San Francisco Cruise Port Hotel With Flight Into Oakland, Calif.

SUNDOWNER

Advice on cheapest and best way when flying into Oakland airport on Southwest on Monday before Tuesday cruise this Sept. 2004 on Sun Princess. Trying to avoid extra costs of shuttles, etc. Should we get hotel in Oakland or SFO??

Please help.

My wife and I are going to fly into Oakland, nonstop with Southwest. Looks like we will bite the bullet and take a cab into SanFrancisco. I bid 4* on priceline (west Union Square area) and got the Hilton San Francisco for $79 a night. We are spending two nights there before boarding the Mercury. Looks like the cab charge will be in the $50 range, but it's much better to stay in SF. The cab from the hotel to the port is not a big deal.

Enjoy! Kel

I would go to SF the day you fly in and stay there. I recently stayed at the Hyatt at Fishermans Wharf for a bid of $65 on Priceline. It was an easy walking distance to the port and also near many good restaurants and a Safeway grocery store. I grew up in SF and while the Fishermans Wharf area can have a bit of a "cheesey" atmosphere there are lots of interesting things to do and see there and you wouldn't have to pay another cab in the morning. Have fun. :)

Thanks for wonderful advice!!:rolleyes:

Doris --

Thanks for your advice. Since you know the area -- received coupon today which expires 3/2005 for 1 free night from our Marriott rewards membership and wondered if there is a Courtyard, Residence Inn or one of their other hotels in this area -- it has to be one of their caterogy 1, 2, 3, or 4 hotels.

Also, if we fly into Oakland on Monday at around 1:35 pm -- we would be in no hurry to get across bay to hotel. Should we take shuttle (which one??), taxi, or use BART. Don't want a lot of complications, but thought you could advise. Also, if we fly in day of cruise at 1:35 pm and take taxi to port -- would this be enough time to allow for traffic, etc. to get to ship by 4 pm?? Afraid, plane might be delayed, traffic accidents to cause delays,, etc. and seriously thinking of coming day early -- what your advice?

Thanks so much:cool:

I am sorry but I can't really help you with the transportation part. We have never had to get from OAK to SF without just driving our car. I am sure BART would be do-able and believe there is a van or something that provides transport from OAK to the Oakland BART Station, but once in SF it will be about a 1 1/2 mile walk or you could take the streetcar. It all depends on how much luggage you have.

I checked the Marriott website but the Fishermans Wharf Marriott is a 6 and the Courtyard there is a 5. Can you pay a little extra to upgrade your coupon?

If it were me this is exactly what I would do...I would look up the BART website and find out about the airport connecter. I would fly to OAK the day before, take BART to Embarcadero Center and then enjoy a leisurely walk (albeit strenuous since you will be dragging your suitcase behind you) down to Fishersman Wharf and the hotel. I would make a cancelable reservation for now (try the Best Western, Holiday Inn Express and Ramada Limited). About two weeks prior to your trip I would bid $60 for a three star at Fishermans Wharf. If it is not accepted, wait the three days they require and then bid again for $70 for three star Fishermans Wharf.

That would be my plan but I am a stay at home mom and can pinch a penny til Lincoln screams so it may not be attractive to you. If you want any more help feel free to email me at dorrob@comast.net. Have fun.

but then you have to find a way to get from OAK to San Francisco and that can start to cost a little. If you are fairly mobile you can take BART or you can look into a shuttle or cab :eek: . It is a lot easier to get from SFO to Fishermans Wharf but you may have to pay a lot more for airfare. See if you can find a great deal into SFO and grab it. :cool:

That is an amazing deal! Please post the airline so I can check it out. As far as hotels go as I said above you should be able to get a 3* priceline hotel for $60-$70 in the Fishermans Wharf area. One thing I did recently find out is that Budget has a rental desk at the Hyatt in Fishermans Wharf. They do not charge extra for one way rentals so you would be able to get a car at SFO and drop it off at the Hyatt after a day of siteseeing if you wanted. Or if you are very strong or don't have much baggage you can take BART from SFO to the Embarcadero Center and then walk to your hotel. All of the 3* hotels that come up in the FW area are very nice and there is also a large grocery store nearby for last minute necessities.

went to book today and SFO and it went up to 150, then I checked OAK and it was still 98, so I booked it. Now I am wondering if the cab or shuttle fare will be huge. I found a travelodge on Lombardo and also Columbus Streets, anyone know which one would be better. They are 89 and 84 a night. Is Priceline a better resource?

Thanks

Just pick the zone titled Fishermans Wharf and bid like $65 or $70. If you win you will get a hotel waaaaaaaaay better than the Travelodge and if you don't win you can try again in a few days or just stay with what you have. :)

Call them tomorrow to confirm your reservation. At that time you should be able to request king, 2 doubles, smoking, non etc. You will be in very easy walking distance to the pier. Also you may want to check out http://www.sfvisitor.org. They have an awesome free visitors packet with maps and coupons etc. The website says it takes like 4 weeks to get the packet but I had mine in 3 days. Although I live within 3 hours of SF I wanted to check out what they send. Some of the restaurant coupons are nice offering free appetizers with a purchase of a meal. Also there are some tour coupons. The map is great and with give you a real good idea where you will be staying. As far as getting to SF I would go with the shuttle. That is probably your best deal moneywise. Have a great trip.

I called husband and said that the rate for the Sheraton was 160 a night and we got it for 70.00, he was stunned. I thought Priceline was a annual fee based travel site. I was wrong. I will call and confirm tomorrow. Thanks also for the web site.

I went on the web site for Oakland airport and there is alot of info on the taxis and shuttles. Thanks again.

Wasup --

What did you decide to do for your taxi/shuttle from Oakland airport? Any tips? I called airport and they said there would be plenty of taxi and shuttles without having to make reservations -- have you found same info??

What is your ship and cruise date?

Sundowner, Since you mentioned BART and not being in a hurry to get to SF I'll tell you how it works. Just outside of Oakland Airport is a bus stop where you can catch a Bus for $2 PP that takes you to BART. BART to SF will run you about $3.15 PP. Total trip will take 1 hour max. BART has several stops along Market Street that will put you close of hotels. Then it's an easy cab ride to any of them.

Super Shuttle will take you from Oakland to SF Hotels for about $40 for two. I think the pricing is $25 for the first passenger and $15 for each additional. Advance reservations are required. Here's a link to their site.

http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/sfo.htm#Arrival

A cab will run you $50 to $60

Hope this helps.

Thanks all -- booked Sheraton at FW thru priceline (which was first time for us). Either will take shuttle or cab to hotel and have time to explore and take tours we hope. Then next day go to ship for cruise!! Keep helpful tips coming:cool:

Are you coming into the city on a weekend? My friend is trying to book with Priceline and she is going to be there on the weekend and she wasnt sure what price to bid for a hotel at FW..MAy I ask your successful bid? I bid also on Priceline and we bid 70 a night and we got the Sheraton also, we are there mid week.

Thanks

Hello everyone! Booked Sheraton at FW thru priceline for Monday, 9/27 and bid $60 and it was accepted. Excited since this was first time! Wish we had thought thru this and decided to fly in on Sunday so we would have extra time in SF, but with booking air and flights -- it got crazy and brain didn't work well during that timeframe. Have a great week;)

• 1 year later...

I was getting ready to jump on priceline.....until I saw the date.

I haven't tried Priceline yet, but looking at the rate's lately I'm ready to deal.

What has been accepted lately? Any help?

Archived