Chair Hogs

SchoolBob

Help me understand something. If I go out on deck, and hang around and see that someone has not come back to get their stuff in say 20 minutes, I will be moving their towel myself. What's the issue here? They come back an hour later and see theri stiff lying on the deck. I don't care. What are they going to do. Is this rude: probably. However, it is more offensive to "reserve" a char for an entire day.

5/8 Caribbean Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Just back this week off the Dawn. Perfect Caribbean weather all week.

No chair hogs noticed.....or at least there were always chairs available. We were only at sea one day, but lots of sun bathers in the afternoon each day.

09/87 Old Rotterdam
10/89 Noordam
9/90 Noordam
9/92 Star Princess (old)
4/94 Regal Princess
3/04 Dawn Princess

hmm. That certainly is a tough one. I am not sure. I guess I will have to use my best judgment in deciding whose stuff I am going to remove. This will be my first cruise so I am not sure what to expect. Everything I have read thus far, has lead me to believe that this is a serious problem. I just wanted to see why people have qualms about removing others' belongings who are obvious offenders.

5/8 Caribbean Princess
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

I don't think giving them only 20 minutes is long enough. An hour, maybe. After all they could be in the pool, bathroom, lunch, etc.

If you do take over the chair after only 20 minutes I would be prepared to give it back if they come back soon. But if you know it has been at least one hour, then by all means move the stuff and sit down.

rjack22

Jubilee 08/11/01

[img]http://www.webdeveloper.com/animations/bnifiles/cat_ani_1.gif[/img]

I would go for the 1 hour. They may be eating, etc. but if it was me sitting in the chair and wanted to go to have lunch I would remove my things so someone else can have the chair. But not all people are like that. I have been known to want a chair and if the towel is still there on the chair I will remove it and sit down.

Marilyn

See that's the whole thing. If they are going to go eat, then they don't need the chair.

5/8 Caribbean Princess

My husband and I were talking about this issue while we were on the Grand last month. I told him of the chair hog rumors. It never was a problem for us since we liked to sit on our own balcony or we like to walk around when we are on deck.

He said something that totally cracked me up.
"I just don't understand why anyone would want to sit and watch other people swim. What's the attraction?"

He was serious and I still giggle when I think about it...

I think the time limit should be 30 mins. If someone needs to go to the bathroom, or go get a drink from the bar, that is fine. And that would be enough time for a nice swim also. Going to lunch? Not ok. Take your stuff and let someone else have your chair. I don't know if I will be brave enough to move someone's stuff, but hopefully, the staff will do it for me.

WooHoo, cruisin' again in May 2004!

As far as chair hogging...I think too atleast 30 minutes. We do go get lunch at the buffet and just bring it back to our chairs and eat by the pool. So no, we're never gone for more then 30 minutes.

Kim
Dawn Princess
Regal Princess
Grand Princess
Mercury - Celebrity
Windward - NCL
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000[/img]

This is worrying me a little bit. I think it is great the chair hogs are dealt with. With the heated pools on Princess it is nothing for me to spend an hour going from pool to hot tub. I usually pick a chair back away from the pool so I wouldn't see someone moving my stuff. Which brings up another point I leave my my glasses on the chair while i'm swimming. I'd be extremely upset if someone moved my belongings while I was swimming and broke my glasses!!

I think it is easy to see the chair hogs by the one shoe per chair or similar tricks but if someone has their book, towel, shirt, shoes, GLASSES on the chair I think that would be going too far.

Jeez, now I've got to monitor my time in the pool [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Scott

Aww the wonderful Chair Hogs. That has to be one thing that I let get to me too much. This one time I noticed this huge family that would reserve all the great chairs next to the pool (well, that's the ones I like) every day. So, I saw this one empty but w/ a towel on it for a while, so I just sat myself down. The lady had a tizzy fit and said it was for her husband. I said I'll get up as soon as he comes back. I kid you not I was there for over 2 hours and no sign of him. They did this every day, like they owned them or something.

Boy, do I feel better now. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If I'm in the pool, I just keep an eye on my chair. If I go to lunch, I pick up my stuff and leave, so someone else may enjoy the chair.

But, that's just me.

<h3><font color=orange>[i]Yvonne[/i]

<h6>
<font color=darkblue>
Norwegian [i]Skyward[/i] "Our Honeymoon" 10/88 ~ S. Caribbean
Royal Caribbean [i]Splendour of the Seas[/i] 3/98 ~ W. Caribbean Circle
Royal Caribbean [i]Grandeur of the Seas[/i] 3/15/02 ~ W. Caribbean Circle
Princess Cruise [i]Star Princess[/i] 5/03/03 ~ Mexican Riviera

Next Cruise ~ Princess Cruise [I]Diamond Princess[/I] 4/24/04 ~ Mexican Riviera

Chair hogs are a strange bunch - they think because they paid for a cruise a chair by the pool comes with it - WRONG - there are not as many chairs as there are people on any ship, any cruise - The real chair hogs get a paperback from the ship library and a cheap set of sunglasses and get up at 6 am and deposit them on a chair thinking this is their chair for the day, including lunch, breakfast, afternoon naps, etc. WRONG - I cannot believe that anyone needs a chair for the entire day - they would be burnt to a crisp if they laid in them all day. Please let those who would like them, use them.

