as opposed to ocean liners, battle ships, tug boats, garbage barges or rubber dingies). :)

Perhaps I'm being pedantic but I was surprised to here the Channel 7 News talk about "two luxury cruise liners". Whilst they are undoubtedly ships belonging to "cruise lines", they are not what I would call "liners". :cool:

And don't get me started on "ships of the line"! :D

Agree Sparky, I was thinking the same thing.

hahaha - its like that game we use to play in school with the string - looped all round our fingers then we had to pass it over to the next person (hmmmm what was that called ??)

I think the Goodies did a show on that. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=goodies+string+song&view=detail&mid=C4707ABCF166FE360C39C4707ABCF166FE360C39&FORM=VIRE1