civitavecchia to rome? transportation

hi everyone,

this is a great board. when we have finished our trip, i will be sure to post and surf so i can offer my two cents. in the meantime, pls. forgive my gratuitous mooching of free advice from all of you!

i have a question about getting from civitavecchia to rome on our own. our ship docks in civitavecchia and we plan to spend a few days in rome before heading up to venice. all of this will be on our own, so any advice/comments/memories would be great.

but my real reason for posting is that we are wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how to get from the dock to rome? train? taxi? shuttles? i know there is a train from civitavecchia to rome. is the train station walking distance from the port?

we are, of course, interested in the most economical way of going about this. so, we won't be walking! (and least i hope not!)

thanks in advance for your advice, everyone - it's really appreciated!

mnm

The dock is a fair walk to the station, about a mile and when we disembarked last year, there were no taxis to be seen. We had organized a driver from home before we left to pick us up and take us to the airport. I asked him to show us the station and there would have been no way for us to wheel our heavy luggage to the train.

We found that our driver was cheaper than using the ship's shuttle to the airport and we went in style and luxury.

Jennie

we're sharing a private car w/another cruise couple to take us to Rome. The company we've booked with is called Bob's Limousine & Tours in Rome. It was cheaper than using Princess's transfer service and will be a lot more convenient too! They will drop us off at different hotels.

Uh-oh! My plan was to take a taxi to the train station, then on to Rome, and according to Aussie Gal, there were no taxi's at the port. This is the first time I have seen anyone say this, what are other's experience? Has anyone else had trouble getting a cab to the train station????

In April there was plenty of taxis available right at the gangway, although most want to be rented for the whole day for about 250-300 Euros. We begrudgingly paid the 10 Euro fare to go less than a kilometer to the train station. On the way home we walked 4 blocks to the port entrance and rode the free port shuttle bus (every 20 ") right to the ship.

At the station, trains run about twice an hour and we purchased return ticket to Roma San Pietro for 9.40 e; one way 6.20. The ride was about 45 min. or Roma Termini 1: 05 '. I believe a Taxi from San Pietro to Piazza Navone cost 6 euros.

It was really easy, and we beat the ship's tour buses to the Vatican Museum by 15-30 minutes. The train starts at Civitavecchia so there's no problem boarding for seats or suitcases.

Sounds like a great vacation, enjoy !

Peter M

Hi All,

From reading these boards and my own experience. I think what you do has a great deal to do with what you want and how port intensive your cruise has been. Fore instance, do you just want to get to your hotel, relax, unpack, and begin your adventure in Rome or do you want your adventure of Rome to begin at the port? If the former, your choice is hire a driver to get you to your hotel. There are many suggestions on the boards, in addition to the one made above.

Again, once in Rome what do you want to do. Be driven around to sights or go on small intimate walking tours lead by experts in their fields, using public transportation. The same is true of Venice, as well. There are three major limousine companies recommended on these boards, which typically transport you for less than the ships transfer. LimousinesinRome, MaxLeotta@tiscali.it, and the one previously mentioned.

Trains in Italy are easy and frequent. This is clearly how the Italians travel.

For small intimate walking tours, contact info@contextrome.com. as recommended by Rick Steves.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Regards,

Shannon

We arrived in port on a Tuesday and we got off the ship around 8.15am. I am wondering if you disembark earlier, you might find a taxi. We weren't being picked up until after 8.30am.

I know there weren't any taxis as there were very few cars at the ship and one of our friends was looking for some kind of transport to get them to the airport.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

Turtle Mike,

We found the Civitavecchia taxi drivers the most ruthless and miserable of our 11 port Med. trip (although Montecarlo was a close second). They will not stop reading their newspaper for less than 10 euros for a 3 min. run, less than a mile.

Finding no one to split fare at the train station, we started walking down the main coast road towards the port entrance, about 4-5 blocks. At the port entrance we were delighted to find a free Port of Civitavecchia Shuttle bus that took us right to the ship's gangway.

Several passengers who did not venture off to Roma used the shuttle which ran every 20 min. to go shopping and dining in Civitavecchia and said theyhad a great stress-free day in port.

• 2 weeks later...

we are just back from the galaxy there is a free port shuttle bus from the ship to the port gates but you still have to walk to the station about a mile it was very hot so we did not fancy the walk with the kids and all our luggage.booked romashuttle they where waiting when we disembarked and took us to our hotel it was 130 euros.there were no taxis available when we got off the ship at 9.00am

• 1 month later...

:o Brenda, if you missed my rhetoric on the other thread, we found taking the train very simple and painless, with only a 30 word Italian vocabulary (which really wasn't needed).

The train starts at Civi and ends at Roma Termini. After 45 min. upon approaching the built up area of central Rome, emerging from a short tunnel there it was, the huge Vatican Dome up on the hill 600 yards North. Sure enough the platform sign said "Roma- San Pietro" so we got off.

Going back. it's like any other open-air, commuter staion any where; its a cenral island platform and a train approached heading in the right direction (west) at the right time; we asked a lady " Civitavecchia ? " -- "Si- Si".

