Suggestions for short day, repeat visitors

oceanseagle12

We are a group of 8, and will be porting here on the Allure of the Seas, scheduled for 7AM- 2 PM. Six of us have ported here at least a couple times, so have toured he ports and walked around Old San Juan. We have a beach day at Labadee, and one beach day is usually enough for us. Any suggestions for things to do in such a short window? Any must dos that we may have missed previously?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are a group of 8, and will be porting here on the Allure of the Seas, scheduled for 7AM- 2 PM. Six of us have ported here at least a couple times, so have toured he ports and walked around Old San Juan. We have a beach day at Labadee, and one beach day is usually enough for us. Any suggestions for things to do in such a short window? Any must dos that we may have missed previously?

Go Cart Racing - Winner gas the honour to buy the round of drinks?

https://www.k1speed.com/canovanas-location.html

Why not see an other part of the island? I have not gone east yet but went to Luquillo and the kiosks after the rain forest. Well worth it!

With such a short stay, I’m wondering if there’s enough time. Also, I’ve read that San Juan has recovered well. Does anyone know the condition of these areas?

There are several interesting museums (usually closed on Mondays) and a couple of free tours that may interest you.

El Capitolio (houses the Puerto Rico legislature) offers free guided tours in English & Spanish Mon-Fri between 8:30 am – 5 pm. You can call & make a reservation at 787-721-5200, ext.301 or by emailing at solicitud.turismo@oslpr.org or just show up and sign in. You do have to go through metal detector and security checkpoint inside. You can get to El Capitolio on the free green trolley.

There are also free guided tours of La Fortaleza (governor’s residence/office) on Calle Fortaleza between 9am-4pm. These are walk-in and you sign up at the Palacio Rojo (last building on the left – painted red – will have flags of PR & US outside).Adults need to show picture ID.

Casa Museo Felisa Rincon de Gautier on Caleta de San Juan(in front of La Puerta de San Juan) is open Mon-Fri from 9-4 and Sat from 10-2. Felisa Rincon de Gautier was mayor of San Juan for 22 years.

Museo Casa Blanca (near El Morro) is open Tuesday – Sunday from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & 1:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. This is a self-guided tour. Juan Ponce de Leon’s family lived there (he died before it was completed).

Museo de las Americas in Cuartel Ballaja (near El Morro) has permanent and rotating exhibits. They are closed on Mondays and there is an entrance free.

If you would like to arrange a private tour, I highly recommend arranging one with Puerto Rico Historic Building Drawing Society. Their website is www.prhbds.org. They also have a very active page on one of the social media platforms that I think I am not allowed to mention here. I have taken several of their “show up tours” and they are fun, educational, and informative. I have not yet participated in one of the private tours, but know people who have done so and they recommend them. One of their private tours (I think $25/pp,not certain if there is a minimum # of participants) is Old San Juan Best Kept Secrets. The description is as follows: “We will be exploring Old San Juan, a 500-year-old walled city that harbors secret corners and little-known spots full of charm and steeped in history, that remain unnoticed to the casual visitor. As you walk through Old San Juan’s blue cobblestoned streets, accompanied by a knowledgeable local architect, we'll be learning about how the city was built in this rocky island jutting out to the sea, observing the urban layout,constructive methods and architectural details of the Spanish colonial buildings and defensive structures. In this 2.5-hour stroll you'll experience historical architecture with an insider, not just as a tourist, since we will be visiting private residences and places with limited access. You'll have a chance to peer into dungeons, wonder at frescoed chapels, and climb rooftops to explore hidden towers, basque in secluded Spanish patios, and learn about the fascinating historical characters and events that shaped the city, as we delve into the mysteries of this quintessential Spanish Caribbean stronghold.”

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2018 at 11:04 AM, nextcruiseis said:

There are several interesting museums (usually closed on Mondays) and a couple of free tours that may interest you.

El Capitolio (houses the Puerto Rico legislature) offers free guided tours in English & Spanish Mon-Fri between 8:30 am – 5 pm. You can call & make a reservation at 787-721-5200, ext.301 or by emailing at solicitud.turismo@oslpr.org or just show up and sign in. You do have to go through metal detector and security checkpoint inside. You can get to El Capitolio on the free green trolley.

There are also free guided tours of La Fortaleza (governor’s residence/office) on Calle Fortaleza between 9am-4pm. These are walk-in and you sign up at the Palacio Rojo (last building on the left – painted red – will have flags of PR & US outside).Adults need to show picture ID.

Casa Museo Felisa Rincon de Gautier on Caleta de San Juan(in front of La Puerta de San Juan) is open Mon-Fri from 9-4 and Sat from 10-2. Felisa Rincon de Gautier was mayor of San Juan for 22 years.

Museo Casa Blanca (near El Morro) is open Tuesday – Sunday from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. & 1:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. This is a self-guided tour. Juan Ponce de Leon’s family lived there (he died before it was completed).

Museo de las Americas in Cuartel Ballaja (near El Morro) has permanent and rotating exhibits. They are closed on Mondays and there is an entrance free.

If you would like to arrange a private tour, I highly recommend arranging one with Puerto Rico Historic Building Drawing Society. Their website is www.prhbds.org. They also have a very active page on one of the social media platforms that I think I am not allowed to mention here. I have taken several of their “show up tours” and they are fun, educational, and informative. I have not yet participated in one of the private tours, but know people who have done so and they recommend them. One of their private tours (I think $25/pp,not certain if there is a minimum # of participants) is Old San Juan Best Kept Secrets. The description is as follows: “We will be exploring Old San Juan, a 500-year-old walled city that harbors secret corners and little-known spots full of charm and steeped in history, that remain unnoticed to the casual visitor. As you walk through Old San Juan’s blue cobblestoned streets, accompanied by a knowledgeable local architect, we'll be learning about how the city was built in this rocky island jutting out to the sea, observing the urban layout,constructive methods and architectural details of the Spanish colonial buildings and defensive structures. In this 2.5-hour stroll you'll experience historical architecture with an insider, not just as a tourist, since we will be visiting private residences and places with limited access. You'll have a chance to peer into dungeons, wonder at frescoed chapels, and climb rooftops to explore hidden towers, basque in secluded Spanish patios, and learn about the fascinating historical characters and events that shaped the city, as we delve into the mysteries of this quintessential Spanish Caribbean stronghold.”

Thank You for posting this info. 

Very helpful.

On 9/12/2018 at 7:26 PM, oceanseagle12 said:

With such a short stay, I’m wondering if there’s enough time. Also, I’ve read that San Juan has recovered well. Does anyone know the condition of these areas?

I just came back from a quick weekend trip and San Juan on the outside was fine, east was ok.