Need Recommendation on which Cruise line for full transit - Panama Canal

chelsea_gal

A group of 6 of us are planning to do the Panama Canal early 2008 late Feb, March ( not easter) or April.

The age range is in the mid 40's early 50's.

Members of the group have sailed in the past with either Royal Carribbean, HAL and Princess.

We have be reading a lot on each line and really cannot decide which cruise line to book with.

We are looking for a mix of relaxation, but also some good entertainment in the evenings.

Would like any comments/feedback on this.

we are in your same age range and will be going in 4 weeks on the Mercury out of San Diego. Will let you know how it was when we get back. I have been on Mercury before and it is a beautiful and wonderful ship and not too huge like those big princess ships and some of the RCL ships.

• 2 weeks later...

MTemple12 and motherchic, I know you are both going thru the Panama canal this winter. I am thinking of going from San Diego in very late October. I put a post acting if anyone had done it then, and what I could expect as far as smooth or rough seas, etc. (knowing it is still hurricane season, though the tail end). I wonder if you could ask the crew when you said and let me know when you get back. Hope you have a wonderful time. It sounds like such an exciting cruise. Thanks in advance for any help!

• 2 months later...

DH would love to do a full transit of the Panama Canal. There is a significant price difference between full and partial transits. I was wondering if you would get the same experience by taking a shore excursion that goes all the way through the canal on a ship that makes a partial transit? Also, if doing a partial, is it better to start on the Pacific side or the Atlantic? Any thoughts on which is best for the money between HAL, Princess and Celebrity? TIA

• 2 weeks later...
DH would love to do a full transit of the Panama Canal. There is a significant price difference between full and partial transits. I was wondering if you would get the same experience by taking a shore excursion that goes all the way through the canal on a ship that makes a partial transit? Also, if doing a partial, is it better to start on the Pacific side or the Atlantic? Any thoughts on which is best for the money between HAL, Princess and Celebrity? TIA

My husband & I did a full transit April 2006 on the Sun Princess from Ft Lauderdale back to Seattle, Wa 17 days and it was an enjoyable experience. The Sun princess is a beautiful ship for her then 10 years, but Balcony rooms were her bad side. Recommend a newer ship. a Full Transit will not allow you any off time until you get to one end or the other. The experience of going thru Locks is woth it. Only reason we went E to W, is we live on the West coast so wanted to end on our side. Can't speak for other lines, can't go wrong with Princess or RCCL.

Full transit on the Coral or Island Princess would be the way to go, IMHO. There is something about both of those ships that is just wonderful. Whichever is doing the transit when you want to sail would be a great choice. We have been on both of them, done the canal twice, you will have a wonderful time, I am sure.

I have done 2 full transits and a partial. On the partial, we took a smaller boat from Gatun Lake through the Pacific locks. While it was a nice trip, I strongly prefer the full transit. I would suggest checking out the Island Princess. It is doing a series of full transits this winter. We are on the Island Princess from San Juan to Acapulco on 12/4/07. The fare was good (between Thanksgiving and Christmas seems to be one of the least expensive times of year to cruise), and we were able to get a good airfare on our own (Minneapolis to San Juan and Acapulco to Minneapolis for about the same as a round trip from Minneapolis to Ft Lauderdale). If early December works for you, I'd check it out.

There are 8 of us going on the Panama canal full transit...from Fort Lauderdale to L.A. In April 2008. The great part about it is not only are we going to spend 15 glorious days on the Island Princess but when we get off the ship we are going to spend a couple days in Disneyland before going home :D I hear the Island and Coral princess ships are wonderful, I found this real cool websight with virtual tours of a bunch of the ships.

happy cruising....

http://www.virtualtoursusa.com/galleryships.htm

• 4 weeks later...

I just did a full transit in May on the Carnival Elation, from Port Canaveral FL to San Diego. We had a suite on the starboard side of the ship with a balcony. I thought the whole process was fascinating, my wife seemed bored.:rolleyes:

Would I do it again? DW: NO!... Me: Maybe, but I'd want to see what went on, on the side of the canal that we didn't see.

• 2 weeks later...

My family and I are going on Crystal Cruise's "Serenity" from Miami to LA, beginning January 4th for 15 nights. We did a Crystal cruise last year in the Mediterranean and were pampered from beginning to end.

Chuck-

PS. There is a West to East cruise on the Crystal Symphony as well, in case you are interested. See www.crystalcruises.com for details. Look under "Destinations" for "Panama Canal" and the various options will display.

