Alaska Cruise EXPERTS - Please Quickly Help Me - WIFE'S BIRTHDAY!!!!

BigCruiseFunNC

So my old account here is gone (darn) and I made this new account, I've been on 14 cruises before but NEVER Alaska and need some quick answers. You don't have to write a book, just looking for help before I book, buying this today for my wife. =) I know I can "search" but many posts are very old so I wanted to ask here, sorry about that. :hearteyes:

1) Going on the new Norwegian Bliss next year (2018) - What's the best month to go (June, July)? We can only go those months because the kids are home from college.

2) We love the Haven and want to stay in a room there again, (BUT) I noticed they have AFT facing cabins, then you have to walk to the Haven. Should we book AFT for Alaska or just a normal side cabin? We had an AFT cabin before and LOVED it!

3) If several of you do suggest NOT GOING AFT would you get left or right side of the ship??

4) How many days before the cruise should we stay in Seattle?

5) Any other suggestions?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

I love aft cabins, especially for Alaska. Leaving Glacier Bay, Skagway, and well, any of the ports, is so enjoyable sitting on our aft balcony and having a drink or snack. Especially if you can get a corner aft - that way you have greater than a 180 degree view! I don't know if you are going to Glacier Bay or not, but one of our favorite things to do is be on deck going into the bay and while at the Margerie Glacier, but then returning to our cabin and have a snack while leaving the Bay. The views are incredible!

Thanks so far guys this is the trip.

Date Cruise Ports Arrive Depart

Sat, Jun 16, 2018 Seattle, Washington (EMBARK) --- 5:00 pm

Sun, Jun 17, 2018 At Sea --- ---

Mon, Jun 18, 2018 Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 am 3:00 pm

Tue, Jun 19, 2018 Juneau, Alaska 7:00 am 1:30 pm

Cruise Sawyer Glacier --- ---

Wed, Jun 20, 2018 Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 5:30 pm

Thu, Jun 21, 2018 At Sea --- ---

Fri, Jun 22, 2018 Victoria, British Columbia 4:00 pm 10:00 pm

Sat, Jun 23, 2018 Seattle, Washington (DISEMBARK) 8:00 am ---

Thanks so far guys this is the trip.

Date Cruise Ports Arrive Depart

Sat, Jun 16, 2018 Seattle, Washington (EMBARK) --- 5:00 pm

Sun, Jun 17, 2018 At Sea --- ---

Mon, Jun 18, 2018 Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 am 3:00 pm

Tue, Jun 19, 2018 Juneau, Alaska 7:00 am 1:30 pm

Cruise Sawyer Glacier --- ---

Wed, Jun 20, 2018 Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 5:30 pm

Thu, Jun 21, 2018 At Sea --- ---

Fri, Jun 22, 2018 Victoria, British Columbia 4:00 pm 10:00 pm

Sat, Jun 23, 2018 Seattle, Washington (DISEMBARK) 8:00 am ---

I would pick a cruise with Glacier Bay (it is never missed). Sawyer Glacier has been missed quite a bit last year and this year. Last year, the ships didn't make it until August. This year, only a few ships have made it in July. Are there other ships you are considering? Considering it is your only glacier on the trip?????? They may substitute Endicott Arm if that is accessible.... It seems like cruise ships put their "largest ships" on inferior routes. Your times in Juneau is very restrictive. I would pick a different itinerary. Sorry.

I realize that you are trying to surprise your wife and want to book today, but for me (a wife!) I would want to be involved in the planning and decision making. With that in mind, here is my 2 cents...or maybe just a little more. ;)

• Don't choose an Alaska cruise for the ship...choose the best itinerary instead.
  • I agree about trying to see Glacier Bay. We did a 14-day cruise on the NCL Sun in May and had three glacier viewing days on the itinerary. Endicott Arm was substituted for Tracy Arm due to ice and it was so foggy that we couldn't see Hubbard Glacier at all. Out of the three, Glacier Bay was the only place that we actually saw a large glacier.
  • Consider a cruise that leaves from Vancouver instead of Seattle so that you cruise on the eastern side of Vancouver Island. It is more scenic, you will avoid some of the rougher waters, and usually the itinerary is a little better since you won't have to make the stop in Victoria.
  • Even better than a Vancouver round trip (IMHO) is a one-way cruise so you can spend a few days in Vancouver AND a few more days doing a land based tour in Alaska.

Alaska cruises are not cheap and are often a once in a lifetime trip so take your time and don't rush into booking without doing a little more research.

Dont really understand those replies but the cruise and date I got was bad?

June 16 - June 23

Maybe what you should do is surprise your wife and say "An Alaskan cruise" and then the two of you can research different ports, different glaciers, chances of seeing glaciers that you pick so you are better informed, best times in port, excursions and what month to book for those excursions". Alaska is very different than the Caribbean. Talk about a possible land trip with the cruise.

If this is going to be your only cruise in Alaska - I would not choose the cruise you picked.

Let your wife be part of the planning in picking the ship, route and month.

4) How many days before the cruise should we stay in Seattle?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

We arrived Seattle past noon 2 days before the cruise and it was enough for us to visit its famous sites and restaurants. It was a relaxing pre-cruise stay. A day before the cruise would also be probably fine if you arrive in the morning.

Good for you!!! I think it is amazing that you will surprise your wife with an Alaskan cruise. She WILL love it. They are my favorite :-) Since you have been on many cruises before you both will know how to pack, dress in layers and gloves, umbrella, hat, WATER-PROOF, light-weight jacket are the main essentials.

We will be going again May/June 2018 on the best 14 day cruise rt out of Seattle with Holland on the Zaandam. Your itinerary sounds wonderful and you will see many great spots. We always book midship and lower decks-less apt to get seasick. Plenty spots to see scenery outside.

We typically go into Seattle and stay two extra nights. We have stayed near Pioneer Square and been happy, stayed Downtown and been happy and this time we have booked a small place for half the price of an hotel with Airbnb.

I have great recommendations for private transportation for Seattle, as well as fun things to do in ports. Feel free to email me if interested in more info. Compson351 @ cox. net

You will get plenty of good info here as well but it seems a few posts are causing doubts for you, for that I feel sad. YOUR dates, and choice of itinerary are awesome...enjoy and Happy Birthday to your wife :cool:

Alaska is our favorite destination....11th cruise is coming up this Friday. I have lots of posts about Alaska on my blog...http://www.zest4travel.wordpress.com Maybe you can find some information in there that will help you with your decision. Alaska is amazing...we haven't had a bad trip yet. I even have a pros/cons post on the different glaciers.