The New megaships

kruisey

Are they big and flashy like a Fantasy world or Las Vagas style OK for 7 days but no longer? Or are they build for persons from all life styles ? The Sun and Dawn suite me fine...but then I am an old fashioned gal icon_smile.gif

I believe the mega ships can offer something for everyone. Our first cruise was on the Sea Princess, and we enjoyed the ship very much. Good size. But then, we've sailed the Zuiderdam and Coral Princess and enjoyed those ships, too. A few more places to go, and lots of room to wander around. I'd say give one of them a try. That's the only way you'll know for sure how it fits your cruising style.

'Vegas Jim

Have been cruising for several years as you can see. We were always small-medium ship folks. In fact we used to point at the Grand Princess when we would see her and laugh, saying it was just too big for us. We have now cruised on the Grand, the Golden and leave in 38 days for the new Caribbean Princess. We find the Grand class ships to be great. Never felt crowded or lost or that the ship seemed too large. Hope this helps.

Tony

Starward 4/1987

Festivale 11/1988

Starward 4/1989

Tropicale 6/1998

Rhapsody of the Seas 5/1999

Veendam 10/1999

Norwegian Wind 4/2000

Maasdam 11/2000

Elation 5/2001

Veendam 1/2001

Norwegian Sky 5/2002

Golden Princess 11/2002

Ecstasy 2/2003

Zuiderdam 4/2003

Grand Princess 9/2003

Rhapsody of the Seas 11/2003

Caribbean Princess 5/2004

Sun Princess 12/2004

I am sold on the Grand class. It is exactly as they say. "Big ship, small ship feel".

7 Days on The Star Princess OCTOBER,24,2004

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=10>

<param name="day" value=24>

<param name="hour" value=05>

</applet>

It is a generalization but in our book, newer is better and bigger is better. That does require a bit of explanation, the cruise industry is evolving, there is a reason the trend is to more options and that is most easily done on bigger ships. In general newer ships have more features, more creature comforts and bigger more uniform cabins. What is much more valuable in terms of actual passenger comfort is space ratio. The new Diamond and Saphire are more or less 116,000 tons and sail about 2600 pax, the Carribean is more or less 116,000 and sails with 3120 pax. Same ship, 500 more people which is about 25% more bodies.. so the passenger space ratio is much lower.

Mega ships are floating amusement parks. Smaller ships are county fairs, both have appeal but there is more to do on the bigger ones, which is good even if you aren't doing it because the people doing the stuff aren't where you are.

<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>

Diamond Princess 05/04

Mercury 06/02

Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98

Legend o.t. Seas 09/95

<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>

Diamond Princess 04/04

Sea Princess 01/02

Vision o.t. Seas 04/02

Star Princess 12/02<FONT color=red>

West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>

Ecstacy 09/01

Vision o.t. Seas 10/02

<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>

Century 12/97

<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>

Century 9/96

For us, we really didn't see any difference as far as the wait staff or stewards or officers. What we did icon_wink.gif like was the ability to go to various venues at night after dinner. That was a definite plus! icon_wink.gif Also, because the megas are larger didn't necessarily mean there were tons of people milling around. It was quite nice.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

More venues in the evening seems great.Like to get that 'cosy' feeling while on board...thats what I was thinking about when I started this post...and that I wouldnot get lost in mass of shining metal and bright lights. icon_smile.gif

Archived