Disclaimer: I lecture on ships going through the Canal and I live in Panama.

The problem with many ships that do a "complete Canal transit" is just that: they barrel through, repositioning usually, without giving you any opportunity to get off and explore Panama. Panama is a land of incredible variety for such a small squiggle on the map! You at least owe it to yourself to select an itinerary that spends some time in Panama and offers some excursions in Panama.

Holland America I know has a couple of longer itineraries next year that include some time in Panama.

Some cruise line tours have you get off mid way, and you miss the last set of locks. Frankly, not a problem. Generally people who stay on board the entire 9-10 hours are doing other things by the time they get to the second set of locks. You can have both, if you pick the right itinerary!

I swear this photo was taken on the second set of locks on INFINITY!

Infinity0001.jpg.4ce2a7ea2fa0aed2974d8b9eff6c142b.jpg

Panama has a lot to offer, so take advantage and get off the ship and see something.

I like the Embera tour. See other postings and comments on this tour under a separate thread. It's not perfect, but given the short time frame available it does give you insight into a unique group of folks trying to preserve a culture. Panama's not a first world country, but it is a strong second world country, and it's tough, even here, to maintain a culture. The Embera are one of 7 indigeneous groups that were here before Columbus. Quite unique, actually (I do a lecture about this on board ships)

Forget the train. It's usually sold out, and I wouldn't take my one day in Panama to do the train. It sounds good, but . . .

Most cruise lines offer some kind of rain forest tour . . . again, limited time, but it will give you a taste and is a unique experience for most folks.

Most lines offer an all day tour that includes Panama City. OK there are 3 million people in the country of Panama and 2 million live in Panama City, so there will be lots of traffic. But it will give you a glimpse of a rapidly growing Latin American capital city that's quickly becoming the "Hub of The Americas."

What you experience in the Canal and on the tours is one small part of Panama. Yes, it will be hot, humid and probably rain sometime during the day. Where I live it's always Spring like: 70-78 degrees, cool, high in the mountains. So Panama is incredibly varied. Costa Rica gets all the press for ecology and variety of species, etc., but that's because tourism is their big business. (Money is Panama's big business!) But Panama has as much if not more than Costa Rica, is safer, the people are friendlier, and the currency is the US dollar.

• 2 weeks later...
we are also in that age range and we are sailing on the Summit, 2 week, Panam Canal cruise come this February.

I promise i will write a review.

I have never gone wrong with a good review from these boards

Good luck with your choice

Nadine

I am going to book a PC sailing in a day or so. I asm trying to decide which would be best. Celebrity has great deals and I like their ships. I hear many people who have taken Princess and RCCL so I am a little unsure if there is a reason why they seem to be prefered?

I'm fairly happy no matter what but I'm looking for a few opinions and you guys are helpful.:)

We are also doing a full transit on the Radiance of the Seas Nov.4,2007. (LA to Ft. Lauderdale) I have been searching the threads to find out what is a better way to go: stay on the ship thru the canal, or go into Panama?? HELP!! Decisions, decisions......:confused:

If you have not done a full transit of the Canal, I would reccomend staying on board. While there are lots of interesting things to do and see in Panama, the Canal is unique and certainly the "big ticket" item. A complete transit gives you the entire picture of locking through the locks, sailing across the continental divide, then across Gatun Lake and then down Gatun Locks. Lots of engineering to marvel at, as well as plenty of scenery. Usually the ship provides a compehensive narration about the construction and operation of the canal.

Besides, if you stay on the ship you will have a great excuse for another cruise, say a partial transit, so you can come back and see the country!

I am going to book a PC sailing in a day or so. I asm trying to decide which would be best. Celebrity has great deals and I like their ships. I hear many people who have taken Princess and RCCL so I am a little unsure if there is a reason why they seem to be prefered?

I'm fairly happy no matter what but I'm looking for a few opinions and you guys are helpful.:)

I believe that Princess and RCCL are the most popular is they offer the most Canal cruises over a longer period of time.

• 5 weeks later...

No one seems to be mentioning Holland America for the full transit through the Panama Canal. Four couples have booked the January 2008 on the Maasdam. We haven't been on the Maasdam, but we have traveled with HAL many many times, and have been pleased every time. We liked the HAL itinerary because it took us to the "other side" after having spent many days in the Caribbean. Can't wait!:)

Archived