Chac-Chi: Resort next to Costa Maya Pier (merged)

mc'smom

You might ask this in the Costa Maya thread of the Ports of Call section of the message board but, from what I understand from what I've read so far, what you are describing is part of the public facilities at the pier.

If you are talking about the large pool area right at the pier......yes, this is for anyone to use. It was built for the cruise ship passengers use. The pool is quite large (right on the ocean) and there are alot of shops and places to eat. Music playing....etc. Its a nice area to spend the day if you don't want to go out and explore the island.

It is the area to the right of the pier there was a wall and it said private property, there were a few people laying on chairs and no one else around them... The tiki huts were on stilts ?

Once off the pier ( near the pools and bars ) you could not see this resort unless you were back on the ship or the pier itself. ?

I know what you are referring to.......I don't think it's a resort. When I was there a year ago it was nothing more than a bar with some grass umbrellas. We took a walk down the beach further and saw the little "huts" but they looked like they had been abandoned years ago (they were falling apart). If it had been a resort, it definitely was let go some time ago. Looks like someone kept just the bar and let everything go. It was a great place to snorkel.

Both sides of the pier are part of Costa Maya. It is only active when cruiseships are there. As someone mentioned, it was built specifically as a stop for cruisers.

And the group that built it owns lots of land around it and has plans for all kinds of development.

Don't think it is a resort - at least not yet.

We were once told that this area was for private use by the ships crew if they had some time off. Don't know if this was true or not. This may have once been part of the pier area in the early stages and now that they have finished the pier area it may be left to rot.

Oh my gosh those photos are awesome!!!!

Yes that is the resort I am speaking of, there were people sitting int hose chairs when I was on the Miracle 2 weeks ago...

So I thought maybe it was a resort...

thanks for the info

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Hey a fellow Miracle cruiser! ... we go in a month ... wanted to ask you how the tendering went in Belize? ... did you need tender tickets? ... how did they hand them out? We're tying to get off quickly for a private tour ... any tips?

Thx,

-Bob

I was just reading the boards and I learned that it is owned by the people who used to own all of the area where the cruise ships built. Once the cruise ships built their own area they blocked off access to passengers. You can get back there by going through to the back of the port area. The signs will say, be ware and keep out etc. but the people who run the place are supposedly really nice and accomodating. They serve food and drinks. Some passengers have been going there and had a great time. Hope this info helps we are planning to stop there while on the Liberty March 12th sailing.

I was just reading the boards and I learned that it is owned by the people who used to own all of the area where the cruise ships built. Once the cruise ships built their own area they blocked off access to passengers. You can get back there by going through to the back of the port area. The signs will say, be ware and keep out etc. but the people who run the place are supposedly really nice and accomodating. They serve food and drinks. Some passengers have been going there and had a great time. Hope this info helps we are planning to stop there while on the Liberty March 12th sailing.

This was my understanding as well. Getting access seemed to be the hardest part. Hopefully they will be able to accomodate more cruisers. It seemed like a much nicer beach than the cruiseships

Zydeco....a picture truly is worth more than a thousand words.

Su

zydeococruiser your pictures always rock. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the ones you had of the Valor.

Question - in your first post of pictures, the third picture in the ship category - what beach is that? That looks exactly like what we'll want that day. Anyone know and also, does anyone know if they have bar service for drinks - cokes, beer, etc.

Question - in your first post of pictures, the third picture in the ship category - what beach is that? That looks exactly like what we'll want that day. Anyone know and also, does anyone know if they have bar service for drinks - cokes, beer, etc.

It is the "resort" in question for this thread. It is on the right side of the pier, the cruiseship "port" is on the left. The cruiseship port built a wall, so there was no access to it (the first picture). IF you can find a way to get to it, there may or may not be anyone there to help you.

Su

A few years ago, I walked over to that resort. Ater exiting the Costa Maya gates, I turned right and walked past the warning signs. I had a couple of beers at the beach bar and snorkeled out by the rocks.

We will be stopping in Costa Maya in a couple of weeks, and I was thinking of trying to walk over there again.

However, if they have closed off the path with the warning signs, I doubt that I would want to walk a mile out and around to get there.

I guess that I could jump off the pier and swim over. But, then I'd still have to walk all the way back.

Mark H

Thank you for your replies! How rude and cocky of the cruise ships to build a wall there. That seems to totally defeat the purpose, but that's just me. That resort looks BEAUTIFUL and it looks like it would be totally relaxing and just what we would want. Do you know if you can take a cab there or do you absolutely have to walk?

You can take a cab there or you can get there by Golf Cart or jeep . The golf carts are situated just out the main gate to the left. The jeeps you can rent from somewhere inside the pier. There is no need to walk.

Cool. Are the golf carts something you rent also or is it sort of like a taxi service? Probably a stupid question but I'd like to know so we can plan to go there because it's GORGEOUS.

Yes you rent the golf carts...I wish we would have known about it when we were on our cruise, would have loved to go just to give our business to the owner, we thought it looked nice but we were told by the pier van/(taxi) people it was deserted (the vans are contracted by cruiseships, taxis in the village are not), I don't like to see the little guy get taken by big business, thats actually why we went into town instead of staying in Port Disney.

Great, thanks so much scootepie66.

I'm going to talk to my BF about this tonight and then bring it up to the rest of our group - I know they'll be up for hanging out on the beach (as long as there's alcohol, they will come) and that one looks awesome. We could bring him some nice business that day :)

Hi Lisa,

Hey a fellow Miracle cruiser! ... we go in a month ... wanted to ask you how the tendering went in Belize? ... did you need tender tickets? ... how did they hand them out? We're tying to get off quickly for a private tour ... any tips?

Thx,

-Bob

Sorry about jsut getting back to you Bob,

In Belize the tendering did not require tickets.. Only in Cozumel....

The tender ride is about 15 minutes, we arrived in Belize about 8:15 am ... and we were at the pier before 10 am .... and really just took our time getting there, In fact our tender was not even full.....

Good luck and enjoy..

Archived