Snorkeling equipment

gar63

My dh and I are going to Cozumel and we have never been snorkeling before. We are wanting to try it out. We really don't want to buy our own equipment, since we won't really have much need for it afterwards. We were wondering how clean the snorkels are? Do they do anything to sterilize them? How do we know that they are clean??? The thought of putting my mouth on something that someone elses mouth has been on is really gross!!!!!

Thanks!
Patty

From my experience, they put the snorkels in a pail full of liquid after each use. The liquid is supposed to be bleach, but who knows.

My wife and I own all of own snorkeling equipment for just the reason you stated.

'89 Commodore/Caribe I
'92 NCL/Westward
'96 NCL/Seaward
'99 RCI/Rhapsody Of The Seas
'00 RCI/Legend Of The Seas
'01 Princess/Ocean Princess
'02 RCI/Vision Of The Seas
'03 Princess/Sea Princess, back-to-back
'03 Princess/Sea Princess
'04 Hawaii, 2 weeks on land

TAHITIAN PRINCESS 02/11/05

you can go to a place like BJs warehouse or Sam's Club and get a mask and snorkel for about $30. It's certainly worth it because of chance of picking up just about anything from a "public" snorkel. They take up very little room in your suitcase and you just might get hooked on snorkeling and use them many times again.
Rob

Celebrity Summit-04/04
Celebrity Galaxy-3/02
Carnavil Ecstasy- 01/01
RCL Nordic Empress- 4/00
Carnival Fantasy- 5/99
NCL Westward- 4/96

Buy your own. One of the trips I was on told me they disinfect the mask and tubes. I put my hand in the water they used and smelled it, it did not smell like bleach. Also if they do use bleach it is after they are done for the day. If you are in the afternoon group then the bleach may not have been used for that group. Their laws are differnt then the States or Canadian law in this regard. I always bring my own mask and snorkle. They can provide the vest and flippers. Bring a sanitizing wipe and wipe anything you want. They will be upset but give them a tip and they will be happy.

MS Maasdam 6 - 17 Feb 05

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;02;5;07;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Until I sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03
Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03
Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

I always bring my own mask, snorkle, and fins, too. I'm a SCUBA diver, so I paid more for really good equipment. I've seen some pretty cheap stuff at Walmart, though. I've also seen the excursion equipment, and some of it looks pretty old and ratty. I'm very particular about my mask not leaking, too, which is another reason I bring my own. Buy your own, and...who knows? You may use it on another cruise!

I would purchase my own, just for the health reason. LLBean had wonderful set that came in a little backpak carryone that was only about 30.00 and if you have an LLBEan card there's no shipping fee!

If you are traveling on the Western Caribbean, you also stop in GC which has wonderful snorkeling so you will get your money's worth just on the cruise - and not have to worry about who was sucking on that equipment before you [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Good Luck

I bought snorkels and masks for us before our last cruise. We had a couple of sets 15 years ago but they weren't in good shape.

If you don't want to purchase and are afraid of germs, bring along a little bottle of alcohol and cotton balls to sterilize the mouthpiece.

Chankanaab, the state park in Cozumel, was great. Snorkeling equipment was inexpensive to rent there--a lot cheaper than paying to go on an excursion.

Archived