Treats / snacks for crew members

shuttle-c

When we get to our first port, many times we get snacks, small gifts for our dinning staff and cabin steward. We get the best service and they usually seem really flattered that we thought of them. We usually try to get things they can't get on the ship.

Does anyone else do things like this? If so, do you have suggestions for small tokens. We don't spend alot, but it makes the cruise special.

My DH and I usually pick up something nice for the front office ladies that are so helpful, and also for our cabin steward. Never anything terribly expensive just something thoughtful and nice. We don't do this for any reason other than we enjoy it however, our service does seem to improve.

Trisha

This has never occurred to me, but it seems like a great idea. Can you tell us what you got that was unavailable on the ship?

ON HAL the cruise staff seem to like the crunchy snacks and other things they can grab in their cabins "oreos", etc.

They only have a crew day purchase in their ship store once a week.

They usually take the snacks back to their cabin and share it with their friends.

They seem to be so pleased about it.

My DH and I usually pick up something nice for the front office ladies that are so helpful, and also for our cabin steward. Never anything terribly expensive just something thoughtful and nice. We don't do this for any reason other than we enjoy it however, our service does seem to improve.

Trisha

Trisha: you are right. The crew members get so many grouchy people complaing about everything. One waiter said he liked the shorter cruises because if he had grumpy people he didn't have to serve them as long as on a 12 or may day cruise.

I can sympathize with them. Our service gets so much better when we let them know we like them. They have told us to ask for them the next time we cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

On some ships/lines, the crew store is open every day. I've had conversations with many cabin stewards, and have been told they do not need nor want any little tokens/souveniers, as their living quarters are quite small, and no place to put 'stuff', although the thought is appreciated.

I do take packages of small candy bars, and I leave a couple every day for the cabin steward. One time, I noticed a steward giving the candy away to some teenage girls in the hall.:D Oh well, I will continue with this practice anyway.

What a great idea!! The cabin stewards always do such a nice job taking care of you - I would love to give this extra kudo!! Our wait staff in the dining rooms have always been so attentive as well - They have been the best to the kids! Our server even would cut up our daughters steak for her!!

Thanks - adding that to the packing list!! Candy bars, phone cards...check!!

After reading about this wonderful idea on another thread, I decided to fix up a little goodie bag for our cabin steward when we go on the NOS in 16 days!! My partner is a AFLAC agent and he has a little AFLAC duck that has an intertube and goggles on and I'm going to put that in there along with a couple of phone cards, some playing cards with ALABAMA listed on them and a koozie. Not much but I know I always appreciate getting little "freebies"! :D

Taking little gifts is a nice thought but keep in mind the crew have very small quarters and doubt if they have room for nick knacks etc.....a lot of crew come from countries where they don't eat junk food like North Americans do so maybe that is why they give the chocolate away.

They don't eat the same food as the the passengers eat so you don't often see too many chunky crew.;)

Money is always appreciated by them

They work long hours and months away from family, they send most of their money home, so extra tips is always good.

If you have samples of perfume the female staff might like that.

On our last cruise the waitress would go to the shop and use the free samples of perfume because she did not buy for herself.

I most definitely agree with LHT. The crew many times have four to a tiny cabin and have no space for souveniers, etc. I have been on over 30 cruises and the three most important things to them are money, an excellent recommendation on comment card, and sleep. Since you cannot give them sleep, you can definitely give them the other two. They value that more than anything else.

I start a journal on the first day of the cruise on "cruise stationary" and title it:

MY COMMENTS FOR THE "END OF THE CRUISE" SURVEY ON OUR CABIN STEWART, ___________:

and so on...

I leave this out in plain sight and add to it as the cruise progresses and we see exemplary service. Then this is my reminder to include in the survey at the end of the ship.

Truly what is most appreciated is cash. They have teeny spaces (you think your space is small) and some are on restricted diets for religious reasons. Extra dollars are, many times, sent home to pay for childrens education and food and clothing for their families. Money is welcome.

After talking to several of them, they really do like the snacks. They say they get tired of the crew food and they don't get time to go into shore every week.

Also, the ship store gives them a discount once a week, but they still have to pay for it. They have told us they love to go back in the evenings and share with their friends.

We've been told that with the new tipping policy on HAL, they get less money than they did before. So if you want to give them something extra (money wise), hand it to them separately rather than putting it on your ship account.

I start a journal on the first day of the cruise on "cruise stationary" and title it:

MY COMMENTS FOR THE "END OF THE CRUISE" SURVEY ON OUR CABIN STEWART, ___________:

and so on...

I leave this out in plain sight and add to it as the cruise progresses and we see exemplary service. Then this is my reminder to include in the survey at the end of the ship.

Sounds more like a threat. I'm glad I'm not your Cabin Steward, "Stewart."

What about personal items...deoderant, toothpaste, floss...a little package of necessities that help make life more pleasant? Toss in a couple candies, maybe a phone card...what do you think?

Most cruiselines don't allow open flames in any cabin...so probably not candles.

What about a gift certificate for the shop on board that they use??

Crew shops at crew store located away from public areas.

Sounds more like a threat. I'm glad I'm not your Cabin Steward, "Stewart."

No not at all..I'm not the type of person to threaten anyone who is providing me with a service. I just merely want them to know what great service that I've seen them provide and let them know..it's being duly noted and added to my comments at the end of the cruise!

Sorry about the typo...

It's amazing that, even after so many have commented on the fact that they have NO room in their cabins for 'happies', and don't even WANT the extra 'stuff' to have to do something with........some people STILL say they'll bring baskets/gift boxes/etc. for the cabin steward.

Hello? They do not want our little thoughtful gifts. MONEY is all they can actually use (or send home).

I took little gift bags full of all sorts of things I thought they could use, did this on several cruises. I have asked several stewards and they said NO, they appreciate the thought, but just simply do NOT want nor need these little things. SO, I no longer take the little gifts, only mini-candy bars to hand out during the cruise. I leave my automatic tips in place, and tip extra in cash the end of the cruise.

Of course, we all want to do nice things for these folks who make our cruise more enjoyable, and I'm sure no one is doing these things in LIEU of the tips. But - money, money, money. That's all they really need.

What about personal items...deoderant, toothpaste, floss...a little package of necessities that help make life more pleasant? Toss in a couple candies, maybe a phone card...what do you think?

Most cruiselines don't allow open flames in any cabin...so probably not candles.

What about a gift certificate for the shop on board that they use??

Crew shops at crew store located away from public areas.

Read again, the poster typed candies, not candles. I need reading glasses, too!

• 5 weeks later...

Archived