The last mile or so the train follows the sea coast and we could see our ship the Regatta in the distance. Honest, piece of cake. Mind you, we used to take daily commuter trains to work and have taken the Paris/ Barcelona/ Zurich Metros without any problems either as I'm sure most people have done at some time or similar form.

Hope this helps, I am jealous of you & your Roman adventure. Tell us how it goes.

Regards, Peter M

Peter, I have read both of your posts and find them both to be very informative. I am feeling better about giving this a try. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to look into it. A couple more questions if I may. When you got off at Roma San Peitro you said you took a taxi to the vatican. Do you think it could have been walked or is it too far. I really enjoy walking (I know you had a rainy day). When you buy your round trip ticket, (do you buy a round trip?) did you have to say what train you would be taking back-or do you just buy a one way each way? Were the people at the shore excursion desk a bit helpful in all of this? We too will be on Oceania. Thanks so much for all of your input, both my husband and I have been reading all of the posts and find them very helpful.

brenda

You may want to sign up to www.ViaMichelin.com site, It was the invaluable for all our independent tours. My guess of 600-700 would appear to pretty good: try

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr/dyn/controller/ItiWGPerformPage?E_wg=210504277iS704276062752460225ITIWG6h10133gbr0065104j102s10112m102f11090000006120006Uk9NQQ000kUk9NQSBTQU4gUElFVFJP10101b0lREP_TA_438003000475236SERREP11100131i10111c101511090000006120006Uk9NQQ000aVkFUSUNBTg1100012010010072004276039.004-1.00110001001001001001001003gbr011&stat=ambiguous_iti&strDestChoice=1

click enlarge on right, and zoom.

The stazzione San Pietro is on one hill and the Bascillica is on another. Our taxi skirted around the back of the Vatican as our destination was the Museo entrance. I'm sure a 10-15 min. walk would be tops.

The tickets were one-way 6.20, or 9.40 return. (somewhere here I read this summer that for 2-3 euros more you can add Rome buses and Metro for the day).

You must punch ticket in the Transfer machine to time validate your ticket in each direction. The train is on a honor system and the fines are steep (50 +) if challenged by a ticket inspector. It's a commuter train and no reservations are possible so your ticket is good on any train. If you come back during rush hour, you may have to stand for a few stops.

I learned everything beforehand from these boards and others like Fodors. Rome is the highlight of cruise and destination services sold 8-10 busloads and was too busy to answer our questions, if they knew any more than we had gleaned.

The 1-day all-inclusive ticket to which Peter referred is called the BIRG. It will cover the roundtrip commuter train transfer between Civ & Rome on all trains but the express trains + all subway and bus rides in the city. This summer, it was 9E per person.

Let me just add to Peter's excellent explanations that you can print out the timetables for the trains, with each stop noted, at http://www.trenitalia.com Just input your journey, e.g., Civitavecchia and Rome, date and time, and the first screen will show you 4-6 trains in that time period. You can continue to the next screen to see the subsequent time period. This is a good exercise to illustrate the frequency with which this commuter link is served by trains. (To people who are researching this for 2005 trips, note that the train schedules could change, so remember to update this search closer to your trip to get accurate info. With that said, expect any modifications to be minor, as this is an established commuter link.) Now, just for grins, select one of the trains. The next screen will contain a few more details pertinent to that train. Now, select that train number. Voila! You will see a detailed timetable for that train's stops. This is nice to confirm the intermediate stops--including the S. Pietro stop--for those who wish to get off/back on at an intermediate junction vs. at Termini.

Of course, you don't want to be "wed" to taking a particular train because you can't be sure which one you'll make at the beginning of your day. (I do recommend that you get mentally wed to a particular train for the return trip, allowing for a back-up train in the unlikely event you don't make the target train that will return you on a comfortable time table.)

Look at the duration times. You will note the average train ride is an ave. 1h10m from Civ to Termini (Rome's main station). The infrequent trip that is just under an hour in duration is on the express train not covered by the BIRG ticket. Note, also, if you are planning to get off early for a Vatican visit, e.g., you probably do NOT want to take an express train. Definitely look at the detailed timetable for an express train to see what stops, if any, are made between Civ & Termini. IIRC, there is usually one stop, but it is not S. Pietro.

----

This train is great for the port day visitor. It is also not bad for people arriving/departing on their cruises if all luggage can be rolled and carried without difficulty. You can stow luggage in overhead bins, at your feet, etc.--I would not use the luggage storage usually located at one end of a train car unless I could sit right there by it.

One poster recalled the walk between the port shuttle bus stop and the train station as a mile. I don't think it was that far. It took us no more than 10 minutes. The walk is flat sidewalks/roadways except for the slight hill to the train station.

I recently flew to Rome and cruised back to the US. I read this thread before going. As a result, I used the train with little trepidation. I thank the previous writers. Mindeful of this thread, and having a computer with me, I wrote (at the time) the following, intending to post it here. I hope it may prove useful to someone else. babu

From Civitavecchia to Rome by train

I had noted a lot of interest by cruise passengers, who wanted to travel independently, in getting to and from the cruise ship to Rome and return. So, I took special note of items that might interest them.

