public bus tickets Civa train stn to port entrance

Raisinette

Hello,

I'll be in Rome a few days ahead of a cruise this October and will then take the train to Civatavecchia. I've read here that when you get off the port shuttle bus there is a booth of some sort selling tickets for the local bus if you are heading TO the train station... I'll be going the opposite direction, so am wondering how/where would I buy a local bus ticket to go back to the port entrance (where I'll transfer to the port shuttle bus)? Is there a booth at the train station? I'll have luggage so prefer the local bus to the port entrance rather than walking. Or can I pay a cash fare when I get on the bus?

Thanks!

I found this youtube video that explains where to buy the bus ticket at Civi station. In summary, buy the bus ticket in the store inside the train station.

Price was 2 euro.

I found this youtube video that explains where to buy the bus ticket at Civi station. In summary, buy the bus ticket in the store inside the train station.

Price was 2 euro.

Thanks Dkata, this is quite clear. I hadn't thought of trying You Tube! :)

FWIW - We walked (2003 so for all I know the port gate could have moved since then) from the station to the port gate where we boarded a bus to our ship. The walk was pleasant along a wide concrete "boardwalk" as I recall. Seems like it was maybe 10 minutes? After the time on the relatively crowded train, I know we all enjoyed the fresh air and beautiful day. Of course we were there in April so it wasn't hot and we each had a roll aboard and a back pack which easily fit on top of the rollaboard so lugging our luggage wasn't hard. Your mileage of course may vary!

FWIW - We walked (2003 so for all I know the port gate could have moved since then) from the station to the port gate where we boarded a bus to our ship. The walk was pleasant along a wide concrete "boardwalk" as I recall. Seems like it was maybe 10 minutes? After the time on the relatively crowded train, I know we all enjoyed the fresh air and beautiful day. Of course we were there in April so it wasn't hot and we each had a roll aboard and a back pack which easily fit on top of the rollaboard so lugging our luggage wasn't hard. Your mileage of course may vary!

I've read here in other threads that the port entrance location has moved, so that the walk is now longer than it would have been 13 years ago.

I've read here in other threads that the port entrance location has moved, so that the walk is now longer than it would have been 13 years ago.

I stand corrected:D....and will correct myself, we were there in 2013....don't tell the hubby that I accidently made him 10 years older than he is!:eek::D

I did not watch the video. We were there on the 23rd. I walked from the train station to inside of the port. There is an information booth. There was a free bus to take you to the cruise ship buses. It's really weird. Once you got off that bus there was another bus you boarded to go to your ship. No signs. No information just a wing it kind of experience.

Ah - at last some CURRENT information - THANKS! So you walked from the train station to where the port buses are located. How long a walk was it? We did this walk several years ago pulling luggage, and it was LONG - probably at least 30 minutes. And there was no signage, just a bunch of people loading onto buses that took you closer to the ships which was about a 15 minute ride.

Ah - at last some CURRENT information - THANKS! So you walked from the train station to where the port buses are located. How long a walk was it? We did this walk several years ago pulling luggage, and it was LONG - probably at least 30 minutes. And there was no signage, just a bunch of people loading onto buses that took you closer to the ships which was about a 15 minute ride.

We did. I think it was less than a 15 minute walk from the train station to bus #1. That translates into I wasn't swearing we should have taken a taxi in my language. :) You will walk into the port area and just walk back to the information center. It didn't take very long. If my memory serves me right you just walk straight back to it. (Towards the right not the left. There is a road that loops around) At the information center DH walked in to ask about a shuttle bus. They informed us to get on the next bus. We asked the bus driver and he said that this was the correct bus. They literally took us to another bus stop where we had to wait for the Princess bus. You have to ask questions. No one seems to be willing to assist you. It is literally a bunch of people wondering around with their luggage. We saw people walking in all sorts of directions with their luggage.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this has confused me more than anything. When and where do you check in? I'm on Celebrity and was just planning on taking a cab to port from Rome. Now I'm reading about needing to take busses and getting off another bus that the cruise line runs and walking around with luggage wondering where to go.

Can someone please explain the process for me? I'm used to cruising from US ports, how is this different?

Thanks!

Reading this has confused me more than anything. When and where do you check in? I'm on Celebrity and was just planning on taking a cab to port from Rome. Now I'm reading about needing to take busses and getting off another bus that the cruise line runs and walking around with luggage wondering where to go.

Can someone please explain the process for me? I'm used to cruising from US ports, how is this different?

Thanks!

If you are taking a taxi or other private transportation, they will take you right to the ship. This thread is about using public transportation, e.g., the train. Clearly the train station doesn't let you off in front of your ship, so this discussion is about how to bridge that gap.

If you are taking a taxi or other private transportation, they will take you right to the ship. This thread is about using public transportation, e.g., the train. Clearly the train station doesn't let you off in front of your ship, so this discussion is about how to bridge that gap.

I get the part about not needing a train, but they say a bus from that station drops them off at the port. From there they had to find a bus to bring them to the ship. I wasn't sure if a private transfer brings you to that bus stop or to the ship, thanks.

I get the part about not needing a train, but they say a bus from that station drops them off at the port. From there they had to find a bus to bring them to the ship. I wasn't sure if a private transfer brings you to that bus stop or to the ship, thanks.

A private transfer or taxi takes you to your ship's berth. The public bus from the train station only takes you as far as a spot close to the port entrance. From there, these travelers need to use the free port shuttle to get to their actual ship's berth -- and Civitavecchia is a huge port.

