norovirus

bpl1

On the first day of our cruise last year my wife became sick with the norovirus. It pretty much put her out of commission for the entire 11 day cruise.

The line offered $300 credit towards next cruise in compensation.

What is reasonable compensation?

tks

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing.

If she became sick the first day, she likely brought it on board. Incubation period for Noro is 24-48 hours. It's also rare that Noro lasts more that 2-3 days. She may have had something else.

Was she ever tested for Noro? Were sample taken? Or was it just assumed it was Noro?

Generally Norovirus symptoms last only 48 hours. Sounds like your wife came on board with something else. I agree with chessbriar.

I don't believe you can get compensated much more than you did..it's about a 2 days' cost on board. Did they quarantee you? For how long? Was your room sterilized after the quarantee? There are guidelines the ship has to follow if it is indeed norovirus. Generally if one stateroom has "been hit" with Noro, others catch it too. Did you see the ship taking unusual steps like spraying stair railings, elevator button pads etc with disinfectants? Serving everything at the buffets including the beverages? Another sign that noro is on board.

I do think it is reasonable. I think it all depends on the circumstances. If one gets it a few days after being on board some cruise lines give a credit, some give a credit equivalent to the daily per diem rate and others do nothing.

Keith

On the first day of our cruise last year my wife became sick with the norovirus. It pretty much put her out of commission for the entire 11 day cruise.

The line offered $300 credit towards next cruise in compensation.

What is reasonable compensation?

tks

Hi bpl1 and welcome to the CC .

I am not an expert on norovirus or any other illness but I do agree with the other posters - that probably the cruise line did not do any thing wrong to cause your wife's illness ..... so why should they pay any compensation at all ?

I am sorry that your wife got sick and was "out of commission for the entire 11 day cruise " - we do get sick everywhere - my wife got some sort of intestinal virus / bacteria while being hospitalized for other more serious problem ( the intestinal infection / problem showed up during her 2nd week of the 3 week hospitalization) - no one gave us any compensation or a discount for a future visit / stay.

Wes

The way it worked on Royal Caribbean was that if you were officially quarantined in your room, the compensation was a given amount for each day of quarantine.

The thing of it is, if one person in a cabin is quarantined, all who are in that cabin are quarantined for 24 hours also whether they feel sick or not. In order to be quarantined, the sick one has to have gone to the medical center on the ship to be evaluated by the nurses or doctor. The quarantine form is filled out. You have to agree to be quarantined. If you don't agree, but they believe you are sick, the paper says you will be put off the ship at the next port at your own expense.

So those who were sick but didn't report the illness to avoid an official quarantine will not be compensated.

I was quarantined three days on Liberty. I really was sick that long. Hubby was quarantined only 24-hours. So RCI did compensate me for three days and Hubby for one.

I might add that it is not straight up cash-and-carry compensation. You MUST book another cruise. You must take that cruise within a year of the cruise on which you were ill. You must book the same class of cabin, not higher or lower. If your compensation adds up to more than the value of the cruise you book, you will lose the extra amount. You cannot carry it over to another cruise.

Each person who was compensated for illness must use his certificate only for his own ticket. In other words, I cannot apply my cruise certificate to a cruise ticket for my son. I can use it only for a cruise I take.

I do feel Royal Caribbean is generous to give any compensation at all, even with strings attached. But it is enlightened for them to do so, because they know it is good business. Afterall, some folks might not ever cruise again after an experience of being ill a significant part of a cruise...or any part of a cruise for that matter.

Not all cruiselines do compensate passengers for Norovirus outbreaks. Maybe it would be best to check the fine print of cruise documents or contracts.

On the first day of our cruise last year my wife became sick with the norovirus...What is reasonable compensation?..

As others have stated, take the 300 and run since they owe you nothing.

If your wife in fact had Noro, she was infected BEFORE she got on the boat and in fact could have caused an outbreak. This nasty little bug takes about 24 hours to muliply in your system before taking you out of the action.

Just to keep things in perspective. On land in the US, 18-23 million people become infected with the Norwalk virus (Noro virus) every year. That is 1 for every 12 individuals in the US. The Norwalk is the second most contagious virus. The most contagious virus is influenza.

And yes, the odds are that it is the passengers who are bringing the virus on board the ship.

Archived