NCL PRIDE OF AMERICA Oct. 2004
SUN PRINCESS 2004 Caribbean
REGAL PRINCESS 2003 Europe
GOLDEN PRINCESS 2002 Canada New England
SUN PRINCESS 2002 Panama Canal
SUN PRINCESS 2002 Mexico
DAWN PRINCESS 2001 Caribbean
DAWN PRINCESS 2001 Caribbean
SEA PRINCESS 2001 Alaska
REGAL PRINCESS 2000 Mexico
REGAL PRINCESS 1999 Panama Canal
PACIFIC PRINCESS 1999 Europe
SUN PRINCESS 1998 Caribbean
ROYAL PRINCESS 1996 Panama Canal

Ok, I agree with the majority of posters.

I would relocate a chair hog if:

It had been 30 minutes, I see them go to lunch, no one looks at me funny as I stand over the chair and look around.

I also think it depends on what is there to be removed.

Towel only.... Yes

Towel and ships library book... Yes

Magazine "Aggrivated Assault Monthly".... No.

Size XXXXL Karate Outfit... No.

I am not chicken but am willing to move on to easier chair hog prey.

[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 05/04
Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98
Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02
Vision o.t. Seas 04/02
Star Princess 12/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
Vision o.t. Seas 10/02
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

Yes, I agree, I hate going out to the pool at 9:30 - 10:00 (Geez...it's vacation, I'd like to sleep in) and see all the chairs full. BUT, who stands around for 30 minutes to see if someone comes back???? Is the pool staff supposed to do this??

I think some common sense prevails here - if all you see on a chair is a towel and no sign of a person - I doubt they are in the pool. If they are swimming, wouldn't you expect to see some shoes, sunglasses, clothing on the chair too????? Some sign of life???

People who just drop a towel and run deserve to be booted!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;16;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Voyager of the Seas
Tahitian Princess - 10/03 (Our Honeymoon)
Carnival Paradise - 08/02

Yes, that's perfect. "some sign of life"

I agree, if it appears that someone is using the chair, and just in the pool, than I would imagine this would be pretty obvious. I am 6'4" and 220lbs., but I am not into bullying people around; in fact, I am quite docile. However, I am not going to be worried that someone might come back from a leisurely lunch and find their belongings on the deck beside me. I imagine if someone wants to really start trouble, the staff would confine the offender to their quarters.

5/8 Caribbean Princess

On our last full day on board the Grand in February, it was finally a beautiful, sunny sea day. It was impossible to find a lounge chair and several arguments broke out when, in spite of the notices posted all over, folks reserved chairs and then rarely occupied them. One man, who was obviously an insurance attorney, had quite the loud “discussion” with the deck staff when they stopped him from removing chairs from the teen area so he could have six chairs together for his group. He then tried to argue that, since he couldn’t remove the chairs, he would and could park himself in there. When the deck staff told him that there were insurance issues involved in having adults in the teen area, he attempted to challenge them to an insurance liability debate. He even tried to argue that he was a teen - to no avail (not many teens have a receding hair line and facial wrinkles). Eventually, he grabbed chairs from someplace and put all six together on deck 15, right at the top of the staircase leading up from the dolphin pool, obstructing traffic. He placed his towel and tube of sunscreen on one chair, told his teenaged daughter to occupy the end one and then sat at the bar for the remainder of the afternoon, periodically strolling over and wiping his face on the towel. His wife showed up occasionally and used one of the middle chairs and a couple of others from his party made brief appearances, but otherwise, the chairs sat empty all afternoon. We made sure to comment on the chair-reserving situation on our comment card at the end of the cruise as it spoiled an otherwise perfect day.

Southern on Dawn Princess Feb 28, 2005
Grand Princess Feb 15/04

Truly wish I had witnessed this. I would have loved to sit right next to him at the bar, slowly and quietly reciting "jack_ _ _", jack _ _ _" jack _ _ _ "

09/87 Old Rotterdam
10/89 Noordam
9/90 Noordam
9/92 Star Princess (old)
4/94 Regal Princess
3/04 Dawn Princess

As I posted on a different chair hog topic, we recently returned from the Sun Princess and I had the best time moving those chair hogs towels, nappy old books, 10cent sunglasses etc to the edge of the pool...let em get all wet! Who cares!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;14;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Adventure Martian Mania Madness!!!!

Chris
[email]MamaTene@aol.com[/email]

We just took there stuff and threw it on the deck. Only once did someone come back ( an hour later) and say it was there seat. I told them I didnt think so do to the fact we just saw the people get up and said we could have them. They stood there for a min with a stupid look on there face, then picked up there wet book, and cheap sunglasses and left. They left the wet towels laying there.
(Move your feet, lose your seat )

We were recently on the Diamond and you won't have trouble getting a lounge chair. There are more of them than there are passengers. There is a great place to sunbathe on the Diamond so every morning the chairs were "reserved". We would just watch the chair for about 45 minutes (while we ate in the Horizon Court). Then my husband would move the "reserved" chair off to the side and put his own chair where he wanted it. Only once did someone say something to us. We just told her about the 30 minute rule and she said something nasty and walked away.

Dowser,
I think your suggestion is the best so far. I am going to use that on our CP cruise May 15th. I mean, what can that say in response? Great idea!

WooHoo, cruisin' again in May 2004!

Archived