Sardinia Cagliari

lhuggi1

We'll be there in July and I agree there is not much out there. Seems to be a big beach destination. Since we are a family of red heads, we're not big all day beach fans. We're doing a tour for the 8 of us thru this company: http://www.secretsofsardinia.com/escape-cagliari-and-experience-the-stunning-teulada-mountain-village.html

They have been very responsive with communications and will include a short beach break at the end of the tour for the kids. I'll post a review/trip report when I come back.

We'll be there in July and I agree there is not much out there. Seems to be a big beach destination. Since we are a family of red heads, we're not big all day beach fans. We're doing a tour for the 8 of us thru this company: http://www.secretsofsardinia.com/escape-cagliari-and-experience-the-stunning-teulada-mountain-village.html

They have been very responsive with communications and will include a short beach break at the end of the tour for the kids. I'll post a review/trip report when I come back.

Thank you so much. I'll be there next April so not sure how warm it will be for the beach.

I'm going to check out your link now [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We had a similar lack of info problem when we visited Olbia two years ago.

On the CC Italy forum, use the "search this forum" box with the word Cagliari. All previous threads with this word will appear.

And whatsinport lists the usual sightseeing options, cruise ship calendar, map etc.

Hope this helps.

We had a similar lack of info problem when we visited Olbia two years ago.

On the CC Italy forum, use the "search this forum" box with the word Cagliari. All previous threads with this word will appear.

And whatsinport lists the usual sightseeing options, cruise ship calendar, map etc.

Hope this helps.

Thank you [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Nice beach and boat small city on little island. If I remember we took a little tour and they just showed us the beautiful beaches and houses when you could see them. Nice high end boats. A friend has family with summer house and it's a holiday getaway for those who have resources. She spent summers there as a kid. Swim and boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We're back from our cruise! We had a great time on our excursion. The owner/guide is a German expat who speaks fluent English and who definitely prefers the Mediterranean lifestyle. We had an air conditioned 9 passenger van. He met us at the terminal. We drove up into the hills in the interior, stopping to learn about the flora and fauna, then stopping in a small town for coffee. From there we went up to a goat farm/agriturisimo for a light lunch (included) of homemade cheese, sausage, bread, olives, and wine. The owner has many old Sardinian artifacts and photographs and we learned a bit about the culture, including shepherding tips. We looped down along the south coast on the way back to the ship for a stop at a small, sheltered beach for 2 hours. It was very windy on the island, but this cove was just fine. The water was crystal clear and the kids had a great time there. There was also a food truck where we picked up sausage and onion sandwiches, ice cream, and grilled veggies for the ride home. The ride there and back went by the salt marshes where we had a good view of the local flamingos. Very cool!

The port has a free shuttle to the terminal. It's not very long and I think mostly to keep tourists from wandering thru the industrial area.

Cagliari has some interesting churches and Roman ruins including an amphitheater which can only be viewed through the fence. Bastion St. Remy and the Elephant Gate are popular viewpoints and are walkable from the port, a bit uphill though. Tours will be available from the seafront where the port shuttle drops you off.

• 5 months later...

Any other ideas for Cagliari? We would love to just wander around without an organized tour. Are there restaurant recommendations? Or nice beaches close to the cruise terminal? We will be there at the end of April, so it probably won't be warm enough to go into the water. But we would still love to see the ocean and hang out in that area, if that is possible.

• 8 months later...

We also toured landscapes of Cagliari with Dirk from Secrets of Sardegna and had an amazing time.

It was the highlight of our Mediterranean cruise.

Dirk is incredibly knowledgeable and passionate about showing you these beautiful sights that you couldnt possibly with a ship's tour.

So very worth it !

I was thinking of going on a tour with Dirk, too. However, surprisingly, after much, much digging, I've found enough to do in our limited time in Cagliari (7 to 1:30, ugh!) to make me want to just explore the city and nearby areas. I want to see flamingos, but have had trouble nailing down just where they might be, and if they'll be there when we are (January; I know, it's weird!) Dirk says they likely will be there, but of course they ARE birds and will do and go where they want. I also want to see the salt pans, but at that time, it's possible they will be non-existent or covered up with tarps. I want to at least see Poetto beach (buses from Piazza Matteoti, maybe 10 minute walk from port; take euros for bus!) even though it will be deserted at that time of year. I want to see a lighthouse about 20 minutes' drive from the port. And of course, I want to visit the Bastione San Remy in the castello area of the city, plus the Santa Maria church in same area. I generally don't rush to look at churches, but this one looks pretty interesting (inside). There is a market, city walls, old churches, towers to climb, and a Roman amphitheater. The public transportation there looks great, although a bit confusing. There are scooter rentals and car rentals. If you'll be there longer than me, you may want to go see some old structures an hour from Cagliari (Barumini). There are murals in the town of San Sperate if you head north for 30 minutes. There's a food court in the shopping center not far from the port (La Rinascente). There's lots of interesting stuff in Cagliari and the rest of Sardinia, but I agree, there's not a lot of easily accessed info on it!