I was running only from Rome to the cruise ship, but the information really covers both directions.

The Termini is the central train station in Rome. Just outside is a bus station from which you can get to any part of Rome you like. There are also taxis outside, and information booths both inside and outside the Termini building. There are change offices both inside and outside.

The train from Roma to Civitavecchia runs every our on the xx:35 min. The cost was $E6.50 and it left from track 24, easily found by an airport-type overheard timetable and large numbers indicating the various tracks. The destination as also shown on the individual coaches.

Some coaches are double-deckers, air-conditioned. There are racks at the entry where suitcases can be left while the passengers relaxed in fairly comfortable seats. No one came though to check tickets.

My train was a whistle stop, taking about 75 minutes from door to door. Some trains may have been express, but I was not in a big hurry. Even though I knew Cit’ia was at the end of the line, I checked the names of the stops in between, which were clearly shown on the structures. There were no verbal announcements that I could hear.

Getting off at Civitavecchia, it was easy to determine which direction to go to get to the port. Taxis were available, but clearly people were determined to get to the port by walking. The sidewalk was made of paving bricks, which did not make a smooth path either for walking or pulling suitcases. At some intersections, there were ramps that could be used; all to often, the suitcase had to be pulled over a small drop, causing some small problems if there were packages or another case on top of the wheeled suitcase.

By staying on the sidewalk (on the right side of the road from the Terminal entrance), more such ups and downs occurred, and there was less shade, than by crossing the street to the oceanside promenade. This was an unobstructed walkway, although still made of the bricks. The walk was 15-20 minutes.

Just inside the gate to the port, there was a bus stop. No one checked passports or luggage or anything at this point. You just got on a bus (after making sure it went to the ship you wanted, as they didn’t have signs) and ended up at your ship.

For folks going into Rome, the reverse trip would be:

Bus to port entrance

Walk on right sidewalk (Promenade side) 15 minutes, crossing the street to get to the train terminal.

Buying the ticket and boarding for the 75 minutes to Roma’s Central Termini.

Now, what to do? This depends on the particular desires of the individuals. So, this is merely by way of recommendation:

The bus station is just outside the terminal. Between the lanes of buses are some information stands and waiting stations. One stand, in aisle D, has an I sign above it. Here, for $E13, you can buy an all day pass on an open double-decker bus that you can see parked in a right hand lane. Often there are two buses, one loading up as the other leaves with a full load.

I recommend this tour as a way to get oriented to Roma. On getting aboard, you’ll receive a map showing the major antiquities, plazas, etc. The tour takes about two hours and passes several prominent churches, the antiquities of the Coliseum, the Roman Forum, the Circus Maximus, and many more. This bus does not get to the Pantheon or the Spanish steps, each of which will require a 5-6 block walk. It will stop at the St. Peter’s Cathedral in Vatican City for 20 minutes before continuing on past some other ruins and churches and government buildings and picturesque plazas and fountains. You’ll also pass through some upscale shopping streets. This bus has headphone where you can listen to the names and descriptions of the various sites, in whatever major language you prefer.

If you know in advance what you want to see, you can get off at the stop nearest that point, go to the site, then pick up the sightseeing bus later to continue the tour, ending up back at Termini. However, if the desire is to see St Peter’s Cathedral and the Vatican Museum, that is an all day event, primarily due to the crowds. To stop at the Coliseum and try also to see the Vatican would best be done by a purchased tour. There are tour offices in the Termini.

After doing the two hour tour, you can stay on the bus for a second round, where you can get off at specific sites. In addition to the variety of sites visited by this bus, you’ll have the advantage of being high enough to see over some walls and can get a much better view of the excavations.

I did as you said and went on the Trenitalia site, I had been on it before, but did not realize that one could actually print the stops. I printed several of them in the time I feel we will be commuting each way. I plan to take those with me for reference.

On the hop on hop off bus, does it come around often, say every 20 min. or so? It may be our best means of transportation.

Thanks again for all of your help. I have been able to locate the stations, etc on the map and now can begin to plan our day.

We did this the other way around a couple of years ago. The train from cia-whatchamacallit to rome is frequent. takes you to the main station in rome. there is a train from there to the airport. there were a number of vans that were cabs waiting at the train station. I imagine you can get a van at the ship when leaving just as easy. private car would be nicer but my guess is way more expensive than cab and train. only problem with the train is if it is on an inside track you have to manage stairs going under the other tracks. may be a problem with lots of luggage. Have fun.

Hi, does anyone know if one can get off the train at S. Pietro station, go visit the Vatican, and then use same ticket to continue on to Rome?

I suppose you have to stamp the ticket everytime you get on the train?

Thanks

Ken

You can get off at St. Peter's. We did that just last week. However, you're better off catching the 110 bus or taking a taxi from there. By the time you walk back to the station (still a fair walk from St. Peter's) and wait for the next train, you could already be where you wanted to go.

Archived