Best Online Photosharing service?

Best Online Photosharing site?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Best Online Photosharing site?

• Flickr
    • Photobucket
    • Snapfish by HP
    • Shutterfly

Now that Yahoo Photos is closing, I have to pick a new site to host my pics on in order to get them on here. Who should I go with? Flickr, Photobucket, Snapfish, or Shutterfly?

I want easy linking to my pics from a site like CC, without everyone wanting to look them having to sign up for a service. Even better would be the ability to view the pics in my posts without having to add them on as an attachment. I don't at this point care about getting prints, but may want to someday be able to get prints from a retailer near me.

Any tips? Tricks? Advice?

http://www.pbase.com

(Write-in vote)

http://Picasaweb.google.com

(Another write-in)

Here are my galleries at both for review, if you wish:

http://www.pbase.com/pierce324

http://picasaweb.google.com/pierce324

Pbase is $23/yr and Picasa is free.

Whatever youdecide, you should consider downloading Picasa as an organizational tool. It's free, but I would absolutely pay for it!

Dave

Dave, I don't know what else to say, except, your galleries are Awesome! I wish I had half the talent as you.

I was just getting ready to ask you if you could post movies on Picasa, but, looking at the galleries answered that question for me.

Thanks for the links.

Dave, I don't know what else to say, except, your galleries are Awesome! I wish I had half the talent as you.

I was just getting ready to ask you if you could post movies on Picasa, but, looking at the galleries answered that question for me.

Thanks for the links.

Thanks for the nice words!

I don't post many vid clips...'cause I don't have many. They also eat up a lot of storage space. But sometimes, a video says it better!

Dave

A second write-in for PBase (Dave and I are the resident PBase users around here apparently!). Super-easy to use, quantity is set on total MB, with the size and resolution completely up to you, can buy in 500MB increments, very professional, mass-file uploads using .zip files, and all the linking to message boards you want.

Feel free to browse my PBase galleries:

www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

I also have an older online gallery with another company, but they only allow low-res pics at a max size of 1024x768 - which is why last year I switched to PBase...I wanted to be able to post super-low-compressed jpegs for maximum quality.

I want easy linking to my pics from a site like CC, without everyone wanting to look them having to sign up for a service. Even better would be the ability to view the pics in my posts without having to add them on as an attachment. I don't at this point care about getting prints, but may want to someday be able to get prints from a retailer near me.

Any tips? Tricks? Advice?

I like Photobucket. I link to the pictures and nobody has to even leave the page they are on to see the photos (nor do they have to become a member). Currently Photobucket.Com allows 1 GB of free storage. Here are a few photos from Photobucket.Com ...

Something I found swimming in my pool one day ...

May22_08.jpg

One of my co-works (who can do the work of four people) ...

Ollie.jpg

This shirt was white before the birds got to it ...

Colorfulbirds.jpg

This guy held me up. Unfortunately he had a mask on, so I could not identify him ...

stickup.jpg

And of course a cheese cake photo ...

girl-seal.jpg

I suggest a look at Smugmug. I picked smugmug a little over a year ago, principally due to the ability to organize your photos into categories and subcategories of galleries. For example on my site I can have a category called "cruises" and within cruises I can have both galleries of photos for specific cruises, as well as sub-categories of galleries for those cruises where I want to post so many photos that it makes sense to split them into different groups.

Look at the link below, it takes you straight into my Cruises category and on the top you'll see links to several subp0categories for specific cruises, and on the bottom a bunch of single galleries.

I also like the features, layout, and use of Smugmug overall. It does allow direct linking to a particular photo in forums and messages, and allows one to do so in various sizes. The photo size and memory allowances are also pretty generious.

Although I voted for photobucket, I think it's merely "okay" not great.

I don't like the fact that I can't add minor descriptions (other than a title) to my pictures.

Very often there's more to be told about a pic, than can fit into just a caption.

Still...photobucket is okay, just Not Great!

Sounds like a lot of you haven't tried snapfish. They are very easy to share photos and photo albums with others.

Also, easy to upload your photos from say "adobe photoshop" if that is where your photos automatically go to if that is on your computer.

Another vote for smugmug....you can see my galleries on the link in my signature. Easy sharing, can make things private if you want to share with only one or a few people, different packages with different functions. It's not free, but it is relatively inexpensive and so much better than any of the other free services I've used in the past. Good luck!

Hi. I tried Picasa for my recent Alaska trip and I was very pleased with it!

It was free, easy to use (so far) and no one has to join to view my photos. And, it was easy to write in captions when I wanted. When viewing the photos, the viewer has 3 size options to view the photos with.

Have a look and see what you think.

Denise

http://picasaweb.google.com/denizdfaz/AlaskaNCLPearl?authkey=xe_3AGqpt-c

Sounds like a lot of you haven't tried snapfish.

They are very easy to share photos and photo albums with others.

Oh I tried snapfish alright.

Had to sign up just to view someone else's pics. That's not cool.

You can view my (or anyone else's) pics at photobucket,

without needing to be forced into a sign-up.

THAT's the problem with snapfish:

- they want to force the whole world to sign up with them!!

(even to view someone's pics? I don't think so!)

I was just about to ask this same question on this board. I keep uploading my pictures to the different sites (webshots, photobucket, flickr) to see which I like best. A lot of people on here seem to like webshots.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Smugmug for sometime and it is tops. They have several levels and the medium and pro levels can be customized nicely. I'm headed for my first cruise and looking forward to posting it on my smugmug website. Smugmugs flexible categories, ease of customization, quality photofinishing at excellent prices and more make it the best, i feel.

Bob Laubach

Manassas, VA

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the nice words!I don't post many vid clips...'cause I don't have many. They also eat up a lot of storage space. But sometimes, a video says it better!Dave

Hi Dave....Trussman was dead on accurate....what a talent you are. I looked at all (well almost) and loved the family photos...Savanah's birth what a doll and the first birthday party. I also loved your cruise photos...and those of the Golden Gate Bridge...living in Northern California I see the bridge quite often....and love going to SF your photos were so beautiful. I also went to your website and enjoyed even more photos. I have seen you here on CC for a while now but just now felt like replying....I was so moved. Char

Hi Dave....Trussman was dead on accurate....what a talent you are. I looked at all (well almost) and loved the family photos...Savanah's birth what a doll and the first birthday party. I also loved your cruise photos...and those of the Golden Gate Bridge...living in Northern California I see the bridge quite often....and love going to SF your photos were so beautiful. I also went to your website and enjoyed even more photos. I have seen you here on CC for a while now but just now felt like replying....I was so moved. Char

Geez! Time for a new (larger) hat!

Thanks. I like to tell stories, and with the pictures I only have to tell them once! It's a hobby that has grown into a way of life.

Very rewarding...psychologically.;)

Dave

I like picasa, and it is free!!!!

I also like the photo organizer and editor that you can download to your computer, that is linked to picasa web.

Also pics load quickly when viewing them on the web.

MAC

I voted for Photobucket, but I do like Snapfish. I've gotten to know Photobucket well since joining this board, and the DIS boards. It is great to be able to post a pic easily. And it is great because your friends don't have to sign up. However, once they've signed up, they're signed up. No big deal. Snapfish uploads quicker, you can put a huge description if you'd like, AND, my favorite part, not only can you share, but you can have prints made without having to load to another site. .12/print or .10 if you prebuy 1000 for $100.

I find Webshots' way of organizing, the ability to add titles and descriptions and tags (which help people looking for your pictures) very user friendly. Also, you can view shots at full size or reduced for quicker download.

Another service which has a great community associated with it is Fotki.com

Archived