It is still possible to walk from the train station to the nearest port entrance (McDonald's, Fort). However, that is no longer the main stop for the port shuttles, so you will have to take your chances that you will be able to flag down a passing shuttle going in the right direction. It sounds to me like RoadTripFanatic caught a shuttle going the opposite direction (i.e. away from the ship), which took them to the Info Point, which is now the terminus for the port shuttles, and where they want cruise ship passengers to go (if they don't have private transportation right to the ship).

The public bus from the train station will take you through town directly to the Info Point, which is about a mile from the train station (20-30 minute walk). You can also hire a taxi/minivan at the train station that I believe will take you all the way to the ship (ask them before getting on). This is a good option for people arriving around lunchtime, because the website for the public bus service says "from 11.50 am to 2.20 pm there is no service". :(

It is still possible to walk from the train station to the nearest port entrance (McDonald's, Fort). However, that is no longer the main stop for the port shuttles, so you will have to take your chances that you will be able to flag down a passing shuttle going in the right direction. It sounds to me like RoadTripFanatic caught a shuttle going the opposite direction (i.e. away from the ship), which took them to the Info Point, which is now the terminus for the port shuttles, and where they want cruise ship passengers to go (if they don't have private transportation right to the ship).

The public bus from the train station will take you through town directly to the Info Point, which is about a mile from the train station (20-30 minute walk). You can also hire a taxi/minivan at the train station that I believe will take you all the way to the ship (ask them before getting on). This is a good option for people arriving around lunchtime, because the website for the public bus service says "from 11.50 am to 2.20 pm there is no service". :(

"Flagging down" a passing shuttle bus (inside the port) is really hit or miss...and usually miss. The drivers (we actually asked one this question) are not supposed to pick-up or drop anyone within the port. Most follow the rules...but a few might take pity on a walking soul and stop. So if you do decide to walk into the port (from town) one should be prepared to make the long stroll all the way to your vessel. That being said, we enjoy our long walks inside the port, as this particular port has actually set up marked walkways that can get you to any pier. Compare this to most other ports (like Livorno) that prohibit passengers from walking.

Hank

Just to clarify - the port shuttle buses are not officially permitted to stop to let passengers ON or OFF at the pedestrian only southern port gate entrance at (Forte Michaelangelo) ?

Is this correct?

This southern port entrance is neither a MAIN shuttle stop or a a 'Request' stop and drivers therefore are not permitted to stop but sometimes, mostly, rarely or NEVER can they stop?

Edited by gary222

There is an intermediate stop for the shuttle, but it's on the other side of the fort, so it's another 5 minute walk in the direction of the cruise ship berths if you enter the port from that gate .

map_of_port_of_civitavecchia_eng.jpg

The stop is indicated on the street, and we caught the shuttle there the last time (but it was a port day so we didn't have luggage). I guess if the shuttle is already full, or if the driver just doesn't feel like stopping, they may just drive right by you. But they're supposed to stop.

Useful map - so if you're (and without luggage) coming from pier 12 and want to take a local public bus - let's say to Tarquinia from P.Vit Emm, and don't mind to walk just a little there would be no point not to get off the free port shuttle at the intermediate shuttle stops at FM?

Similarly, to take the train it's better to get off at the FM intermediate shuttle stop, walk out through the pedestrian entrance and then continue to the train station. Obviously if you dont like walking you wouldn't do that, but in terms of time, you'd arrive at the train station on foot long before you'd arrive if you remained on shuttle to the main shuttle terminus outside of the port gates and then boarded an almost immediately departing public bus to the train station?

In addition you'd have an advantage arriving at the train station earlier possibly avoiding increased numbers of cruisers lining up to buy tickets?

Edited by gary222

According to the website about the port shuttle service, it's a little complicated… The intermediate stops depend on the time of day:

- From 7 am to 7 pm (approximately)*

Cruise Terminal | Largo della Pace | Molo del Bicchiere

- From 11.30 am to 2.30 pm (approximately)*

Cruise Terminal | Bramante | Largo della Pace

*Shuttle buses will follow the timetables of arrival and departure of cruise boats.

nuove_fermate_delle_navette_4.jpg

Largo della Pace is the info point. Bramante and Molo del Bicchiere are basically the same place, next to the fortress, but the stop is called "Bramante" when the shuttle is heading out of the port, and it's called "Molo del Bicchiere" when the shuttle is heading toward the cruise ship terminals.

So… the shuttle will only drop you off at the fort (Bramante) between 11:30am and 2:30pm. Outside of those times, you have to ride it all the way to the info point, and then stay on, because the shuttles only stop at the fort (Molo del Bicchiere) on the way back to the ship.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Interesting - it's almost like the local bus company making the transfer between the Largo Della Pace port shuttle terminus and train station have cut a deal with the port authorities....

Edited by gary222

Yes, it's clear that they want people to pay for the bus, or pay for a taxi, or at the very least walk through the town (and maybe stop somewhere and spend some money) on the way to the train station.

Passengers want to get out of the port and out of Civitavecchia ASAP, and for years, Civitavecchia provided a free shuttle service helping people to do just that. I guess they realized how silly that was.

Not to mention that the pick up point was much closer to the train station. It wouldn't surprise me if the cruiselines didn't also tacitly agree to the change; after all, the added inconvenience might push some into taking THEIR overpriced transportation options into Rome rather than DIY on the train...