Here's a link to webcams in Sardinia. You may have to search under "Sardegna", as I don't know if this link takes you directly to the webcam showing the small port in Sardinia. (View early in the morning; I believe Italy is 6 hours later than the East Coast of the U.S.) Here's link: skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/sardegna/cagliari/porto-di-cagliari.html= cam

So for the person who posted about the shuttle: Would you happen to remember where it dropped you? Was it just outside the port, or near the big "Via Roma" road a little farther, or near a small park called Matteotti, where you can find a small tourist info center, plus public buses? Did the shuttle run fairly frequently and reliably? Free? Required or optional?

Here are notes I have for the closest beach (Poetto): (hopefully links will work, if not try www.ctmcagliari.it and ask for Eng version)

Poetto: CTM buses PF & PQ from Piazza Matteotti run at least every 30 minutes. 1€, 7 km, 15 minutes. Beach long; several stops. S end best because of view of headlands. Schedules from Via Roma & Matteotti, (but not sure which side of park) to Poetto:

www.ctmcagliari.it/linee_orari.php…

You'll see a little map. Cruise ships dock at the pier called "Molo Rinascita," to the left of where the buses come.

• 3 months later...
On 10/8/2018 at 12:27 AM, roothy123 said:

I want to see flamingos, but have had trouble nailing down just where they might be, and if they'll be there when we are (January; I know, it's weird!) Dirk says they likely will be there, but of course they ARE birds and will do and go where they want. I also want to see the salt pans, but at that time, it's possible they will be non-existent or covered up with tarps.

To see fenicotteri (flamingos) you gotta travel South-West of the city down the highway. The best would be to rent a car for the day or ask anyone to drive you around (direction Pula) - you get to pass both salt pans and dozens of birds. The drive is totally worth it as you can visit ancient excavation site of Nora with beautiful mosaic floors. Plus the scenery of course.

Alternatively go to Poetto and there, between the beach and the city you get the same - salt pans and flamingos. You're gonna love it. Got any other questions ask away

Thank you for the information.  We just got back from our cruise 2 weeks ago, and we DID rent a car for part of our very short day there (7 AM through back-on-board time of 1:30).  First, at 7 I took a bus up to the top of El Castello and walked down to the Bastione de San Remy, looking at things along the short walk (viewpoint near non-working ascensore, crypt under the altar in the Santa Maria Assunte cathedral, etc.)  When I got down to the terrace at San Remy, the sun had just come up and I was thrilled to get an amazing picture of El Castello.  Then I walked down, map and phone in hand so as not to get lost) to the ARST bus station and McDonalds near the port to meet my husband.  We walked a block or so to the Carbustec car rental place (excellent company!) and set out in a Smart Car.  The suspension was awful (but perhaps they all are) and my husband's back really flared up that night, but other than that, we had a wonderful time.  We visited, all quickly, as we didn't have much time, the lighthouse down on the peninsula (Sant Elia), the salt pans visitor center, and Poetto Beach.  While driving back from Poetto, I spotted fenicotteri in the water.  There were also a few white egrets.  This was very early January, and while there weren't lots and lots of flamingos, I was thrilled.  My husband pulled over so I could take some pictures.  So here's a picture, and I'll also attach a few more too just to show you some of what we saw. 

Loved our short day in Cagliari. 

1568 Castello sunrise fr terrace Bastione San Remy.jpg

1619 Thrilled to see flamingos in salt water way to Molentarg.jpg

1584 Smart Car & Lighthouse.jpg

P1010937 Crypt w martyrs Maria Assunte Cath.jpg

1553 Non working ascensore Panoramica overlook.jpg

Edited by roothy123
  • Like 1

Glad you found the birds and also glad that you had the good weather! Eventhough we're close to Africa geographically, it can be very windy and it also rains a lot in winter.

Strangely enough I've never heard of Carbustec, I only see the major ones at the airport and ads all over the city for the international brands. Our roads are not perfect so I know what you mean about the sore back

On 1/23/2019 at 2:00 AM, roothy123 said:

First, at 7 I took a bus up to the top of El Castello and walked down to the Bastione de San Remy,

If you ever come back, fly in etc you're gonna love the nice improvised flea market that happens on Sundays. Lots of good stuff can be found there and you can also bargain for some good prices.

Also, I'd recommend to visit San Benedetto farmers' market - it's the largest in Europe fish market, recently they've installed a nice little stand with freshly fried seafood and fish if you're into these things. Fishermen are also friendly (photo below).

All in all there's lots to see here, ice-cream is great, food is fresh, many local products can only be tasted here.

Glad you liked your 'teaser' visit!

san-benedetto.jpg

On 6/5/2017 at 4:50 AM, lhuggi1 said:

Looking tips and advice for this port

I can't seem to find much

Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi. We did the tour of that town by our own. The port is not far from the city center. We went up to the old town and got in the main cathedral, visited their art gallery, took pictures from the high point. Then took a regular bus and went to the beach. Had a dinner by the beach at the fish restaurant, relaxed on the beach and went back to the ship. 

It was a nice day!